• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Pressure

mdmarble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've noticed my oil pressure guage tends to do some weird things every now and then. Usually when I get off the freeway after a while, probably about 20-30 minutes of driving and I let off the gas at a stop light, once the engine goes down to idle, about 600-700 RPM my oil pressure guage starts bouncing up and down iradiclly. It's not like it slowly drops down like it should after running at a high RPM for a while, it just bounces a lot. When I got home today and had it park idling, it kept bouncing and wouldnt stop. I shut the engine off and started it again and it wouldnt do it. It dosent do this all the time, only when Ive gotten off the freeway after a while.

I've got an 02 3.0. Maybe its just the guage, IDK.

Any one with the same problems??

-Mike

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The '02 2.3 Ranger I drive at work does that sometimes. I don't really pay much attention to it since the gauge is a stupidly-designed piece of crap anyway. The stock temp. gauge, however, I found out works very well when that same Ranger over-heated on me a few months ago.

mikhail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
dont all the newer fords have dummy guages? i know my aunts explorer does, its like an 05 though but when you start it the oil pressure guage goes right up to the middle lol. i wouldnt trust any of the newer guages, they all stay in the same place unless something is really wrong, like your motor is about to throw a rod, then itll show no pressure

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
ALL Ranger's oil pressure gauges are dummy gauges, along with probably every other Ford vehicle from the 80's and newer. Newer Rangers (like my 2006) don't even have the oil pressure gauge anymore. The only gauges I have are speedo, tach, gas, and temp. I think it's only the oil pressure gauges in the older trucks that don't work, the other gauges (temp, volts, tach, etc.) seem to work well. I want to eventually add an oil pressure gauge and a tranny temp gauge to my truck.

mdmarble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ALL Ranger's oil pressure gauges are dummy gauges, along with probably every other Ford vehicle from the 80's and newer. Newer Rangers (like my 2006) don't even have the oil pressure gauge anymore. The only gauges I have are speedo, tach, gas, and temp. I think it's only the oil pressure gauges in the older trucks that don't work, the other gauges (temp, volts, tach, etc.) seem to work well. I want to eventually add an oil pressure gauge and a tranny temp gauge to my truck.
Whats a "dummy guage?" Is it just a poorly designed guage that dosent really work, or is it just there to make the customer feel more confident and trustworthy in their vehicle, or a combonation of the two. One thing I have noticed is it does never budge. When I give it gas the oil pressure dosent go up, I've always thought it should go up a little. What the other guy said about starting your tuck and the guage going right up to the middle. Shouldnt it slowly rise to like a high center, and then drop back down once the engine is warm? I've noticed with my boat, I have a 6DLP-DTE Yanmar diesel in it, and my oil pressure slowly rises up to 40, and then drops to 20lbs once the engine is running warm. This is what a true oil guage should be, right?

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You probably need an oil pressure sending unit. My 2000 Ranger Sport needed one while it was still under warranty. The gauge would shoot up to normal, drop off, then pick back up.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Whats a "dummy guage?" Is it just a poorly designed guage that dosent really work, or is it just there to make the customer feel more confident and trustworthy in their vehicle, or a combonation of the two. One thing I have noticed is it does never budge. When I give it gas the oil pressure dosent go up, I've always thought it should go up a little. What the other guy said about starting your tuck and the guage going right up to the middle. Shouldnt it slowly rise to like a high center, and then drop back down once the engine is warm? I've noticed with my boat, I have a 6DLP-DTE Yanmar diesel in it, and my oil pressure slowly rises up to 40, and then drops to 20lbs once the engine is running warm. This is what a true oil guage should be, right?
Yea, the "dummy gauge" will just sit right in the middle if the oil pressure is above 6 psi or so, which is why it's useless. Only if it drops below 6 psi, the gauge will go right to zero. It should fluctuate as the engine warms up and with rpm and such as you described. The dummy gauge does the same thing as a "check oil" warning light, and older Rangers had both, which is pretty redundant. I guess that's why Ford finally got rid of the gauge in the newer trucks.

Danger-Ranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
my 96 did it since the summer, fuckin oil pressure guage sending unit didnt fix it either. It's since bounced so much that its stuck UNDERNEATH the pin it sits on at L, so it doesn't bounce anymore, its stuck underneath heh.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Mine in my 90' BII will bounce like crazy at a stop light in netral when just idling, so does my other BII.....Dummy Gauge.....

mossyoak03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You probably need an oil pressure sending unit. My 2000 Ranger Sport needed one while it was still under warranty. The gauge would shoot up to normal, drop off, then pick back up.
thats what i was going to say

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals