• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 ext cab, fw d44 & 9inch, foa 14" coilovers, on 38s....finally done, somewhat.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
rock the wide tires man, i always want a wide tire under a truck. to me its the difference between sinking and chewing through

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
rock the wide tires man, i always want a wide tire under a truck. to me its the difference between sinking and chewing through
gonna for a while. i already have 2 38.5x15r15 tsl bias that have about 50-60% tread left, and gonna pick up two 38.5x15r15 boggers that have about 50% tread left tomorrow after work. got the tsls for 250, and the guy wants 300 for the boggers, but ima offer him 250. either way ima get them. so yea ill be rockin the wide tires for some time. also, gonna take the truck out for its first 'real' wheelin trip this weekend. see how she does, and whether or not i break shafts first time out.

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
. gonna take the truck out for its first 'real' wheelin trip this weekend. see how she does, and whether or not i break shafts first time out.
sooo...had to replace a steering box, add an assist ram, and do some other misc stuff to my buddys chevy before we were able to head out for the day. everything was going well, until i attempted what looked like a pretty long, rutted up, but easy enough hill climb in 2H. ended up breaking the welds on the spring perches, and the pinion angle got sent up to the point that the yoke ubolts got pinched between the yoke and driveshaft. ended up headin back to a friends house that was in the area, welded it all up, burned it in really good this time, then headed back out. wheeled really good for the rest of the day til we went to the 'obstacle course'. attempted the concrete wall at cow mtn, and about halfway up the rear shaft spit out the u joint at the axle. broke two caps, but had another ujoint. kept wheeling, then after a few hard hits coming off ledges and rocks, i heard some sort of leaking air or something then the truck started running like crap. opened the hood to find a huge hole in the top of the plastic intake manifold from the coilover crossemember. i thought 1/2" was enough clearance, but guess not. now i have to get a new intake, build an anti wrap bar, and do some other stuff...oh well, it was fun.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
expensive day it sounds like... my day yesterday cost me 35L of gas

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nah. not too bad i hope. never gonna buy napa super strength ujoints again, gonna get some spicers. definetly need to build an anti wrap bar as well, that axle wrap is nooooo good. gonna go to the the junkyard(only 5 min down the highway) tomorrow to get a new intake, then clearance the coilover crossmember. otherwise everything went great. still have to mount the tsls and boggers, cut a little more fender from each corner, and get an assist kit and tap/rebuild the steering box, oh and put in the saginaw pump. also, i found a hydro-boost setup off an late 80s ford diesel i can grab for 45 bucks. was thinkin bout getting it and puttin a new master on it, sound like a good idea? i wasnt sure if it was worth it because i can lock up all four 38s with the stock ranger/f150 crap.

Last edited:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why would you bother with the hydro assist brakes? you have vacuum so just use a vac booster...

it just seems like hydro assist would be over complicating things... if they were a better setup, ford would use them on their gas motors

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why would you bother with the hydro assist brakes? you have vacuum so just use a vac booster...

it just seems like hydro assist would be over complicating things... if they were a better setup, ford would use them on their gas motors
thats what i was questioning, whether or not it was even worth it. i have the vacuum booster setup already, and can lock up the 38s on dry pavement, so i was wondering if the hydro boost would be a significant increase in braking power.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats what i was questioning, whether or not it was even worth it. i have the vacuum booster setup already, and can lock up the 38s on dry pavement, so i was wondering if the hydro boost would be a significant increase in braking power.
imo, no it won't... if you can already lock up the tires, keep your setup... you can't get better than locking them up...

plus the hydro assist takes pressure from the p/s pump to operate, thus starving power from the motor... vacuum doesn't do that...

and like i said, if the hydro assist WAS better in any way shape or form, ford would put it on everything, not just diesels...

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
imo, no it won't... if you can already lock up the tires, keep your setup... you can't get better than locking them up...

plus the hydro assist takes pressure from the p/s pump to operate, thus starving power from the motor... vacuum doesn't do that...

and like i said, if the hydro assist WAS better in any way shape or form, ford would put it on everything, not just diesels...
very good point. didnt think of it that way. guess ill keep what im rolling with for now.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and to finish off, the reason ford DOES use it on diesels, is because typically, diesel motors don't create vacuum, therefor cannot run vacuum accessories

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and to finish off, the reason ford DOES use it on diesels, is because typically, diesel motors don't create vacuum, therefor cannot run vacuum accessories
i knew that one already. thanks for the input tho

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no worries man, don't over complicate your build, it's a sweet truck!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

you thing hydro boost is only on diesels?

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you thing hydro boost is only on diesels?
i'm sure they can be found on other vehicles, namely ones with forced induction, but they are mostly on diesels

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals