Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 10-01-2014, 03:08 AM   #71
Jfive

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
Jfive is on a distinguished road

If you weld the spider gears, weld them to the differential itself more than to each other. I've seen ones that were welded where the gears touch break and cause major problems, but I had a rear welded with a 500hp stroker and in alot heavier truck hold up for 6 years before I sold it, and they never came apart. Rear was welded with 7018 stick with main focus being the gear to the housing. Just my opinion but I would have stuck with the LS and done efi and checked out EFIsource.com for a simple solution to running an LS efi motor in any vehicle.
Jfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Not shown to 'Premium Members')
Old 10-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #72
ironhead

Vehicle Year: 1987
ironhead is on a distinguished road

Id love to see some pics of your diesel ranger , and the info I'd need to make that happen under my hood. I'm NOT a mechanic , but would have to get ( or pay for ) some help. I've got an '87 4WD I want to throw some money into , and before I pay to have a 302 put in , I'm really interested in the diesel. I just think that would be pretty nasty. That being said , what type of engine , tranny , transfer case and front& rear ends would I be looking for , or would some of the stock parts hold up ?
ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #73
lsxRanger94

Vehicle Year: 1994
I use this vehicle for: Sleeper
lsxRanger94 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX_Marshall View Post
Here they are as promised. These are pictures from yesterday, I had the fenders, grille and headlights out looking at the idea of removing the inner structure and making a tilt front end. Also had to get that fan in there too.
Shouldn't be too hard to make a tilt front end. You will also be able to move the rad forward and move the fan to puller position. Just make sure your cab mounts are still in good shape.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #74
lsxRanger94

Vehicle Year: 1994
I use this vehicle for: Sleeper
lsxRanger94 is on a distinguished road

Any updates?
Old 10-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #75
R.W.Dale

R.W.Dale is on a distinguished road

Having recently wrapped up a LS swap in a fox mustang (carbed and cammed aluminum 5.3) I fully support this thread.
R.W.Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #76
35Remmy

Vehicle Year: 1988 1999
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: STX 2.9 XLT 4.0
35Remmy is on a distinguished road

UGH, keep that crap away from me!!! Totally sacreligious. If it were a chebby site they'd be alllllll over your shi* for posting this.
35Remmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #77
LSX_Marshall

Vehicle Year: 1998
LSX_Marshall is on a distinguished road

As I am a Chevy man born and raised, I feel I have made a significant improvement on the truck by going with a LS and a big block. I think more Ford lovers would disapprove. But anyways....Update time!

Had a bad string of luck shortly after I installed the fan back in....September? Wow it has been a while! Anyways the big block ended up locking up at idle after a short tuning session after changing the carb again. Not sure why it locked up really, no knocks or noise it just died like you turned the key off. Spun bearing I would guess, probably didn't like being run so hard on 100,000 bearings lol. So I'm finally done grumbling over the thing being blown up so I'm pulling the motor this week to check it out and have sent my spare 454 block out to the machine shop to get it bored, prepped and ready for a new rotating assembly. My initial plans were to go ahead and build it all out like I wanted to (12.5:1 forged pistons, forged rods and crank) yet life has gotten in the way so I must budget build this time with 9.5:1 hypers, i-beams and a cast crank (eww). It sucks but I'll save about $1,200 bucks for now. Besides nothing else in the truck is built for the high-horsepower version (or this power-level I might add) so I may get to go a little longer without replacing everything else. I'll try to remember to post my progress when I am back rolling again!
LSX_Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote