• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How To: Dual Igniton plug mod for 2.3L and 2.5L

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Here the problem with your theory.

That is a 2 channel coil (wasted spark system). It fires #1 + #4 and #2 + #3 at the same time as pairs. That means when the #1 cyl is being fired on its exhaust stroke, #4 is being fired on its compression stroke. (ignoring the other coil, for now.) Switching 1 + 4 does nothing, except move which terminal, on the same channel of the coil, the wire attaches to.

With this 2 coil system, wasted spark system, you always have both plugs firing on both the comp and exh stroke. One is being fired on the main coil (on purpose), the other is being fired on the secondary coil (as wasted spark).
I was thinking the exact same thing. :icon_confused:

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
ignore this. waste of your time.

All this will accomplish is to change a good working waste spark system into.... a good working waste spark system.

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You've just re-convinced me I never want to own another 4cyl Ranger.

Why you ask? well I average a combined mileage of 17.5mpg
and 19mpg highway and the best I've ever gotten is 22.1mpg, but I've played in the 20's on the highway...

in a 4x4 Supercab with a 4.0 running 4.10 gears.

So at what point would running a 4cyl gain me anything?

AD
I don't recall ever getting below 22mpg in my '94 Ranger. Not sure on combined average, but a typical tank is in the 24mpg range. Best is 27 on the highway.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Second tank down today (I drive a lot) which resulted in 20.1mpg combined, 90% highway. The other truck we tried this on got 21.7mpg (average for that truck.)

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I tried this a while back, and it didn't make a difference for me. If anything, it seemed like it was a little bit harder to start when warm.

I have similar issues as Shran too, with an occasional rough idle when cold due to a misfire on cyl #1, and average MPG around 17. I'm kicking myself for not buying a 4.0 4x4 truck, at least it' be somewhat capable.

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
If any of you guy that are doubting this havent tried it then you dont have any say so. This morning before heading out to unload my truck of scrap metal & spend all day having gathered enough scrap to have 1300 lbs on the truck I did this plug wire swap.

I noticed much better power through all gears & im running 33" BFG KM2s with 4.10 gears. I was even able to actaully excellerate while on flat ground in fifth gear which I wasnt able to do before plug wire swap.

It feels as if my gears were swapped for 4.88s or someone installed 2 extra cylinders. which I know didnt happen

00srad600

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9
Transmission
Manual
On my 92 ford ranger 2.3 single cab short bed. Only mods were whole engine port heads lower intake upper intake and headers high comp pistons and a valve job a ram air and full header back 3 inch pipe till split to dual 2.5 out the rear. Running 3.83 rear with the MSD coils I got 40 mpg city and like high 50's on the high way and it was body dropped with 18 with low pros

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
On my 92 ford ranger 2.3 single cab short bed. Only mods were whole engine port heads lower intake upper intake and headers high comp pistons and a valve job a ram air and full header back 3 inch pipe till split to dual 2.5 out the rear. Running 3.83 rear with the MSD coils I got 40 mpg city and like high 50's on the high way and it was body dropped with 18 with low pros
:bsflag:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had an Stripped down fleet 89 2.3 with a M5OD. I think the best it got was high 20s to low 30s with no power anything.. only thing the engine powered was alt and waterpump.

I seriously doubt a built 2.3 would have better fuel MPG than a stripped down stock one....

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Are you high?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
He cant even get the rear axle ratio right. You think hes going to get the math right?
No kidding, 3.90 is the closest ratio available... and that is in an 8.8...which would likely not be in his truck.

40mpg is literally impossible to pull out of a 2.3, let alone anything higher... my question is why even make up a stupid story like this.

Second thought, I take it back, there IS a way to do it, you just have to let the truck roll down a very long hill and run the engine for a very specific period of time, then shut it off. I can't figure out the mathematical formula required for it though...

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
What most of you do not understand is what the term"wasted spark" means. It has nothing to do with the fact that there are two plugs in each cylinder. wasted spark means that two cylinders are paired up to first together, so not distributor is needed. The two cylinders are ones that are "piston pairs"; they move together, mechanically the same. But one is on the compression stroke and one on the exhaust stroke. The "wasted" spark is the one on the exhaust stroke. And, not much energy is wasted because it takes very little energy to fire a plug when there is no compression, ie: the exhaust stroke. This is a proven system that has been around for over 50 years, it's not new. Now what Ford did to this engine is provide a second plug that fires slightly after the first spark to allow this engine to meet emission standards and help cut down on the detonation problem inherent to these engines, especially when run leaner. And "thems" the facts boys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals