• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bugging Out / Survival

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
if everone is hunting at once, with a large population, game will get thin.. best plan is to get land and grow your own food, get your friends and family together to defend it and offer to trade with people if they dont try to shoot you, if they do, then turn em into manure... reminds me of the acient "ant and the grasshoper" story..

jakubek1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
To have any chances of survival you will have to get as far away from big population places, when ppl get cold and houngry they will put their hands on your stuff without thinking about it, and if they can, they will kill you to get what they want.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
1) Home preparedness (food, water, heat, electric)

-Wood burning furnace (ducted through out the house)
-Cistern setup is what our house has, can haul your own water in and store/pump it.
-Run a diesel generator on bio-fuel

2) Vehicle preparedness (equipment, setup, supplies)
3) The perfect survival/bug-out vehicle (mini, fullsize, pickup, suv, other)

-A 4wd version of my 95' dodge diesel with a 'work' style canopy. Enough 4wd ability for most area's and enough storage for gear/parts and mileage to keep you sustained for long periods of time, I can pull over 600miles/1000km to a tank and it'll run on biodiesel as well.

Like this but older with the 12V, and the compartment doors where the windows are....

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
What if on this big chuck of land you trap and breed hogs? Lol I realize you'd have to feed them but they'll feel you.

Or cattle.. Eats grass.. Gives you beef. Just have to keep others from killing or stealing them

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
thats called farming lol, instead of cyotes, its raiders

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
My bobtail gets 16mpg with no trailer. Can push. Anything out of its way and can run on bio fuel/ wmo. Has enough room for my family of 5 and can pull whatever I want. I got a few days worth of MRE's and storable food and water filters....... Plan on a cross bow, shot gun, AR-15, my 9mm, and a big bore I have yet to purchase...... Like somebody else said, I plan on staying on the move.

And a sword for dispatching zombies..... And a chain saw... Just a good idea to have one.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Situations I see myself potentially faced with:

1) Being snowed in
2) A black out (temporary - hours or several days)
3) Natural disaster (Tornado? - that could disrupt services for weeks and block roads)
4) Terrorist attack/war (That either disrupts services by direct attack or EMP)

My 4x4 F-150 if equipped with a shell on the back and winch in the front, could be a great bugout vehicle during natural disaster, but may not be useful if an EMP was used.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Yeah..... Bobtail would also fail during emp...... Idi diesel with an air starter would solve that.... Or be prepared to swap electronic parts..... I should put a spare ecm and fuel modules for the bobtail in the box and get ahold of spare powerstroke electronics.

Not to worried about being snowed in and I can build a simple windmill for power if it came to that.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
really, all you need is an epic ****load of ammo and a car.

trade ammo for what you need.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ive been interested in this for some time. There are some great websites out there with good information. Ive always heard that older vehicles that arent computer based are the best for a bug-out vehicle. 4wd of course. I keep a small bag in my truck with lighters, food, water, an emergency blanket and some other things. One of those just in case things. If anyone is looking for good books on the subject you need to read a book called Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse by James Wesley Rawles. Its a fiction book that reads almost like a manual on bugging out. One of my favorite books of all time is called One Second After by William R. Forstchen. It really opens your eyes and makes you think. I highly recommend this one.
daniel is right on this. both of those books are great, i own both of them. they really open your eyes and make you think about stuff.

"One Second After" is more of a story and some of the stuff probably wouldnt happen as the author writes it.

"Patriots" is an in depth look at scenarios you could be faced with as well as things you need to think about storing away. it's put into a novel format so it isnt so dry and is actually entertaining.

with a full out collapse of society, where reconstruction is going to be years away, the population is going to start falling off quickly. especially if it were to happen this time of year. you'd have a lot of people that just arent prepared and would die of starvation and exposure.

people that take heart medicine, cholesterol medicine, diabetes supplies, etc., they depend on a functioning society in order to get those meds. they're days are numbered based on their current supply.

also, simple things like appendicitis are suddenly going to become life threatening again. even with a surgeon, if you dont have a sterile environment to do the surgery, your chances of surviving are slim.

you want to have as low a signature as possible and be WAY off the beaten path. yeah, owning animals would be great, but that's gonna give another group of people a reason to come kill you. you cant keep a heard of cattle or chickens or hogs quiet enough that no one knows you have them. the best way to survive would be planting almost all of your food, having food already stored up and being able to can food for the cold months. and like will said, you need a large group of friends and guns/ammo to defend yourself.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It would be important to have items you could barter with as well. Booze and cigarettes especially would be good things to have so you can trade them for things you really need.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I wonder how many of todays generations know how to can food? My mom and aunts could, but I don't know how.

84 ranger 2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
in my opinion knowledge is the key! got a army training hand book and reading cover to cover. a person needs to know combat hand to hand and good self defense. got my ammo and weapons too. learn to farm, build and repair as much as possible. build a team to help each other organize and plan. getting stock pile of mres going. girlfriend is staff sargent and son and some friends in service also. aquaint yourself with some. you eyes will open up to possiblities. learning how to harvest rain water and gonna make something to generrate it's own electricity. a good shelter will be key in case of nuclear fallout (radiation). enough of my soap box. how ham radio operators? communication is a key issue also.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I wonder how many of todays generations know how to can food? My mom and aunts could, but I don't know how.
my grandparents can all sorts of stuff. they've shown me how to do it.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
ham radio will be key if its not an EMP thing.. cb doesn't offer the distance. i'm glad to call myself a ham operator, even tho i only have my tech license, we have HF units since my dad has all the licenses.

like mentioned, farming and canning of food will be useful to know to, if you're not on the move.. idk for sure that moving would be the best option. guess it depends on what resources you have...

personally i think i'd go down to our farm land in Pontotoc; w/ a little imagination and all the old farm stuff in the 5 different barns, i think i could make almost anything i need.

farm by hand to save what fuel was available. there's a few natural springs on our land down there... plenty of game to hunt, even just wild hogs... good bit of them. there's even an old windmill on the property that used to power the well pump. i think i'm pretty good as long as i got ammo and food (or a way to grow it)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals