• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

advice please -axle

minerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
dana 44 6cf

i have a dana 44 6cf front axle in my 75 f-250 highboy. i need the outer axle. i cant find the date on the axle. truck has disc brakes on front with ball joints. would it be safe to order from lmc a axle for a 77 model? any and all info is greatly appreciated.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
You need to order from 77.5-79 F250. But I am also fairly certain that F150 dana 44 stub will also work.

minerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
If its a disk axle, its either 76 or 77. It's a 44 HD if its got big hubs that are over 4" in diam. That shaft should be the same as a regular 44 I'm told. I havent checked this. I have a stub shaft from a regular 44 I'd sale for $25 shipped if you want try it.

scubasteve

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
If it is an eight lug or considered a HD axle, regular D44 stub shafts WILL NOT work. the lengths of the stub shafts is off by about a half inch. also the grove for the snap ring is at a different distance from the end of the stub shaft.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if its an apen knuckle disc break high pinion axle its from a 77.5 to 79 and you need this shaft. The later open knuckle hd axles did NOT have the big lockouts but rather standard 1/2 ton lockouts the 77 hd shaft wont work because it has a larger u joint whereas the 77.5 up has the 760x joint. easy way to tell is open or closed knuckle that is the main difference. this only applies to 8 bolt axles though.
sources for shafts and other parts:
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-400
they have oem dana shafts/parts
http://completeoffroad.com/c-59880-dana-44.html
good selection and the only chromo set ive seen made specifically for this axle\

Oh and upgrade to the 760 joint while its out

Hope that helps

-Evan

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
He said it was a balljoint axle. No closed knuckle.

minerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys for all your help.looking at some yokes tomorrow. hope to be able to cut and weld new yoke on my axle. the axle is fine, the yoke is shot. i'll let you know. thanks again.

minerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggg

need a stub axle for a 44 6cf . found it at bronco. it uses the 760 joint . 760 joint wont work with stock axles, sowhat do i do to make the stub fit my stock long axle? thanks much
lmc offers the axle assembly for the 44, but doesnt say if its the hd or not. will it work?

Last edited:

minerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thinking about going with new alloy axle shafts from offroaddesign.com. i have a d44 6cf front in a 75 highboy. wondering about you guys opinion. going to go with 760 joints. will the new axles go right into my housings with no changes? if i can jerk my axles out and slide the new ones right in, IM GETTING EM. no mechanic here. i figure it this way, i bought this truck about 2 mos ago, i now have a bad yoke on my stub, rather than do this again, and continue to have the downtime and cost of smaller axles being broken, i'll buy the best i can afford NOW. please advise me in the way i should go. thanks in advance. remember, i'm no mechanic, so keep it in laymans terms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you have the 297 joints the 760 should be a direct replacement. if you look in the tech article at the bottom it shows the 297 vs 760 and tells a little about them. Im not sure where youve read that the 760 wont fit but i havent heard that before. Ill keep looking and let you know if i find anything. good luck getting your truck on the road!
Ha sweet i just found this cool site
http://www2.dana.com/Expert/wc.dll?hvtss~dedsec~2~13~04~
says the 760 has the exact dimensions of the 297 so you should be good. double check with a caliper though. Good luck
-Evan

minerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks man i appreciate it. hope to post some pics soon.

minerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
dana 44 6cf question about some numbers i finally found.

got my long bar SHINING, no #s. short bar shows 9 10 6 c 4
second set of #s is 610005 1R
the c in the first set of #s could possibly be a G however i believe it is a c.
the diff has a large C on it as well.
im talking to Trailquest out of Ohio about an alloy shaft. he needed the bom #. my ? is what are these #s? how does 9 10 6 c 4 = a date?
and there is definately no hyphen between the 5 and the 1 in the second set of #s. thanks in advance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals