• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Uniden PRO510XL

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've been tossing around the idea of getting a CB for a while, and after looking it seems the Uniden PRO510XL is a good unit for a good price and the reviews I've seen were favorable. Anyone have experience with this model? Also, I know nothing about choosing an antenna, so suggestions on that would be appreciated as well.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
your radio would be a good, economical choice for sure. the antenna is probably 80% of how well a cb performs. you'll get different suggestions from everyone, but the main thing is to mount it as close to the center of the roof for the best all around range and performance. taller is better, but mounted up there, you will have limitations on length. many like the Lil' Will and similar base loaded antennas. others prefer the fiberglass loaded antennas of varying lengths. mostly it will depend on your budget and mounting location. be prepared to spend almost as much if not more on a really good antenna as you spend on the radio itself. you might try searching some of the threads here for suggestions as well as the tech library for some guidance.
good luck with your new endeavor!

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
seems like a good radio for personal use. like strvger stated your antenna is more important than the radio it's self.

just remember after installing your antenna and radio take it some were and have the antenna metered in and matched to that radio or you'll burn the finals out of the radio and have a dust collector..
I personally have a cobra 29 ltd night watch with duel 4' fiberglass antennas but that's on my freightlinner I'd suggest a single Lil' Will for what your doing..

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i love my lil uniden... it was FREE! lol
good little radio tho

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Might go with the PRO520XL, just 20 bucks more. This would be going in my Vic, for clarification. It'd be good for road trips and the cool factor.

This may be an obvious question, but I've seen pics of old cop cars with long ass metal antennas curved down and secured, does this affect the antenna?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
This may be an obvious question, but I've seen pics of old cop cars with long ass metal antennas curved down and secured, does this affect the antenna?
It shouldn't physically affect or damage the antenna, though you won't get a signal out very well if you try to use it like that (not to mention doing so could damage the actual radio itself).

Securing the antenna like that should only be done when not in use (to park in an underground parking garage is a good example).

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I figured that. Most pictures I've seen were repro or restomod cop cars, only seen one in real life, which I believe was a Galaxie. I am slightly worried about appearances, always thought extra antennas on cars looked a bit stupid. I think I read in another thread about something that allows you to use your normal radio antenna as a CB antenna. How expensive/effective is this route?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not nearly as good as the correct antenna for the cb radio frequencies. but, if appearance is the priority, they do sell them on ebay. kinda old school, but you can check them out for sure there. they also have cb antennas that look like old cell phone antennas if that would an option.

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
One idea I had was to get one of those aftermarket radio antenna elinimation things that let you get rid of your radio antenna, and possibley use the mount where the radio antenna was for the CB antenna. How short could I go with the CB antenna but still get good range for what I'd use it for (on road communication on road trips)?

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You're driving an LTD... and you're worried about how it looks? lol...

Just find a good 4ft stainless whip antenna and roll with that.

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You're driving an LTD... and you're worried about how it looks? lol...
The LTD CV is a work of art and don't you forget it. :thefinger: Plus, I can fit me, 5 cute girls, and enough booze in the trunk to kill a platoon.

Now, the smaller LTD (separate car)... hideous.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
One idea I had was to get one of those aftermarket radio antenna elinimation things that let you get rid of your radio antenna, and possibley use the mount where the radio antenna was for the CB antenna. How short could I go with the CB antenna but still get good range for what I'd use it for (on road communication on road trips)?
If you want good performance, I wouldn't go shorter than a 5' CB antenna (this obviously eliminates all those CB/AM/FM antennas). Ideally it should also be mounted dead-center atop the roof, though for some people this isn't always an option... Next-best place would be on the trunk lid. Bumper mounting or anyplace low should only be used as a last resort.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a lil Wil Wilson for 20 plus shipping. But I am not sure how much shipping would be. USPS probably not much

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know length = range/effectiveness = important, so how do cops get by with the tiny ass trunk mounts they use now?

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know length = range/effectiveness = important, so how do cops get by with the tiny ass trunk mounts they use now?
They aren't running cb band. I think they are vhf or fm signal. MUCH better range.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals