• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can't remove the harmonic balancer off my 2.9L

vanilla_gorilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
As the title says i have had problems removing the harmonic blancer, streched the bolts on 2 pullers. :icon_confused: So i'm stuck now, any ideas on getting it off though i thinks its not gonna. Cuase my next step to getting my danger ranger back on the road, yes its my DD, is getting a another 2.9l to swap in cheap n fast. I would think if the donor vehicle is a bronco 2 everything should be in the same place. Before people start telling me to drope a v8 in it, i currently am restricted on funds and can't afford all the other mods of an engine swap. Thanks for taking a look :icon_thumby:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What are you pushing against with the puller? If the crank bolt is out, you are only pushing against the dampner itself. Need to push against the crank bolt backed off, socket placed against the crank, etc. Lots of threads on this subject in this forum.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As Pete above wrote.. ALSO don't forget the HAMMER! When the bolts are really tight hit the main shaft with your hammer... that should move it a tiny bit... then tighten the bolts again and hit it again.. so on until the bolts can move it all by themselves.. But the bolt must be either all the way out or a few turns out anyway..

Big JIm

vanilla_gorilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'm pretty sure the bolt was out i belive, my friends dad was helping me. ( A real mechanic, just had to wax his f-150) The frist day almost broke the bolt heads off crankin on it with the impact gun, also tryed a pry bar and hammer. Next day different puller same thing it just streched the bolts of the puller, this time the toruch was used too. His dad sugggested that i try to find a ford specific tool that allows is circular and allows 4 blots to be used, no such luck in my search. May be the last person used locktite on it or somethang. I'll try to get my hands on another puller and try it with the bolt in. Thanks alot for the info. side note - this all began cuase my dizzy went and then timing was all F'ed up and need to the replace the timing chain n gears :clapping:

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You need to put the center damper bolt back on without the washer! Now unscrew the damper bolt so that it's about 3/8 to 1/2 out of the crank. Put the damper puller on with the 3 bolts that hold in place. (if you can still use those 3 threaded holes if it is not damaged becase of pulling it out wrong the first time) THE DAMPER PULLER BOLT NEEDS TO BE PUSHING ON THE BOLT ON THE CRANKSHAFT.

Last edited:

Acepilot1023

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Not too terribly long ago, I had the same problem as you are having now. I ended up stripping out multiple 2 and 3 jaw pullers, and a harmonic balancer puller before I got it off. I recommend spraying some good quality penetrating oil on there and let it soak in overnight, then go to Advanced Auto Parts and borrow a harmonic balancer puller (Their pullers are very heavy duty). After I put that on there, it came off like I was slicing through cheese :annoyed: Also, in the process of taking off my balancer, I chipped off a piece on the edge and had to go to a JY to get another one. Once again, the heavy duty puller saved the day.

Reccomend!:

When you get the puller, go buy some grade 8 bolts that will fit your balancer, and stack them with 2 flat washers.

Good luck mate!

vanilla_gorilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'm on my 3rd puller, i have a smaller diametr bolt with the same size shank in the whole and am pressing agains it, i'm blast it with PB blaster tonight to try to lossen it some. Thought it looks like once again i'm just braking the bolts to the puller. :annoyed: I'm get at it again tomorrow, thanks for the input.

Acepilot1023

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I know how you feel man. I was stuck on mine for a good few days. The key is the heavy duty puller so the bolts wont strip out in it.

vanilla_gorilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well bolts didn't strip one snaped, so i now have that ish to deal with :icon_thumby: Awesome i know! I'm stuck, not sure taking it to a shop is worth it, impact gun just brakes the bolts faster, been there done it. Or do i drop half a g on a salvage motor and who knows what wonders that will bring. any suggestions? Well my options a few and unpleasent. thanks 4 lookin

Spdrcer34

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Can you take a picture of how you are attempting to press it off?

Ryan

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Did you get that dampner off yet? I've been cleaning my garage and came across a 2.9 dampner. I know what probablly you are doing wrong. After you took off the center bolt off the dampner you will see what looks like a washer or you might think that it is part of the crankshaft. What you might be doing is putting the big center bolt of the puller on that 1 1/4" washer looking thing. It is not part of the crankshaft BUT PART OF THE DAMPNER! What you are doing is
probally pushing the dampner and pulling it at the same time.
You need to put that center bolt back in and let it stick out abit
and the big bolt on the puller push on that center bolt.
Or you can take off the puller and center bolt and pry off the dampner with a crow bar.

Acepilot1023

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, that's right ^^.

If you're having trouble with the bolts breaking, get a grade 8 bolt to stick in there.

If you're still trying to get the center bolt out, behind the balancer there is a square shank that you can put a pair of Big Azz Channel Locks on or just get a huge crescent wrench. The use a 3/4" drive ratchet to take the bolt out.

I really recommend going to advanced auto or autozone and borrowing their puller, it's much heavier than any that I have owned.

vanilla_gorilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
tried again with new set of bolts been using grade 8 everytime its a grade 8 bolt i broke off last time. This time i stoped sooner after rounding the tip to the puller one bolt is bent and both bolts had metal in the bottom 3 or 4 threads. The bolt i put in the middle is wedged in there good. I've taken some pics but i guess i'll have to post them on flickewr frist. Also once again I used grade 8 bolts and a heavy dutty puller form advance like every other time

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You got to be doing something wrong. It's been about 4 months already. I had to change the cam & lifters on my first Bronco and I had my dampner off in 15 minutes
with a cheap puller.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals