Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Ranger Axles

Ranger Axles Dana 28, Dana 35, Ford 7.5 & Ford 8.8

Old 12-26-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
fix_or_repair_daily

Vehicle Year: 1991,1992,1994
Vehicle Make: Ford,Chevy,Satu
Vehicle Model: Ranger,K1500,SW2
fix_or_repair_daily will become famous soon enough
Question Bronco II gear ratio availability

Hi, I was wondering how common were factory 4.10 gears in the Bronco II line as I am looking to upgrade from my 3.73s. Also will the front and rear ends out of a ranger around the same year swap in?

Thanks in advance, Josh
fix_or_repair_daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 12-26-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
projectnitemare

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
projectnitemare will become famous soon enoughprojectnitemare will become famous soon enough

4.10 gear ratio is probably the least common although they are out there. As far as the front and rear being the same for each vehicle, yes and no. Your BII will have a 7.5 rear axle. The Ranger 7.5 rear axle is not a direct bolt in, it is wider than the BII axle and the mounts will need to be moved. If you are mechanically inclined and have the tools you can to either, cut and weld new mounts for the Ranger axle or install the Ranger gear set into your current housing. You will have a Dana 28 front although I believe the Dana 35 may have been available in 89 and 90, don't quote me on that though. As long as you have the same third member as in your vehicle wheter it be a D28 or D35 all you will need to do is take your current third member out and install the one with the 4.10s, unless you just bought a ring and pinion then it will need to be installed inplace of the 3.73 gear set. As far as installing gear sets, if you don't know what you are doing nor have the tools it is best left to a person with the proper knowledge. If installed inproperly not only will they be noisy but will acceleate the wear of the gear set.

Matt
Old 12-27-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
Hahnsb2

Vehicle Year: 88-95
Vehicle Make: Ford-Dodge
Vehicle Model: BII-Dakota
I use this vehicle for: Going where I point it-Going fast
Hahnsb2 is just really niceHahnsb2 is just really niceHahnsb2 is just really niceHahnsb2 is just really niceHahnsb2 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Hahnsb2

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectnitemare View Post
4.10 gear ratio is probably the least common although they are out there. As far as the front and rear being the same for each vehicle, yes and no. Your BII will have a 7.5 rear axle. The Ranger 7.5 rear axle is not a direct bolt in, it is wider than the BII axle and the mounts will need to be moved. If you are mechanically inclined and have the tools you can to either, cut and weld new mounts for the Ranger axle or install the Ranger gear set into your current housing. You will have a Dana 28 front although I believe the Dana 35 may have been available in 89 and 90, don't quote me on that though. As long as you have the same third member as in your vehicle wheter it be a D28 or D35 all you will need to do is take your current third member out and install the one with the 4.10s, unless you just bought a ring and pinion then it will need to be installed inplace of the 3.73 gear set. As far as installing gear sets, if you don't know what you are doing nor have the tools it is best left to a person with the proper knowledge. If installed inproperly not only will they be noisy but will acceleate the wear of the gear set.

Matt
No, ranger 7.5s the same year of the B2 were narrower, it is still bolt in though. 4.10s are common in auto b2s, all 3 auto b2s weve had have been 4.10 geared. All 4.10 geared b2 also have an LS in the rear.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
metalmacguyver
Yeah, I built that.

Vehicle Year: 1997, 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger, F350
I use this vehicle for: Working and Wheeling
metalmacguyver is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to metalmacguyver

not very common but they are out there. it is more dependant on how lucky you are when you visit the junkyard.

1997 Excab/4.0/5spd/Manual1354/4.88/locked F/R /35"BFG MTs/WarnXD9000i/6"lift/HYDROBOOST!!/Extended radius arms/Wheeling only.
metalmacguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
projectnitemare

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
projectnitemare will become famous soon enoughprojectnitemare will become famous soon enough

Not all Ranger 7.5's bolt in. I was going to put an extra late-88 Ranger 7.5 in my early-89 BII. The spring mounts were not the same distance apart. I didn't think to check that before I went to bolt the axle in.

Matt