• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1973 courier/ ranger build

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Winter has struck so early haven't got garge fully insulated yet and minus 25 weather already this week that's Celsius.. trying to get it insulated poly up and more lights wired up this weekend so I can get the courier in and start ripping it apart. My wife thinks we should celebrate our anniversary so we will see how far I get I'm hoping to be giving real updates here soon. Really like readying through other builds to keep up my enthusiasm. Kids really add to the lack of time. But hopefully my 4 year old will help dad a bit

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
My polyurethane bushings showed up that I'm going to use for motor mounts. I've been trying to collect as much stuff as possible for when I get into this project so I can just giver as I go.

The garage wiring ended up being a night mare and I just got a spool of wire and 're did all the lights and cut out the sketchyness that was in there. Slower start but happy it's done 7 leds in a 400 sqft garage makes it nice. The wife and kids are going to the city tomorrow hope to get the last bit buttoned up and insulated. On Sunday my brother is going to come hold strapping while I nail it so have to be ready for him maybe by December I'll be getting at this project finally but at least it's well lit and not going to light on fire now at least not from the wiring [emoji39]

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
1987 jeep wagoneer d44s on leafs is this a good axle? Guy has a set for 200 should I be jumping on it?

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
1987 jeep wagoneer d44s on leafs is this a good axle? Guy has a set for 200 should I be jumping on it?

Jump Quick

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
I spoke for them he's pulling them for me so I guess I'm going leaf all around with d44s I don't know the ratios yet but that's not a real big issue but d44s woo

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual

Can't wait to see how yours turns out.
Your truck was one of thr inspiration shots i found when googling. I dont thibk ill be going as hard core as yours but as most projects go seem to want more. At least going d44s i can go farther

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Truck is coming into garage tomorrow garage is far enough along to get in there I'm pumped

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
There it is in the garage hope to start tearing down this week.. needs to be in the garage to warm the steel up and I can start the stripping on it.. I hope I can get the motor brought in before Christmas but we will see.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Tiny transmission on the old courier. I got the trans out and everything stripped to get the motor out don't have all my tools in the garage yet from moving need to grab a chain to hook on the motor and yank it. After that I just want to clean the 45 years of oil and grease off the truck before doing any building again.. told my wife I wouldn't do much right away but I'm hooked already lol I'll have the new motor hanging in there soon

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Motors out.. Now time to first use a gallon or two of spray nine and get it all cleaned up.

My next plan of attack is to cut all the spot welds on the battery tray and what was the horn and emissions mount.

Tunnel looks big enough for my bell housing to fit and the front cross member is already shaped right for my front sump pan on my Mercedes but the firewall looks like it's going to need modifying. The frame is so narrow up front I'm going to need to build a frame for leaf mounts.

I'm into it now so I hope I can keep updates coming as fast as I do them.

My motor was rebuilt already so it should be drop in but clearance will be the biggest issue to juggle.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Seats look like they will fit but I think im going to need a til steering wheel or at the least reposition it to get best angle.

My motor and trans along with my new d44s are suppose to get delivered to my garage here next Tuesday or Wednesday so I can start to lay out out how I'm going to do all this!

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Well i got my motor and axles here looks good as my ranger 64" leafs and brackets look like they will work on the courier as well I will need to tweak and adjust the brackets but I can salvage them.

By having the motor there and could measure back and forth to the truck and the motor and then marked and cut clearance on the fire wall for a starting point. I need my filter relocation kit before I can fit it back into the truck but good start and just need to keep cutting and cleaning up so I am ready when I get it.

I cut it square for what I need on the head and intake but will taper it for a nicer tunnel transition after I start trying to fit the motor hopefully in a couple weeks

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Well there's my problem right there....

Waiting for relocation kit from doomsdaydiesel.com third picture is what I ordered

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
I got my kit installed on my motor got it to sit in and back but ran into some more clearance issues around the alternator area as well as the factory cross member needs some trimming and modifying to clear the slightly wider lower pan on the merc. The turbo Westgate also was going to hit the suspension parts but not really worrying about that until i get the motor sitting where I want it so I just yanked the turbo off for now.

Had hot water heater issues so my work time cut short over the weekend. That was a battle and a half but got it working again so the wife will be more willing to let me work on the truck again. Hope by the weekend i can have motor in where it's going to stay and can be on to tunnel clearance for transmission. Putter away and will have it figured in no time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals