Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Kona'
June 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Dazzlin' Dave'
June 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Suspension & Armor > PreRunners

PreRunners Dedicated to legendary desert racer and Ranger driver Manny Esquerra.

View Poll Results: What do you think is better for desert racing?
2wd Ranger 139 64.95%
4WD Ranger 75 35.05%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
Jim Oaks
Building another truck

Vehicle Year: 1983 & 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Dedicated trail rig!
My credo: Happy wife, happy life.
Jim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond repute
Question Desert Racing - 2WD or 4WD?

Here is a poll for those of you who follow desert racing;

What do you think is better to build, a 2WD (lighter) or 4WD (to help you get out of some of the nasty stuff)?

Vote For TRS In Top 4x4 Sites
Jim Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 11-26-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
RebelAssaultTruk

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: explorer
I use this vehicle for: recovering chevys n jeeps who talk the talk
RebelAssaultTruk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to RebelAssaultTruk

2 wheel drive for sure...figure if your main rate of speed is fast enough to be competetive, and your terrain is what your perunner is set up for aka DESERT, you won't run into any place you wld need 4 wheel drive...to engage it you'd need to stop or slow down...in a race that's time determined. the extra weight wouldn't benefit either. that's why prerunners r 2 wheel drive right?
RebelAssaultTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:55 PM   #3
koda6966

Vehicle Year: 1993
I use this vehicle for: Giving me pride.
koda6966 is a splendid one to beholdkoda6966 is a splendid one to beholdkoda6966 is a splendid one to beholdkoda6966 is a splendid one to beholdkoda6966 is a splendid one to beholdkoda6966 is a splendid one to beholdkoda6966 is a splendid one to behold

Two wheel, it's classic, doesn't hit as hard off jumps, cheaper to fix and less things can go wrong. Basically everything you could get yourself into in the desert could be fixed with a good locker, extreme screw ups with a winch. What's the point of light-weight parts and fiberglass body panels if your just going to weigh it down with 4x4 anyway?

Honestly, I'd be the guy Rockin' it in the Subaru. To hell with all you ranger people! (Only kidding, I love my 2wd Ranger.)
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6/auto/4x4. Light Duty Tow Pig.

Ranger Build Thread.
Jeep XJ Build Thread.

Last edited by koda6966; 11-26-2008 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Added some stuff, fixed some spelling.
koda6966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:10 AM   #4
BDAB

Vehicle Year: 00, 99, 00
Vehicle Make: Ford, Ford, Bui
Vehicle Model: Excursion, Expedition, Regal
I use this vehicle for: family truckster, winter beater, daily driver
My credo: If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
BDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud of

4wd for when you run off the course.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
wahlstrom1
J-man HD Mech

wahlstrom1 is a jewel in the roughwahlstrom1 is a jewel in the roughwahlstrom1 is a jewel in the roughwahlstrom1 is a jewel in the rough

4wd....Need a way of getting traction. There's a reason Trophy trucks outrun everything else, you need to be able to put the power to the ground. Lightweight parts allow 4wd to be used without a real 'weight penalty' as compared to a stock 2wd.

-andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle M. View Post
LOL, wheres the loony bin, cuz we be crazay
wahlstrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
ckblum

Vehicle Year: SOLD
Vehicle Make: SOLD
Vehicle Model: SOLD :'(
I use this vehicle for: crying
ckblum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahlstrom1 View Post
4wd....Need a way of getting traction. There's a reason Trophy trucks outrun everything else, you need to be able to put the power to the ground. Lightweight parts allow 4wd to be used without a real 'weight penalty' as compared to a stock 2wd.

-andrew
Actually Trophy Trucks outrun everything else because they have 800+ HP and cycle over 2 feet (sometimes 3) of suspension travel and spend hours tuning shocks with quad bypasses and coil-overs all around. If you spend $700 000+ it's hard not to beat the other classes.

Also most Trophy Trucks are 2wd, I can only think of one that was built 4wd and I can't even remember who built it so chances are it wasn't too significant and probably didn't do well enough to remember lol jk jk.

My vote is on 2wd for racing but since I live in BC I would definately build a 4wd if I could. Funny thing is I am building a 2wd anyways haha.

Last edited by ckblum; 11-27-2008 at 07:23 PM.
ckblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
canyoncritter

Vehicle Year: 1952,1991,1992
Vehicle Make: Willys,Ford,Jee
Vehicle Model: wagon,ranger 4x4,cheroke
canyoncritter is on a distinguished road

you could go back and forth on this all day long like the chicken or the egg first deal.

For a "race" truck both have thier pro's and con's.

2wd, cheaper & less part's over all . Alot more on the market for 2wd. 90% of the race tracks have no need for 4wd.

4wd, cost more in the extra parts, add's some weight,not as many vendors in the market, but is priceless when driving past stuck 2wd in the silt beds and "goat trail" type of hill climbs. Been stuck up to my knees before in silt.Not saying 4wd will always save your ass, but sometimes its nice!

for a "pre runner" I would want a 4wd.just for the extra insurance.And to be able to crusie the track, stop pretty much any place and be able to "Start" again.

I've had 3 2wd's and its amazing where you can get a spooled up 2wd and the places it will go but sometimes that extra front tire pulling along is "priceless" at the moment. But I do admit, when putting one toghter it can be a real piss off to see the abundance of 2wd parts on the "used/cheap ass" market.lol..
Old 12-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
84projectFORD

Vehicle Year: 1984
I use this vehicle for: anger management
84projectFORD is on a distinguished road

ok guys the whole reason we started this forum part was for helpful info and on ideas that people have and would like to try. Every person has their own opinion and is entitled to it but bullshit fighting with eachother is not what we are here for. save it for another place. I might be comin across harsh on this but i dont want this forum to turn inot a dramarangers. there is a reason i like this one so much because there is no of this cussin eachother out and sayin "my opinion is always right and everyone should abide by it".

Anyhow, i prefer 2wd over 4wd due to how cheap it is and how readily avaible parts are. now when your racing long distance, chances are you will prerun the coarse first and find the deep silt beds and bad hill climbs. thats when you find your ways around it or best trail up it.

4wd is a great back up and would be great on a prerunner but for racing application i do not believe it is the best way. should something break, bend or sieze in the front end that part will most likely be more expensive than something on a 2wd and things will break. in all the desert races i have seen and been in though i have yet to see where you have to have 4wd to make it to the finish line. To me a 4wd is just not worth it, its too expensive to buy and to fix nor is it practical in my eyes but there are others out there that think differently. to each his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblum View Post
Actually Trophy Trucks outrun everything else because they have 800+ HP and cycle over 2 feet (sometimes 3) of suspension travel and spend hours tuning shocks with quad bypasses and coil-overs all around. If you spend $700 000+ it's hard not to beat the other classes.

Also most Trophy Trucks are 2wd, I can only think of one that was built 4wd and I can't even remember who built it so chances are it wasn't too significant and probably didn't do well enough to remember lol jk jk.

My vote is on 2wd for racing but since I live in BC I would definately build a 4wd if I could. Funny thing is I am building a 2wd anyways haha.
yes all TT are 2wd drive except for the terrible herbst trophy truck. the problem with 4wd in a TT is the limit to wheel travel and now you are turning more mass which can put more load on all teh drive line parts and cause premature failure. the most the herbst can run is 20" reliably. reg TT's run 27+ up front
1984 Ranger: rc, lwb, 4.0, M50D, Threat Motorsports 6" over equal lenght beams, swing set steering and dana 44 knuckles, glassed front fenders, Giant 64" rear leafs (21" travel!), 9" soon to be trussed & spooled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Oaks
Just Because Your 2wd Is Lifted - Doesn't Make It A PreRunner!
84projectFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
kenny172

Vehicle Year: 03
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
kenny172 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblum View Post

it was the herbst's family that ran 4wd on their trophy truck and it was every race the entire truck would be rebuilt top to bottom no dime spared. the cv joints that they used in the front end were used out of a helicopter rotor pivot. only thing at the time that would take the torque and have the oporating range to provied 26 inches of wheel travel. but that doesnt matter anymore they all have brand new 2wd trophy trucks... must be nice to be loaded
kenny172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
84rangerprerunning

Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: ranger
Vehicle Model: XLT
84rangerprerunning is on a distinguished road
Default 2wd

2wd is ausome
84rangerprerunning is offline   Reply With Quote