• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 2.3l Crank pulley removal

Tag1260

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
OK. Need to get the crankshaft pulley removed from my engine. Got the bolt out no problem. CANNOT get the pulley to budge. Any ideas? No holes for a harmonic balancer puller. Not sure I can get a gear puller on it. HELP!!!!!!

Thanks

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
What year? There's at least 3 different pulleys... I only have experience with the mid 80's and the early DIS version. Usually they come off without too much effort, I don't think I've had to use a puller as they aren't pressed on. I think a dead blow hammer hit (or a normal hammer with a 2x4 between the balancer and the hammer) around the perimeter could knock it loose. It might help to take the pulley part of the assembly off if it is removable

Just saw the '95 in the title, that might be the type with the tone ring right behind the pulley and the crank sensor off to the passenger side front of the engine... I believe the pulley part comes off most likely with 4 bolts from the front like the older ones, still same method from above, pretty sure that's what I've done...

Last edited:

Tag1260

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply.
1995. I had to use a puller but it didn't take much. However I did find the problem. The crank sprocket had spun on the crankshaft and the key was bent. Now I either have to replace the crank or try a repair/patch that I read about. Probably try the patch as with 230,000 miles a full rebuild would make more sense with a new crank. Now I have to start looking for a donor engine.........

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
have mine apart again for the same thing but... turns out the balancer, which spun about 3 years ago, didn't spin again. last time, it sheared the key and broke a chunk off the keyway on the crank. put in a new key-about $3 from ford!- and put it back together.
not sure yet what the problem is. but with over 300k on the motor, i'm just looking to keep it running for another year

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals