• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 Conversion Headers

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
jfl1960: please go back into your post and edit out all the pics there, but yours. There's no point in having these pics duplicated, it just makes it harder to get your input across. I tried the 94 passenger side Stang tubular manifolds, they don't work either, the drivers side will though as the tube routing is different from the 85-93 tubes.

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
jfl1960: please go back into your post and edit out all the pics there, but yours. There's no point in having these pics duplicated, it just makes it harder to get your input across. I tried the 94 passenger side Stang tubular manifolds, they don't work either, the drivers side will though as the tube routing is different from the 85-93 tubes.
Pic removed as requested. I must have the 85-93 manifolds, neither side fits with my setup. Just bought a set of Patriot Tri-Y's from Summit racing for around $156.00 plus s/h, will cost me 225 or there abouts once they arrive here in Canada with duty and taxes, from what I have read these have the best chance of fitting my setup, wish me luck. Here is a link to the headers I bought.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTE-H8426/

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I think your passenger side's a 94-95, The one I had, also had the EGR bung in one tube.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
OK got my new Tri-y's the other day, driver side fit like a glove perfect clearance everywhere, however the passenger side must be modified to fit around the AOD bell-housing. The pics below were taken with my motor and trans assembled and out of the engine bay, will post pics of the drivers side and mods to passenger side once I get them completed.

Collector hitting at trans pan

Secondary pipe hitting bell-housing at starter location

IMPT: I forgot to take a pic of the header flange to head fitment, in as received condition the collector hit the trans pan and the secondary pipe hit the bell-housing as shown, there was approximately a 1/2 to 5/8 " gap on the rear bolt location between the header flange and the head, a header bolt was loosely screwed into the front bolt hole on the header to hold it in place, so modifications are required.

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Not sure if anyone else noticed, but you can buy Tri-Y's in stainless on ebay now. There's also a set of Advance Adapters long tubes for a Ranger listed there now too.

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure if anyone else noticed, but you can buy Tri-Y's in stainless on ebay now. There's also a set of Advance Adapters long tubes for a Ranger listed there now too.
Yeah I looked at the SS headers and if I didn't have to mod I would have gotten them for sure, these Patriot headers came with all the hardware for $223.00 delivered to Canada, couldn't find a better deal. bought from Summit Racing if anyone is interested. As for the Advance Adapter headers I never saw a long tube design, will have to look again, can you post a part number for them? Or possibly a link if you have one. Thanks.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The item number is 160715483306 for the Advance Adapter headers. I went back and looked again, they're not long tubes, well one of them is (the passenger side) the driver's side is a mid length shorty. It's a buy it now listing and he's got it listed at $200

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
L&L Products has a great Header for 2X and 4x conversions.
HD all the way.

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
L&L Products has a great Header for 2X and 4x conversions.
HD all the way.
The L&L headers are similar in design to the Advance Adapter header, long tube on passenger and moderate length on drivers side, I prefer the long tube design on the patriot for torque, also installing mechanical dump valves, is easier to locate and operate with long tube headers in my opinion.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
The L&L headers are similar in design to the Advance Adapter header, long tube on passenger and moderate length on drivers side, I prefer the long tube design on the patriot for torque, also installing mechanical dump valves, is easier to locate and operate with long tube headers in my opinion.
The L&L Headers are Tubular all the way.
Not a piece of pipe with pice welded on.

http://landlproducts.com/list.aspx?cID=2

Chk them out there is a nice kit for the 97 down, not sure if they will fit my 03 but I would like to know.

I did ask them and they said yes they will fit all 5.0s in 83 to present but the frame chg’d in 98 so not sure where this will go.

I hope they do fit.

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Here are some pic of the Advance Adapter Header and the L&L header previously mentioned:

Really the only dif I can see is one is a flanged header collector and the other is a slip fit in design and one set dumps to the front on drivers side, suppose that is better for 4x4 setup, I do really like the big tube primary on these headers and thicker header flanges, makes it easier to control a leak, more plate there in case you need them surfaced, but with the thinner flange like on the Patriot I will just cut the flange between exhaust posts, this allows a better seal as there is no strain between ports on the flange, problem for me is with the AA and L&L headers they don't mention fitment using an AOD trans in their descriptions (at least I didn't see anything when I was reading the application notes) and unless you running a forced induction system (Blower, turbo or a power adder like NOS or Methinol fogger also know as snow) the larger primary tubes will hurt by slowing exhaust gas flow witch in turn will reduce torque at lower RPM's but will help at higher RPM's where these little motors make their best hp, just depends where you want it, as for fit up I am sure they work fine with C4 or std with small bell housing. If using a set of mechanical dump valves it would be difficult to set-up with this configuration.

The AD headers go for about $275.00 and the L&L are around $500.00 before shipping (PRICES ARE FROM THEIR MANUFACTURER'S SITES AND MAY VARY FROM SITE TO SITE). I paid $223.00 delivered to Canada for the Patriot Tri-y headers, if they don't work out power wise I will upgrade to something better in future but for now they suit my purpose and pocketbook. With some slight mods to my Ti-y headers they fit great and I can remove them from inside the engine bay.

Here are some links to the Advanced Adapter and L&L headers for you to view

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/pn-717044a/
http://landlproducts.com/details.aspx?cID=2&BP=0&scID=106&ItemID=1083

Here is a good shot of the Patriot Tri-y headers installed on a Ford Ranger V8 windsor conversion with a std and small bell housing where no mods were required to the headers, the builder took this pic with cab removed, great shot thanks, I forget which thread I got this from and sorry for not giving credit to actual owner if you see this pic and it's yours, first off thanks for posting it and please speak up so I can attach your name and a link to the picture for the original thread I got it from.

Last edited:

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Here are some pic of the Advance Adapter Header and the L&L header previously mentioned:
Your right not much difference.
I thought AA still used the ones that looked like a piece of pipe with smaller pipes coming out to attach to the exh ports.

Sorry about that I should have looked it up.

added: I used the L&L Headers/Conversion Kit on my ’88 Ranger/5.0L conversion, it was easy and everything fell into place.
I now want to do an 03 4x4 Conversion but from everything I have seen so far Torque Monster headers are the only thing out there and they cost $750 +.
Not sure where to go. but really want to get tubular type header that fit the rails with out a lot of trimming.

Sorry for the Hy-Jack.

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The difference in the pics posted above of the L&L and AA headers is the routing of the passenger side header. The drivers sides are almost mirror images of each other, not sure how the AA would clear the sterring box.. The AA header drops down below the starter, possibly coming into contact with the larger bellhousings, the L&L dumps above the starter, much like the Hedman 88400's do, but in a longer length header. The L&L would have a better chance of fitting a larger bell and should clear the frame better, not to mention not subjecting the starter to it's heat.

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I went back and looked at the AA headers on Ebay, there's something screwy here. The pics above posted by jfl1960 are different than the ones on ebay. The driver's side appears to be reversed to each other.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals