• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford 8N starting problems

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 8n tractor with the original 6V positive ground electrical system. The problem is it won't crank over unless it's jump started. The battery, acording to my tester shows it has 8V. If I Put the battery charger on it set at 6V it'll start but if I am in a hurry i put it at 12V.

This battery is only about a yr. old. Is there any way it could be anything but the battery? Solenoid maybe? Any help is appreciated.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
well, 12v into a 6v system (at least from what I've been told) is kinda bad for the electrical system, too much of a difference or something. It's the AMPs that are what you're after.

It does sound like a bad battery from the symptoms, there is likely a bad ground somewhere that is slowly draining the battery, or the Generator has stopped putting enough current out to charge the battery (but enough to run the engine, had a Cavalier alternator with that issue)

Most solenoids I've seen when they go bad have just stopped working all together.

I'd check to see how much current the generator is producing and examine all the wires for wear as a start for the diagnosis.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
sounds like a flat or bad battery. Stress test the battery.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, i'll check it out tonight.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The generator is putting out 7.4volts. I think i'll put a 8volt battery in it this weekend and see how that works for awhile. I have a friend who is a rep for interstate he can get me one cheap.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Without lights it shouldn't require much juice at all to run it. You should get more than a couple starts before the battery is flat, if it goes down fast you have problems elsewhere.

I would look into a 12v conversion, 8v is a bandaid. 6v requires everything to be almost perfect to work right and is a pain for a working tractor.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Go throught the system and clean all the connections.

Could the battery have frozen perhaps? It would take exposure to extremely cold tempuratures to kill it, not just below 32F or 0C.

Since you can still start it, its not the solenoid. I would lean towards a bad connection. I had a bad ground on my starter. It would start first time when cold but after that it would not start. I would have to wait a couple hours to try to start it again or I would have to smack the starter with a hammer to make it get a better connection again.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
There is nothing wrong with a good working 6v positive ground system. I have a 6v system working on an old standby generator... Still works just fine... You just have to do a little more maintenance from time to time (keep the connections clean)

Clean the crap out of all the connections... If it has an open mechanical start switch (I can't remember, it's been a long time since I worked on an 8n), clean it and hit the contacts with steel wool. Then test the battery, if that checks ok, check the starter.

Don't do the 8v system, You'll just kill everything else in the electrical system sooner.

Make certain that all of your cables and connections are good before anything else!!

dennis461

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Jeep
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Don't burn up the rest of the stuff...

You said the battery is one year old.
Do you mean, you bought it one year ago?
If it sat on the shelf for four years because no one needed a 6 volt, then the battery is no good.
Get your interstate guy to get you a 6 volt battery and try it before you burn up the starter using an 8 volt, or burn up the 6 volt generator trying to recharge an 8 volt battery.
:icon_thumby:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
The generator is putting out 7.4volts. I think i'll put a 8volt battery in it this weekend and see how that works for awhile. I have a friend who is a rep for interstate he can get me one cheap.
Yep, Generator is working fine, no issues there.

It's looking more towards a shady connection like the others mentioned.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think interstate will build you a battery.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
we had a '64 ford 4000 series that was always a pain to start. it was originally a 6V system. converted it to 12V and added a alternator and it started much better. seemed like it was taking so much amperage to run the starter that there was very little spark from the coil. is it a front distrubutor? those are a pain to deal with. we also have a old 8N with a bachoe/loader as well as a '46 2N that was bought new the year dad was born. the 8N hasnt been ran in years, we robbed parts off it (carb, distributor) to get the 2N running when we overhauled the motor when i was still in high school. (over 20 years ago) id like to get the 8N going again someday. the 2N has no starting issues. will run forever on a tank of fuel too. both our "N" series tractor have the sherman overdrive. the 2N will do 20 mph in 3-overdrive.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I never thought about how long the battery actually sat on the shelf before i bought it. It is subject to some cold weather but I keep it in my garage.
I might even rewire the whole thing since some of the wires are not in the best of shape.

It does run a lot better now that i started tinkering with it. The sediment bowl gasket was deteriated so bad it was cutting off my fuel supply. I put new points and condenser in it. Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll post later on how it turns out.

RedRanger888

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some pics too, if possible? Old tractors rock! :headbang:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
heres some pictures of what i grew up around. 1st one, 1950/51 8N
2nd one 1946 2N
#3 1951 john deere A
#4 1966 john deere 1020 gas with loader
#5 1967 oliver 1650 diesel n/a
#6 1976 oliver 1855 turbo diesel
#7 1973 john deere 6600 diesel combine
. i wish i had a digital pic of the '64 ford 4000. it was traded for the 1020 deere. i could have took it to ag shows unrestored, ive never seen another like it. it had the wide front and 5 speed trans. alot of them in that era were the troubled select-o-speed. (basically a manual valve body automatic, bands and planatarys) it was blue with white hood and fenders. 172 4 cyl gas. grandpa bought it new. the @n and deere A havent been out of the barn in years. this has got to be my longest post ever!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals