• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how do you remove the pilot bearing?

ncsdaonex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylider
Transmission
Manual
i have a 1990 2.3 4 cylinder 2wd 5 speed, now i tried getting the pilot bearing out. i took off the flywheel. i took a screwdriver and a hammer and tried to beat it out, i probably shouldnt have done that. i broke out the little bearings, but the ring part of the pilot bearing wont come out so hoe do i get it out, i have a new one to put in

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
try and find a bolt that fits inside the pilot bearing very snug, fill the hole will grease and then drive the bolt in with a hammer, should pop it out for you. Doesn't hurt to put a rag over it as you are doing it so you don't get a grease in the face.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
yep, thats the method ive always used. i actually have a spare input shaft that i use, but its the same concept. it sounds like from your post you already have the inner race and the bearings out and now youre stuck with a stubborn outer race thats not wanting to come out of the flywheel. you can use a cold chisel and try to cut the race by beating it with a big hammer, or you can use a die grinder with a small bit and cut the side of it so that you can pry it out. hope that helps you out.

greasemonkey01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
All Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, here's how you can get it out... grab your MIG welder or ARC welder, crank that thing up and weld a bead around the entire face of the race. flip it over and smack it with a hammer. It might sound a little crazy but it works every time... The heat of the bead pulls the entire race inward and will actually shrink the race and will come right out.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
How about find a socket or something that's just barely smaller in diameter than the bearing and just tap it out from the backside of the flywheel? Should be real easy since it's already off the engine.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Junkie's method is FAR easier than all the Rube Goldberg suggestions....

Put the flywheel on two wood blocks and tap the bearing out with a socket and a light hammer (no bigger than a standard claw hammer). Very easy, very quick, and doesn't require ruining your flywheel with a stick welder (it ain't gonna be flat after that....). Use the largest size that is smaller than the bearing 's outer diameter.

The grease method works if the bearing is in the crank and works a whole lot better for pilot bushings because they are airtight. If you try this on a flywheel, you'll just squirt grease all over the ground.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I guess what we need to know is whether or not the pilot bearing is in the end of the crank or if it is in the flywheel? IIRC my 90' 2.3l had the bearing in the end of the crank and so does my 94' 3.0l. if that is the case then you cant hit it out form the back side cause you cant get anything in there.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is NOT a cologne engine guys. The 2.3 pilot bearing is in the crank. Most of you that replied should know that. ONLY cologne engines have the pilot in the flywheel.
The first time I encountered a failed roller pilot I tried everything I could think of to get it out. I ended up using a diegrinder. That is how I've done it ever since.
There is a pilot bearing removal tool that fits on the end of a slide hammer. If you can borrow or rent one, it may work for you.

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It sure sounds like he's trying to beat the pilot bearing out of something a screwdriver might be useful for....

FWIW, you can get a pilot bearing puller from Harbor Freight for $10 (or rent/borrow one). The business end is the same as those slide hammer ones, except it's a whole lot easier to control a screw puller than a slide hammer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=4876

rneal55555

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
Last time I had to remove a pilot Bushing (not a Bearing) with out having a puller handy. I used a tap (which was handy) just screwed it in until it bottomed out in the hole and kept turning until the bushing popped out. The bearing race is a lot harder and I'm not sure the tap will actually cut threads in it, but if you get one that just barely cuts threads in it it might work.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
IF that works, that's great.

If you break the tap, you're screwed (so to speak).

bigalpha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Anybody have pics of the remove tranny showing the pilot bearing?

captanron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
91 Ford ranger Pilot Bearing

Yes, Pilot Bearing. 91 Ford ranger 2.3 2wd 5sp manual transmission. Just removed the transmission to install a new slave cylinder (which is mounted with 2 bolts inside the bellhousing) and a new clutch. I also removed the Flywheel and sent it out to be resurfaced. The Pilot Bearing. (a small needle bearing/roller bearing pressed in the back of the crankshaft. NOT THE FLYWHEEL. You have to purchase or rent a Pilot bearing removal tool from most part stores, Autozone, O'riley's. It is a slide hammer with an attachment with little arms that you attach to the end. You stick the little arms all the way in the hole and grab the backside of the bearing. Slide the hammer and pull it out.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

This is what you need.

captanron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pilot bearing

yup, thats the tool. I went to Harbor Frieght and bought a 15 piece slide hammer kit for 20.00. Looks quite simular to the one you posted, Snoranger. At first i didnt think those 2, little arms would fit into that small bearing, so i removed the arms and wiggled, finessed them in and reattached the slide and after a few whacks, presto! the bearing was removed.

hope these posts helps someone.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals