Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Styling & Electrical > Lighting/Illumination

Lighting/Illumination This forum is for headlamps, auxillary lighting, interior lighting, and LED conversions.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #1
crispy

Vehicle Year: 1976
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Bronco
crispy is on a distinguished road
Default LED lights for an old Bronco?

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some help with the headlights for our aged Bronco. The truck was sitting in a garage for a while, I thought I will sell it. Now, changed my mind and decided to restore.
My dad did plenty of engine and suspension job, now it's my turn to deal with electrical part. After that it will go to the paint shop, and later on we'll maybe do the interior.
Now, I thought of replacing headlights completely, as the outer lens is no longer transparent. Has anyone ever dealt with this sort of lights? Are they okay? Or it's better to search for something different and then just grab an HID kit?
Any ideas?

SPRING ONLINE MAGAZINE!

Check out the latest articles

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute

'76 should still be sealed beams. Just a couple screws and a connector to replace.

Build Thread

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas A. Edison.
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:38 AM   #3
crispy

Okay, I googled sealed beams with LED lights (looks like noone makes sealed beam headlights with HIDs), the only way is to buy an aftermarket assembly that is not sealed and then put HID bulbs there.
Also I saw one Bronco with cool round lights in, and I assume they are LEDs. This guy in the middle - https://www.carid.com/gallery/ford/bronco/
Do you think it's a good idea to try something like this on an old car which is not familiar with any LED lighting and stuff?
Old 11-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #4
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what you are doing. Guys put them in old restored tractors and I think they look goofy. For the 4.5" lights I know they put on tractors they do make LED's with fluted lenses so they do look more normal. Whatever you find make sure they are DOT rated too, I found some really nice looking 5x7 lights for my Ranger and they were not DOT rated, they were patterned for off road equipment, not going down the highway.

I know LMC Truck, Bronco Graveyard and Dennis Carpenter have a lot of fullsize Bronco parts, you might start there. Larson Lighting is who we go thru for tractor lights, you might check with them if they have any of the bigger round LED's for a street vehicle.

Build Thread

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas A. Edison.
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:25 AM   #5
crispy

Wow, I even haven't thought of checking, whether the lights are DOT approved, thanks for telling me.
Will see how it goes.