Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'MastuhWaffles'
November 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'ATX'
November 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #21
nb11

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger xl
I use this vehicle for: A-B
nb11 is a jewel in the roughnb11 is a jewel in the roughnb11 is a jewel in the roughnb11 is a jewel in the rough

I mean, he wants to fit bigger tires. It doesn't sound like he wants any type of performance lift, doesn't want any trouble (read TIB camber issues) and wants something relatively cheap. I'm not the biggest fan of body lifts, but looking at his constraints and criteria, a body lift would be good.

OP: If you go the body lift route, expect to pay around $250 for the lift, then extra for bumper brackets, gap guards (so you can't see the space between the bottom of the bed and the frame), shifter extender, and steering extender. Then, you'll be able to fit larger tires, which will cost more than smaller tires, and will take re-gearing (expect $400-600 to have a shop do this).

It'll be expensive. Your best bet would be coil spacers up front, alignment, and a size or two larger (than what you have now) tires.

Here's a link to the tech library. Read everything here. Everything! http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.php
nb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 04-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #22
killj0y
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Standard Cab
I use this vehicle for: DD and light duty
killj0y has a spectacular aura aboutkillj0y has a spectacular aura aboutkillj0y has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeandress1 View Post
oh ok so if i do any body lift at all 31's will work ok? and you said ur gears are 3.73..is that stock or did you change them? cuz idk what gears are on my stock 95 2.3l 2wd...i mean if urs is the 2.3l 2wd and all ur stuff works fine without power loss then i got nuthing to loose
Nah stock but
They can very sometimes. check your driver door sticker and in the tech library is a link to identify what you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb11 View Post
I mean, he wants to fit bigger tires. It doesn't sound like he wants any type of performance lift, doesn't want any trouble (read TIB camber issues) and wants something relatively cheap. I'm not the biggest fan of body lifts, but looking at his constraints and criteria, a body lift would be good.

OP: If you go the body lift route, expect to pay around $250 for the lift, then extra for bumper brackets, gap guards (so you can't see the space between the bottom of the bed and the frame), shifter extender, and steering extender. Then, you'll be able to fit larger tires, which will cost more than smaller tires, and will take re-gearing (expect $400-600 to have a shop do this).

It'll be expensive. Your best bet would be coil spacers up front, alignment, and a size or two larger (than what you have now) tires.

Here's a link to the tech library. Read everything here. Everything! http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.php
I agree but damn at that price range he can get a real lift for a few hundred more if anything...

If he feels confident he can probably do it himself and save big time...
*Snorkel Mod
*4" Rough Country Lift
killj0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #23

Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Model: Ranger FX4 LevelII
I use this vehicle for: DD/Offroad
6.2 has a spectacular aura about6.2 has a spectacular aura about6.2 has a spectacular aura about

Uh, expect to pay $250 TOTAL. Aside from gap guards, but you can make those yourself.
PA Body lift. Includes all bumper brackets and everything you need to complete the lift. No need to buy anything extra. If someone tells you otherwise they have no idea what they're talking about.
6.2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #24
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future

I made splash shields for the front wheel wells to keep crap from being thrown into the engine compartment from the wheels out of tractor inner tubes.

I don't care for the gap guards at in the rear. IMO they look like exactly what they are... hunks of plastic to keep light from shining between the frame and bed.

Build Thread

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. Charles Kingsley (1819-75)
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #25
blakeandress1

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger 2.3l 2wd
blakeandress1 is on a distinguished road

thanks o much for all the really appreciated help!!!
blakeandress1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #26
prerunnerwannabe

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Getting distracted....
prerunnerwannabe will become famous soon enoughprerunnerwannabe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
You buy new gears and a master install kit, buy a bunch of tools like a dial indicator, a shoe-horn, a dummy tube, a torque wrench, etc. Then you remove the drive shaft, the wheels and brake drums, and the diff cover. Then push in on the rear wheel hubs, pull the C-clips out from the inboard ends of the shafts, and yank the shafts out. Next unbolt the bearing caps for the carrier, grab the carrier,and pull hard.

Now you have to remove the pinion nut, pull the companion flange off and hammer the old pinion out. Zap the ring gear bolts out of the carrier, you will want a pneumatic impact wrench, hand tools won't work well because of the high torque and thread locker and an electric one usually wont' cut it.

Next you have to install the new pinion and set the depth properly using selective shims and install the bearings and set the preload. Once that is done you have to install the new ring to the carrier and install the carrier back into the housing and set the backlash. Put some yellow goo on and spin it all and check the gear mesh pattern. If that's right you put the axle shafts back in. Might as well do axle seals while you are there, since you gotta take the shafts out to do that. Install C-clips, the rear cover, and the drums and wheels, and the drive shaft of course, and take it for a ride.

Personally, I'd never own a 4-cylinder of any sort with anything above a 5.13 gear. But that's just me.
Sounds simple enough
prerunnerwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #27
straycat
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 02 06 and 2012
Vehicle Make: Jeeps
Vehicle Model: 02 Grand Cherokee 4x4 4.0L 06 Wrangler X 5.7 Hemi 87 Samurai 4x4 2012 Wrangler JK-8
I use this vehicle for: DD and trail rides
straycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud of

You have to swap out the gears that are inside the middle area of your axles. You will have to take it to a shop and have it done since you have no idea what we are talking about. Front and rear (4x4) will be about $1,000 with parts and labor. Tires are another expense since you want them and then your speedometer will be off and you will have to correct that and your gas mileage will drop and that is another expense...lol!!! Join the club of upgrading your ride, Bro!!!

99 Ranger XLT 4 door Supercab lifted 2wd
33x12.5x15 KO's on 15x8 AR polished rims
Spare 33 KO mounted flat in bed/custom bed extender
straycat is offline   Reply With Quote