• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

flex fuel sensor malfunction?

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If your never going to run E-85, the cheapist, and most reliable solution is to unplug the E-85 sensor, and swap the Flex-Fuel PCM for a non-Flex Fuel 3.0L PCM.

00stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L flex
Transmission
Automatic
i didn't know i had a flex fuel truck until i had my friend scan the code. Fixizin, i wouldn't call it i time bomb, where you live there's probably a lot of flex 3.0L so it would be easy to find a sensor at a wrecker. i found a thread on the net where someone else was complaining about how much he payed for the sensor, then someone else said they picked one up fo 10$ at the wrecker. it doesn't seem to be that common of a problem for these sensors to go, but even if you change to 1 or 2 in the life of truck, it shouldn't cost too much with wrecker parts.

when i change the sensor, i'll post what was involved. if it's fairly easy to change, i would suggest that everyone find a spare sensor(just in case). my truck died when i was towing my atv, so i drove my atv to get to a phone. i'd hate to see someone get stranded in the middle of nowhere.

unpluging the sensor doesn't work. that was the first thing i tried when the truck died the first time on the side of the road. engine would turn over but not start, pluged the sensor back in and it would start but run like a deisel.

changing the pcm should work but even the wreckers around here want around 200$. i'm just going to always carry a spare sensor. hopefully it's going to be easy to change

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Does your truck have the little green leaf on the the back or side? If it does, it's a flex-fuel vehicle. Ford labels them all with that little leaf.

00stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L flex
Transmission
Automatic
my truck has no leaf, or even a xl or xlt badge. i have a feeling the PO took it off so i wouldn't notice it was flex. there's no reason to own a flex out here since gas stations don't carry e85. the only place i noticed it says flex fuel is inside the fuel filler door but i never noticed it before.

does anyone know what's involved to change the sensor? if i figure out how to post pics, i'll show or at least describe what's involved for the next person who has this problem. i noticed there is a NHTSA service bulletin for this problem. the id # is 613656. ford doesn't seem to have any tsb's or recalls for it though. what does NHTSA stand for?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is responsible for reducing deaths, injuries and economic losses resulting from motor vehicle crashes...

Google is our friend..

Big Jim

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
NHTSA. National Hiway Traffic Safety Administration. Check their website. Service bulletins are not always listed for all models. Example: Early Explorers have a fire problem. The mirror switch shorts and catches the truck on fire. They are suspected of having burned down a couple of buildings.

There is a service bulletin on this problem, but it only pertains to 4 doors. When my 2 door burned, no service bulletins could be found for the 2 door even tho it is the same switch/circuit. :pissedoff:shady

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
All recalls and TSB's MUST be reported to the NHTSA if it applies to vehicles in the US market. However the full text of the TSB does not have to be reported as it is proprietary information.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
National Highway Traffic Safety Admin.

You can search their site (NHTSA.gov) for recalls, etc.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Bumpety-BUMP!... so stranger... how much hassle involved in the swap-out?

Definitely on the shopping list for next salvage yard junket.

Prime_Ranger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ttt

Are there any updates on this problem from anyone?

I have a guy here who has the same problem.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like i need to hit the salvage yard and cut a bunch of sensors and make me some money... thank god i have a 93...

99roush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
sorry to jumpin

this sounds like my 99 3.0 ranger. it will start and run fine 1 day then it will just crank and crank the next... it will run for about a week or so with no probs then it will just start missing then die like it is running out of fuel. so did the flex fuel sensor solve the problem

betomonroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am amazed.:shok:
After all this I can not seem to be able to come to my senses.:icon_rofl:
I am going berzerk!:icon_twisted:
He mentioned black smoke coming out of the tail pipe.
How come nobody has suggested him to check for the fuel pressure just in case his fuel filter / pressure regulator unit is bad?
So much for a bunch of f***ing gear heads.:annoyed:
By the way... How much is this thing cost in Canada?:icon_confused:
Here is like $32.00 Us Dollars.:icon_thumby:

ODIEODIE96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
Flex Fuel Probles/ Solution

Hey guys been readin yer posts and having the same issue myself figured i'd send yall a little web site that helped me out BIG time. The product is called a flex fuel replicator and it basically does away with the E85 and you will no longer be able to run it WITHOUT having to pay out the ass for the flex fuel sensor. The replicator for the ford is priced at 150 bucks brand new straight from there web site. below is the website yall can visit and read what it does and maby order your own..

http://www.tandselectronics.com/

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals