• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Change

rollinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have 131k on my 4.0
and i change the oil every 3000 miles
i run CARQUEST oil 10w-40
And i run a CARQUEST oil filter
it is a good oil
and i wouldn't trust that castrol SHIT

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mythology or not why the hell should I spend so much money on synthetic when im swapping oil every 5k miles? My step father runs Quaker state Regular 5w-20 for 8-10k miles between changes and it comes out fine.
Because synthetic is better for your engine. That's why.
I agree...I run Mobil 1 FS....and the idea that you cant switch and older engine to FS is a myth.........

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
i have 131k on my 4.0
and i change the oil every 3000 miles
i run CARQUEST oil 10w-40
And i run a CARQUEST oil filter
it is a good oil
and i wouldn't trust that castrol SHIT
1. What exactly makes Castrol "shit"? (This oughta be good :rolleyes:)
2. 5w30 is the spec'ed oil for the 4.0. Why are you using 10w-40?
3. Changing every 3k miles is excessive and a waste of money. Change it every 5k.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As far as the engine life, having synthetic or dino oil doesn't matter. Its the fact that you change the oil that makes an engine last longer. Synthetic won't save you if you over heat your engine either. All it does is lower the internal friction of your engine making it more efficient than if you used dino oil, hence why I pay the extra dollar per quart. If I remember right its around $30 for a 5 quart jug at wal-mart. Still cheaper than taking it to a 5sec lube shop.

Sent from road while ignoring traffic

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have noticed mobile 1 FS is much thinner when its cold than my quaker state oil. Since most bearing wear is from cold starts, I like the mobile 1. Its regularly below 0F up here so I think it makes a difference.

Also its like 24$ a gallon at my wal-mart... not that much more expensive than anything else.

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I really would like the input as to why Castrol is Shit, Do people relize that Castrol is recomended by some of the worlds leading sports cars? BMW has thier own oil but guess what it is Castrol Syntec in a relabled bottle.

We had an 88 735i that came into the shop 2 times a month for oil changes based on the amount of driving the owner did. The car had 685K miles on it with the original motor just basic services done. Never had any mojor engine work performed on it. That engine spent its entire life running on conventional Castrol 20-50. It was a BMW 3.5l Fuel injected engine. On the same note we had to replace the transmission 2 times in those 685k miles.

Most of the the current BMW motors call for syntheic oil from the factory. They recomend a 6 to 8k mile service interval on the oil. so that would lead me to believe that castrol oil is not SHIT as stated above.

02 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2008
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l, 6.4l
Transmission
Automatic
as long as you stay away from penzoil your good. make sure you keep the oil nice and clean with a good quality filter. many people on here like motorcraft filters, i do too, but i have trouble finding the right one for my truck so i go to napa and get the gold filter. made by wix and is an excellent filter. purolator, bosch, wix, napa gold and platinum are all excellent choices. as far as oil i run valvoline conventional. and every other oil change i substitute 1 quart of oil with 1 quart of lucas oil stabilizer. My 02 ranger with the 4.0 has 175k and i have been doing the same routine ever since i got it 3 years ago with only 110k on it. runs great, does not leak oil or burn any.

snoofer

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
as long as you stay away from penzoil your good. make sure you keep the oil nice and clean with a good quality filter. many people on here like motorcraft filters, i do too, but i have trouble finding the right one for my truck so i go to napa and get the gold filter. made by wix and is an excellent filter. purolator, bosch, wix, napa gold and platinum are all excellent choices. as far as oil i run valvoline conventional. and every other oil change i substitute 1 quart of oil with 1 quart of lucas oil stabilizer. My 02 ranger with the 4.0 has 175k and i have been doing the same routine ever since i got it 3 years ago with only 110k on it. runs great, does not leak oil or burn any.
Whats wrong with Pennzoil?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I use diesel oil. It cleans better.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I really would like the input as to why Castrol is Shit.
Chill man. That came from the same guy who said (in the same post) that he runs 10-40 in his 4.0.

You really gonna put any value on what he says about oil?

02 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2008
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l, 6.4l
Transmission
Automatic
Whats wrong with Pennzoil?
it is made with parafin wax.. pretty much has a tendency to like to gum up and turn everything yellow. every engine i have seen that runs pennzoil like to have lower oil pressures than anything else. might just be me but idk. my friends 4.8 vortec had penzoil ran thru it since its first oil change and come to find that his excessive valve train noise was coming from clogged up oil passages. and this kid likes to change his oil every 3k on the dot.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
it is made with parafin wax.. pretty much has a tendency to like to gum up and turn everything yellow. every engine i have seen that runs pennzoil like to have lower oil pressures than anything else. might just be me but idk. my friends 4.8 vortec had penzoil ran thru it since its first oil change and come to find that his excessive valve train noise was coming from clogged up oil passages. and this kid likes to change his oil every 3k on the dot.
The Pennzoil thing is a myth that's been spread around so long it's accepted as fact. Do a quick internet search and you'll find countless articles stating that ALL motor oils are made with paraffinitic base stocks. I just did some more reading about paraffin and "liquid paraffin" is just another name for mineral oil and it is petroleum based.

Last edited:

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My Mazda B4000 is equipped with JC Whitney toilet paper filter,I do NOT change oil just TOP OFF with recycled oil-SAVE TONS OF MONEY! Changing oil is for SUCKERS with too much money.Go ahead make the oil companies RICH!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals