• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4 wheel drive question

Colepop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2004 Ranger 4X4 hubs are locked in. Won't come out. Dash switch works. Transfer case ( with shaft removed) will lock in and out with switch but when you put front tires off ground the front axles turn

What do I check to unlock hubs? Both axles to hubs turn as well as the front axle

Did we mess up the transfer case by driving it slow (under 35 mph)?

I appreciate all help and advice

Colin

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Nothing is broken at all. All 2001+ trucks are live axle front ends. The axle shafts are splined directly to the wheel bearing/hub assembly. There is no unlocking them.

Colepop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Now I am really confused

So the axles from each front tire always turn and the front (rear end? for lack of a better term) also turns the axle to the transfer case? In 2 wheel drive?

I am totally confused now. I thought the switch activated the hubs and the transfer case to engage?

Thanks

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
So the axles from each front tire always turn and the front (rear end? for lack of a better term) also turns the axle to the transfer case? In 2 wheel drive?
Yes, that's correct. Everything is supposed to always be engaged, even in 2 wheel drive.

I am totally confused now. I thought the switch activated the hubs and the transfer case to engage?

Thanks
No, the switch only engages the transfer case. It does nothing with the hubs.

All 2001 and newer Rangers are like this. Ford could never figure out how to build a reliable automatic locking hub, and customers are too lazy and don't want manual hubs, so Ford finally said, "screw it, leave 'em locked in all the time."

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
unless you put the tcase in 4wd, everything will spin but it's not being given any power. some jeeps are the same way

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The front axle is a "live axle" meaning even in 2WD all of the front drive train components are still spinning. This kind of helps give you the shift on the fly 4WD setup without breaking the auto-locking hubs. Jacking up the front end and spinning the wheels, yes the front axle shafts will spin as well as the front drive shaft to the t-case.

Pressing the 4x4 button or turning the knob will just engage the transfer case. There are not any hubs in the front end as you would think in a conventional 4x4 truck.

The problem with this system is all the drive train components in the front end are always spinning creating drag and reduced fuel economy, I believe somewhere in the tech section there's a write up on converting this system to manual hubs (which makes more sense to me).

Yep people are so lazy today that heaven forbid they had to turn 2 knobs and pull a lever to engage 4WD. I personally like this system much better, no relying on electronics.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The problem with this system is all the drive train components in the front end are always spinning creating drag and reduced fuel economy, I believe somewhere in the tech section there's a write up on converting this system to manual hubs (which makes more sense to me).
Dude, it costs like .2 MPG. The drag factor adds up to insignificant losses over the life of the vehicle.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Dude, it costs like .2 MPG. The drag factor adds up to insignificant losses over the life of the vehicle.
Really? I figured spinning all the other components would really drag down fuel economy. So is it the same for say an older ranger with manual hubs and leaving them locked in which so many people say is an absolute no-no? I find it funny I ran around in my 88 Ford F-250 with the hubs locked in all winter and never had a problem. And never noticed any huge loss in fuel economy. Someone told me one time that leaving the hubs locked in caused horrible fuel economy loss spinning all the front drive train components. Who knows, all I know is its a truck its not a fuel saver LOL. I guess it may make a slight difference but at less than 1mpg I don't see why people complain about it.

Thanks for the enlightment adsm08. Makes sense now, never thought of really figuring up the difference.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The newer trucks have CV joints instead of u joints, they take it a lot better for the long term.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They've pretty much covered the question, but I just wanted to clarify the below quote.

I believe somewhere in the tech section there's a write up on converting this system to manual hubs (which makes more sense to me).
The 1998 through mid 2001 Rangers had the failure prone Pulse Vacuum Hub system. If they are working they are great, but when/if they fail it'll probably be in the middle of nowhere exactly when you need them. It is possible to modify those hubs to be permanently locked in or to be manually lockable, but once the modification is done it can't be reversed without replacing the hubs. The instructions in the Tech Library are for doing these mods, and they are very handy to get your 4wd back working when you are stuck out in the middle of nowhere. They will not work on the mid 2001 and up Rangers with live axles.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Really? I figured spinning all the other components would really drag down fuel economy. So is it the same for say an older ranger with manual hubs and leaving them locked in which so many people say is an absolute no-no? I find it funny I ran around in my 88 Ford F-250 with the hubs locked in all winter and never had a problem. And never noticed any huge loss in fuel economy. Someone told me one time that leaving the hubs locked in caused horrible fuel economy loss spinning all the front drive train components. Who knows, all I know is its a truck its not a fuel saver LOL. I guess it may make a slight difference but at less than 1mpg I don't see why people complain about it.

Thanks for the enlightment adsm08. Makes sense now, never thought of really figuring up the difference.

As was already said, leaving the front end locked on a TTB front end is worse for it because the U-joints can't handle it as well as the CV joints do. It has a lot to do with the stresses put on U-joints when they are operated at high angles, like you get while turning, for extended periods.

I do leave my front hubs locked most of the winter and have sometimes forgotten to unlock them well into Summer. I have never had a failure from it, and myself have only noticed about .5 MPG loss from it. Doing that for almost 10 years I never had a failure. That front axle was all original when I swapped it out for the D-35, with no problems.

One of the other reasons for not leaving the front end locked in when it is not a live axle is the possibility of catastrophic failure if the transfer case should accidentally engage at high speed.

Here are some pictures of an F-550 that was retrofitted with a 700 piece transfer case because the driver left the hubs locked and accidentally pulled on the T-case shifter at 75 MPH.

I thought I had some pics of what it did to the drive shafts (can you say "pretzel"?) but I can't find them.

Colepop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys

I have owned Jeeps, Toyotas, Mazda and two Fords 4 X 4's and I thought all worked the same way but I learned something today

Thanks for all the advice and knowledge

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I try and remember to disengage the hubs on my trucks but if we have a bad winter they usually just remain locked until spring, but I remember looking at the hubs on my F-250 around August one year and noticed I hadn't unlocked them since winter LOL. Never had a failure, but I can understand where the idea of not leaving them locked in when not being used comes from. I'd rather take a couple minutes and lock them in when I need the 4WD than blow a transfer case, or other drive train component.

Last thing I'm worried about in my trucks is gas mileage, however at $4+ a gallon every little bit helps now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals