• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 ford ranger problem

rick68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 ford ranger! It will start good cold but doesn't run weel it act's like a miss or bad hesatation in it but after it get's hot and you cut it off it won't start by the key switch but you can drift start it and get it going! I have replaced plug's,wires,fuel regulator,coil pack,icm. so if anyone could help I'd greatly appriecaite it.also it has the 4.0l engine in it

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 94 ford ranger! It will start good cold but doesn't run weel it act's like a miss or bad hesatation in it but after it get's hot and you cut it off it won't start by the key switch but you can drift start it and get it going! I have replaced plug's,wires,fuel regulator,coil pack,icm. so if anyone could help I'd greatly appriecaite it.also it has the 4.0l engine in it
fuel pump / fuel filter or both

did you check fuel pressure? should be between 30 and 40 psi if i am recalling specs correctly.

if pump is bad take bed off its much easier than pulling the tank. and replace fuel filter while you are at it

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just to be clear, engine runs rough when cold but runs OK when warm?

When warm the starter turns over the engine at a good speed but engine will not start?

Could be a couple of separate issues.
Starter motor could be on it's way out, when warm the starter could be drawing too many amps which lowers the voltage at the coil, so crank starting won't work when engine/starter is warm but bump starting does.
Cold starter motor doesn't draw the extra amps.
I would test coil voltage with engine warmed up and starter turning, should be 10v or higher.
Could also be corrosion in wire ends, this raises the resistance in the wire and so reduces the voltage going to the coil.
Warm wire has more resistance than cold wire, so starts fine when wires are cold but not when wires are warm because of the extra resistance from the corrosion.

Fuel injected engines can't use a standard choke plate for cold starts, they use a sensor to tell the computer that the engine is cold and to run engine rich until it warms up, so poor operation when cold could mean a "choke" issue.
This is called the ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor, it is a two wire sensor.
There is also a one wire sender that looks similar, it is used for the dash board temp gauge.
two wire=ECT for computer << this is the Choke for EFI engines
one wire=sender for gauge

Easy to test this sensor
http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=28

Last edited:

fordracing60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had this problem awhile back. When its warmed and running wiggle the wires to the coil pack. Hope this helps

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals