Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'PlumCrazy'
October 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Ted R.'
October 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
JmmyHoffa

JmmyHoffa is on a distinguished road
Default get the 2.3 or 3.0 ? not an engine swap

Ive been looking at rangers between 2001+ & noticed a good majority of them have the 3.0, but i have a few questions...

What is the difference in them power wise ? Are the 3.0 or 2.3 known to have any issues ? Mileage difference in the two ?

I think they started putting the 2.3 in them in 2001 is this correct or is it the 2.5 in the 2001 ? thanks

Also please bear with me as im trying to determine which engine options best fit my need

Last edited by JmmyHoffa; 07-21-2011 at 01:23 PM.
JmmyHoffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 07-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Ranger Sport Honduras
Zoom Zoom

Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Make: Mazda
Vehicle Model: Mazda 3
I use this vehicle for: Zoom Zooming around
Ranger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ranger Sport Honduras

the new 2.3 came in late 01 models. some 01 still have the old 2.5

as for power
the 2.3 rates at around 145 hp, and the 3.0 at around 154hp.
the 2.3 is a good engine, my mom has a 03 with it and it hasnt had any issues. its smooth, fast and gives great mileage

the 3.0 obviously has more torque, so it has better response on the power section.

if u dont need a v6 and need a 4 banger that gives u good overall power and killer mileage, the 2.3 is for you.
Ranger Militia
Cardomain(All the trucks)
Ranger Sport Honduras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Ranger Sport Honduras
Zoom Zoom

Ranger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond repute

ohh and welcome to TRS
Ranger Militia
Old 07-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
Mac
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Ext Cab
I use this vehicle for: Beater
Mac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the 3.0L will not win any gas milage contest, I get the same with my 4.0L with a lot more power. What are your needs?
Dave of the Nord
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
exbass94

Vehicle Year: 2006, 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger, Explorer
I use this vehicle for: Pavement Poundin'
exbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really nice

If you only need 2wd, go with the 4 cylinder (they're not available in 4wd). Excellent gas mileage, plenty of power, and great reliability. The 3.0 is also a great reliable engine but the hit you take in mileage isn't worth the marginal extra power.
1994 Ford Bronco XLT (project)
exbass94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
JmmyHoffa

JmmyHoffa is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, i am in no real need for the power of the 6, since i dont tow anything & rarely carry only a few hundred pounds of building supplies. So i think i will stick with the 2.3 for my needs, i think everybody is in need of better gas mileage, though that could be just me ?
JmmyHoffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Ranger Sport Honduras
Zoom Zoom

well everyone likes a powerful truck, but then the wallet really likes to feel fat hahaha, and better mileage on the form of a 4 banger will give u that.

besides Rangers are tough trucks if u need to do a v6's job, the lil 4 banger will step up.
trust me ive done it a lot with mine.
Ranger Militia