• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

valve cover gasket replacement

johnnygarcia185

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I recently just bought a 2000 ranger ™2.5 and believe i have a leak coming from the valve cover gasket. What im asking is for.some insight on how to replace it and what surprises might to be expected, also which company i.should buy.the actual gasket from bosch,ac denco etc.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Not sure with that engine what surprises you might encounter, but did you try to tighten the VC or check the bolts? Vibration can cause them to back off a bit and might be all it needs is tightening...but don't over torque them because it can cause a leak...or worsen the situation...I think they are something like 15 inch pounds of torque but I don't have my manual handy...

I've used the blue rubber VC gaskets for quite a while...they tend to stretch once heated so they are not a good choice if you have to remove the VC and they are about four times the price of a cork gasket.

I've seen some actually glued onto the VC base...meaning this is a common problem with these engines...

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
I prefer the blue rubber gasket, you can get one from FelPro. They do tend to stretch, but they are re usable, i have had my valve cover off too many times to list, and always use the same gasket for the last 4 years at least. The cork gaskets leak easier and are temperamental to proper torque and a perfectly smooth VC. The rubber is never going to get over-tourqued because of the steel rings at the holes, you will strip out the bolt hole before you compress it too far (ive done it). before you go and do it make sure your EGR tube will come loose from the ends if its in the way.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
The valve cover bolts come out easy, but when you go to pull the cover off, you will need to twist it and pull it at an angle to get it out. The back will not want to lift past the firewall and wire harness that runs to the ecu. Remove the bolts holding the harness in place, so you can manipulate it. Be patient and rotate it until you find the sweet spot. And take your time before cinching down the cover, as you put it back on it usually moves the gasket out of place. So be sure its strait!

Any job worth doing is worth doing right!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals