• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

R12 or 134a ?????

DougInNJ

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have an '89 Ford Ranger. Hod can I tell if it has the original R12 or if it has been converted to 134a?
Thanks
DougInNJ

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Usually when someone converts a vehicle to r134a, they put a sticker somewhere under the hood saying so. Usually it's on the radiator support. Also the service ports used for R-12 are a different size than R134a fittings. So if it has R134a, it should have adaptor fittings screwed on the service ports.

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You might have to take it to an A/C shop that has a refrigerant identifier. If it was 'professionally' converted it would have R134a adapters on the high and low side ports and a tag somewhere under the hood.

EDIT: xbass94 types faster than I do :)

DougInNJ

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for responding, I'll check it out.
Man its hot here 94*!

noahkenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
The service ports should be a dead give away if it has been converted. You can tell the difference just by looking at them. R12 fittings had threads on them where you screw on a set of gauges and the 134 fittings the gauges simply snap on to the service ports, no threads would be present on the externally. Only internally where the shrader vavle screws in. More than likely it had been converted. Been working on a/c systems for a long time and its been a few years since I actually seen a working r12 system. Not saying they arent still around but they are few and far between. I have an 89 model also that has converted about 10 years ago. If the hoses havent been changed to barrier lined (134a) hoses then you will lose 134a though the hoses as it permeates (goes through) the rubber. Really no big deal but it will lose somewhere in the neighbor hood of a can a year. Hopefully it has been converted. But even 134a prices have went up dramitcally over the last two years or so. Guarentee your evaporator coil will have a bunch of trash in it. Just remove the blower motor and the blower motor resistor and you can see up in there and dig that crap out. Then either blow it out or wash it out with water. Seeing that the truck is 22 years old cleaning the coil will help it dramitcally once you get the rest of the system in good working order. Not a bad idea to look between the condenser and the radiator to make sure its not packed up with a bunch of crap also over the years. Ever little bit help when it is this stinking hot.

Last edited:

DougInNJ

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you NoahKenny
I'll check it out

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
problem w/ that is-- it could be converted without leaving the adapters on the service ports. when i got that ranger i sold, it had r12 ports.. i checked it to see before i filled it and it was r134a in it. turns out the guy leaves the adapters w/ his gauges and doesn't leave them on the vehicles. his old 83 ford fullsize is the same way.

sad, but people do it. usually if its been converted, the ports are correct for the freon

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
yea, i had an 89 that was converted. it had the r12 ports and no sticker... you never know unless you take it in

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Man its hot here 94*!
hahahahaha i drive with my windows down at 94, man your lucky. its been 110-115 here lately and gets over 120* F. sometimes. haha and im usually outside all day :icon_twisted:

noahkenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
problem w/ that is-- it could be converted without leaving the adapters on the service ports. when i got that ranger i sold, it had r12 ports.. i checked it to see before i filled it and it was r134a in it. turns out the guy leaves the adapters w/ his gauges and doesn't leave them on the vehicles. his old 83 ford fullsize is the same way.

sad, but people do it. usually if its been converted, the ports are correct for the freon
I agree that does happen but if the conversion was done right it shouldnt be a problem. It takes someone stupid to take off the conversion fittings. A lot of them had loctite in them and would tear the threads off the orginal ports if you tried to remove them. Have run across it once or twice but as a whole its usually not a problem. The chances of a 22 year old truck still having r12 are pretty slim..

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
usually it would have leaked some by now, and needed freon. and surely people are converting it over instead of just refilling it w/ r12 (which is hard to find and stupid expensive)..

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
haha hopefully your not in cali. they tax the crap outta stuff like this

noahkenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
usually it would have leaked some by now, and needed freon. and surely people are converting it over instead of just refilling it w/ r12 (which is hard to find and stupid expensive)..
Believe it or not I still have about 15lbs of r12 left in a 30lbs can. I havent used it in at least 5 years. And back then I charged 42 bucks a pound. Rediculious I know but that was the correct price. 134A has really risen in price the last couple years. 2 years ago I was selling it for 4 bucks a pounds but now what is it?? 12, 14 bucks?? something like that?? Havent worked this summer due to a knee replacement.

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The chances of a 22 year old truck still having r12 are pretty slim..
Mine does! Mine is a 1990 so it's only 21 years old and here's the explanation: I'm an AC tech and I had the remanants of a 30 lb cylinder (roughly 24 lbs) that I bought in 1999 when it was still somewhat reasonable. Used in on a couple of Datsun vehicles (remember those?) that I owned but it sat for 10 more years until I got the Ranger. Replaced a couple of seals, a hose, cleaned out the evap box and the condenser, put a new reciever/drier on it, charged it up and it's been good since December 2009 when I did it. I've since used in on a friends 85 Toyota Camry and but I still have a little better than 19 lbs left.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i can get the small cans (12 oz)? for like $6 here usually. if i catch the right deals. if i don't catch the deals its around 9. so yeah, 12ish a pound?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals