Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Non Truck Discussions > The Tailgate

The Tailgate Off-topic forum. Some posts may be NSFW / NSFK.

To post in the Tailgate forum you must be a member of the Tailgate Usergroup. Click HERE to join the Tailgate Usergroup.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
MastuhWaffles
11/2014 OTOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Sport
I use this vehicle for: Lighting up the dark.
My credo: I need more sleep.
MastuhWaffles has a spectacular aura aboutMastuhWaffles has a spectacular aura aboutMastuhWaffles has a spectacular aura about
Default Paper is fun.

So, I'm taking Engineering in college and today we got to play with paper. The goal was to use 10 sheets with a 10 inch piece of tape and create something that could stack books. Big freaking books. So me and 2 others created 5 of these little guys and there about 1 inch tall and 1 inch wide. We managed to stack 130lbs of books before it got unstable from so many books and we took it down. Then we put 1 giant calculus book on it and all of us stood on it. 630lbs total on them and they held up like a champ. It's just awesome to see what you can make with paper. The next test hopefully might be a smart car....

The P0297 only sets if you hit the speed limiter. Slow the F down.
MastuhWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 83E98FB3D89C78 Expires: June 26, 2018
Old 08-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhWaffles View Post
So, I'm taking Engineering in college
So you are spending tens of thousands of dollars to learn how to come up with the dumbest design possible?

That's my understanding of the field of "engineering" anyway.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Hunger looks very much like evil from the wrong end of the cutlery.
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
MastuhWaffles
11/2014 OTOTM Winner

MastuhWaffles has a spectacular aura aboutMastuhWaffles has a spectacular aura aboutMastuhWaffles has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
So you are spending tens of thousands of dollars to learn how to come up with the dumbest design possible?

Mmm... I don't think so, but really it's only my third day, thanks to scholarships, and some other stuff, I'm not really spending that much, but in the end, I'd rather have a engineering degree than a music degree. But right now the popular thing is petroleum engineering, and my school offers a course in it. The nice thing is that engineering jobs are open, and they pay a lot, in your second year you can intern out in the oil fields, and usually once you graduate you get hired for full time. I feel like my money would be more well spent on a degree like this, than something else. As for the the design aspect of it, engineering is not all about design, its also application and practical use. The design part is really up to the scientists and the mathematicians who design and refine the formulas and the engineers simply refine it to practicality. Yeah sure the paper thing isn't that amazing, but it is the first class of engineering so, I'll get into the bigger things later.

Last edited by MastuhWaffles; 08-28-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
whale

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Winter Ride / Beater Truck
whale will become famous soon enough

"Couldn't you just put a flat piece of paper down, put a piece of tape on the paper, book & repeat?" says the practicing engineer.

Now, pay me thousands of dollars.
whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
doorgunner
Lab Rat for V.A. hospital

Vehicle Year: 1934/1989
I use this vehicle for: FUN on a daily basis!
My credo: JESUS (no-not HeySoos) Lives!
doorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond repute

Now now fellas....let's not get bitter.

I'm hoping one day he "breaks the mold & figures out how to make an engine compartment that is................................................ .................................................. ................................Technician Friendly..........

then he finds the carbur(e)tor that existed 50 years ago and improves it (of course gasoline that went into the carb was different back then too)---it was on a Texas Cadillac with a 429 cu.in. engine and got 24mpg at 70 mph(double normal gas mileage)......a guy in a suit purchased it still warm off the engine for $200.....you can guess the rest of the story LOL

**All the people who's freedom of speech I fought to defend are now telling me to shut up**
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
MastuhWaffles
11/2014 OTOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by whale View Post
"Couldn't you just put a flat piece of paper down, put a piece of tape on the paper, book & repeat?" says the practicing engineer.

Now, pay me thousands of dollars.
If only it was that simple..... That basically would be like making a cardboard bridge an asking people to drive over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post

I'm hoping one day he "breaks the mold & figures out how to make an engine compartment that is................................................ .................................................. ................................Technician Friendly..........
I'll be sure to look into it.

Last edited by MastuhWaffles; 08-28-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Quote:
come up with the dumbest design possible?

I guess I should be more specific.

This is my understanding of AUTOMOTIVE engineering. I actually have great respect for some of the other fields like civil engineering. Or train engineers. I really wanted to be one of them when I was 5, then I found out how hard it is to do.

After a 5 year review of the work of automotive engineers I have determined that every last one of them is an atheist. Looking carefully at their work it is quite apparent that not a single one believes in intelligent design.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Hunger looks very much like evil from the wrong end of the cutlery.
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
MastuhWaffles
11/2014 OTOTM Winner

Quote:
I guess I should be more specific.

This is my understanding of AUTOMOTIVE engineering. I actually have great respect for some of the other fields like civil engineering. Or train engineers. I really wanted to be one of them when I was 5, then I found out how hard it is to do.

After a 5 year review of the work of automotive engineers I have determined that every last one of them is an atheist. Looking carefully at their work it is quite apparent that not a single one believes in intelligent design.
The degree is actualy Mechanical Engineering, you cover a lot, from thermofluid dynamics to structures, which was what the whole paper deal was about. And it's good for a lot of things, you could even been an automotive engineer, but like I said before, the big thing right now is petroleum engineering, and I hope to go into that field. I think the main problem with automotive engineers is that they make things to complicated, instead of making a simple, reliable design.

Last edited by MastuhWaffles; 08-29-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
doorgunner
Lab Rat for V.A. hospital

Vehicle Year: 1934/1989
I use this vehicle for: FUN on a daily basis!
My credo: JESUS (no-not HeySoos) Lives!
doorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond repute

everyone remain calm!

Quote:
I guess I should be more specific. After a 5 year review of the work of automotive engineers I have determined that every last one of them is an atheist. Looking carefully at their work it is quite apparent that not a single one believes in intelligent design.

**All the people who's freedom of speech I fought to defend are now telling me to shut up**

Last edited by doorgunner; 08-29-2013 at 09:04 AM.
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
97RangerXLT
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Supercab 4 x 4
I use this vehicle for: Putting wear and tear on my tools
97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to 97RangerXLT

Quote:
This is awesome! Sigged and repped!

AJ
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc1024 View Post
Hey - we all have to help each other. Otherwise, we'd become an S10 forum and we'd all kill ourselves.
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=13474
97RangerXLT is offline   Reply With Quote