• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cicada

DK27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Heard a thump on our air conditioner in the living room and was like "wtf" and found this little guy...

Never really saw one up close just hanging out like htat before alive. Made me think of those robots from The Matrix

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Yeah, cicada. Ugly suckers but they don't bite or hurt you. Back around 1969 or 70 we had an explosion of them here, sweeping them up in big piles in the streets. Birds love 'em and think they're good eatin'.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They are pretty much unchanged from dinosaur days I think. I live out in the woods and when they come out on their 7 year cycle it's deafening outside. Some are on other cycles and you see them pretty much every year in small numbers, but the big coming out is pretty annoying.

The weird thing is when you catch them in their subterranian form. They are hideous little things. Their cycle is like this--they come out from deep underground where they have been eating tree roots and being mole food; climb a tree to about 3'; crawl out of their shell; unfurl their wings; fly like a zombie bug smashing into things until they get high up in the trees; raise hell to attract female bugs; copulate; then they make a slit in a branch and dump in their eggs. They they die and stink up the place. The eggs hatch, and the branch falls to the ground--thousands of branches come down all over. Then the new little nasty buglets burrow undreground and don't come out for another 7 years.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
We have two kinds here, the 7 year and the 17 year. A few years ago in a cicada year I was playing in a golf tournament and they left brooms on all the greens because you'd have to sweep a path to putt.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I hate those things!

They came out of the ground a few years ago and were everywhere! I tried cutting the grass and they were flying in to me, landing on me, etc. They make a lot of noise. It's weird in your in an area of trees that they're all over because of the noise. You could hear them in the car going down the highway with the windows up. They'll shed that skin/shell whatever and you'll find them stuck to the sides of trees with the cicada gone from inside it.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Do those make like a Buzzing sound during the day? They hang out in trees and bushes?

firefighter525

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Do those make like a Buzzing sound during the day? They hang out in trees and bushes?
thats what I've always been told. they make that (*mimics sound*) wee ahh weeee ahhh weeeeeeeee sound. :D

Maybe someone here will know for sure

DK27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I believe they hang out in trees and make noise. This is about the third one I've seen where I'm living now (one had left it's shell on my steps and looked like it died right away). They seem pretty dumb/annoying as this one ran into the window about 30 times over and over again. It got old pretty fast and they really seem to be able to move and make a thump!

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Big insects are part of living in the forest. Honestly, a bunch of 1-2 inch bugs wouldn't faze me much, even in large numbers.

It's the 7 inch beetles that freak me (and my cats) out. And the 5 inch "WTFs" that look something like really, really big red and green ants.

I live in an odd habitat -- very sandy dry soil in a moist coastal region, with high elevation plants (mainly ponderosa pine) at low elevation. So, some of these insects are endangered. Not that you would really want to mush a 7 inch beetle. At least not without a power washer (and I'd guess a noseplug) handy....

DK27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I remember the first time I went camping with my fiance's parents I saw some big and flying around and when it landed I was pretty surprised to see it was a bee. Some of those thing were like the size of a pinky. Didn't want to get stung by one of those!

DK27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I remember the first time I went camping with my fiance's parents I saw some big and flying around and when it landed I was pretty surprised to see it was a bee. Some of those thing were like the size of a pinky. Didn't want to get stung by one of those!
Actually it's ironic I said that (can it be ironic when it's yourself? lol!) cause the I just remembered the bees I was thinking of are known as "Cicada Killers"

Edit: here's a nice shot.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Not all bees sting.

Carpenter bees, for instance. They like to buzz your head and make a lot of noise (and eat your rafters), but they don't have stingers.

DK27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Not all bees sting.

Carpenter bees, for instance. They like to buzz your head and make a lot of noise (and eat your rafters), but they don't have stingers.
Yeah, still annoying and I'm a big wuss with insects. Don't those things bite though?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Big insects are part of living in the forest. Honestly, a bunch of 1-2 inch bugs wouldn't faze me much, even in large numbers.

It's the 7 inch beetles that freak me (and my cats) out. And the 5 inch "WTFs" that look something like really, really big red and green ants.

I live in an odd habitat -- very sandy dry soil in a moist coastal region, with high elevation plants (mainly ponderosa pine) at low elevation. So, some of these insects are endangered. Not that you would really want to mush a 7 inch beetle. At least not without a power washer (and I'd guess a noseplug) handy....
It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't sit in the trees and scream day and night however, I am looking forward to the first frost to get rid of these stupid things. That said I am glad we don't have those beetles to mess with just Cicada's, grasshoppers and skeeters, and 2/3's of them are just an annoyance, some of the mosquitos however carry some pretty bad bugs themselves (West Nile Virus and others)

BlackBeauty84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ickyyyyy :eek:p i am afraid of bugs...especially BIG ones

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals