• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ham Radio Recommendation?

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I am going in next month to get my Ham ticket.
Any recommendation on a 2 meter mobile radio?
I was thinking of getting a dual band radio.
anything i should watch out for?

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont know much about this but my dad is a Ham operator of 42 years. I asked him and he says...

Anything new from a reputable dealer is a good choice. Stay away from Radio Shack, or if a deal on Ebay seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Milton

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
HAM Radio Recommendations

As with anything it's how much money do you want to spend.

Also it depends upon your religion. Want to start a war? Just go a HAM web site and post that your Yeasu/Kenwood/Icom radio is the best. The holy wars quickly begin!

Here's my 2 cents worth:
- get a unit with a detachable control head, it makes mounting a lot easier

- Terms:
-- Single band: transceiver only has one band, i.e. 2 meter only
-- Dual band/Single VFO: transceiver can operate on two bands (2 meter & 70 cm [also referred to as VHF and UHF]) but can only operate on one band at a time
-- Dual Band/Dual VFO: Like having 2 radios in one. You can monitor 2 channels simultaneously (VHF/UHF, VHF/VHF, UHF/UHF). Check the owners manual a true dual band/dual vfo transceiver should have "cross-band repeater" ability.
-- Cross-band repeater ability: Let's say your are working an event that is using a 2 meter repeater. Let's say that you want to leave your vehicle, but you are too far from the repeater for your handheld transceiver (HT) to reach the repeater. What to do? Set the mobile in your vehicle to operate as a cross-band repeater. When your mobile receives a signal from the 2 meter repeater, it retransmits the signal on the UHF band. You are carrying a UHF handheld so you can still hear the communications. You transmit on your UHF handheld and the more powerful mobile in your vehicle receives the UHF signal and retransmits it to the 2 meter repeater. You have complete communications at all times. This is a neat feature I have used many times.

Now for the actual recommendations:
Single Band:
- I have not seen a Single Band that comes with a detachable control head.
- If you're going single band go with the most power.
- YAESU FT-2900R (75 watts) $165 at www.hamradio.com

Dual Band/Single VFO:
- YAESU FTM-10R $380 at www.hamradio.com

Dual Band/Dual VFO:
- KENWOOD TM-V71A $405 at www.hamradio.com
- Dual bands are usually limited to 50-55 watts output.

Good luck with your test!

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Thanks for the info. I hope i'll pass, i been self studying reading some ARRL books from the library and some study guides i found on the net.

I been reading some of the Ham forums there about as bad as gun forums,
A tank full of sharks.

Dual Band/Dual VFO and Cross-band repeater, is something i wanted to get into since it sounds like what i want for hiking, but 400+ is out of my budget atm

I know a guy i help with his computers he has a few Kenwood's that he says does cross-band repeater. he want to sell them for 250$ each. i'll have to ask what models thy are.

As with anything it's how much money do you want to spend.

Also it depends upon your religion. Want to start a war? Just go a HAM web site and post that your Yeasu/Kenwood/Icom radio is the best. The holy wars quickly begin!

Here's my 2 cents worth:
- get a unit with a detachable control head, it makes mounting a lot easier

- Terms:
-- Single band: transceiver only has one band, i.e. 2 meter only
-- Dual band/Single VFO: transceiver can operate on two bands (2 meter & 70 cm [also referred to as VHF and UHF]) but can only operate on one band at a time
-- Dual Band/Dual VFO: Like having 2 radios in one. You can monitor 2 channels simultaneously (VHF/UHF, VHF/VHF, UHF/UHF). Check the owners manual a true dual band/dual vfo transceiver should have "cross-band repeater" ability.
-- Cross-band repeater ability: Let's say your are working an event that is using a 2 meter repeater. Let's say that you want to leave your vehicle, but you are too far from the repeater for your handheld transceiver (HT) to reach the repeater. What to do? Set the mobile in your vehicle to operate as a cross-band repeater. When your mobile receives a signal from the 2 meter repeater, it retransmits the signal on the UHF band. You are carrying a UHF handheld so you can still hear the communications. You transmit on your UHF handheld and the more powerful mobile in your vehicle receives the UHF signal and retransmits it to the 2 meter repeater. You have complete communications at all times. This is a neat feature I have used many times.

Now for the actual recommendations:
Single Band:
- I have not seen a Single Band that comes with a detachable control head.
- If you're going single band go with the most power.
- YAESU FT-2900R (75 watts) $165 at www.hamradio.com

Dual Band/Single VFO:
- YAESU FTM-10R $380 at www.hamradio.com

Dual Band/Dual VFO:
- KENWOOD TM-V71A $405 at www.hamradio.com
- Dual bands are usually limited to 50-55 watts output.

Good luck with your test!

Milton

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
These prices are new. $259 for a good working used Dual Band/Dual VFO/Crossband-Repeater (DB/DV/CR) transceiver is a good deal. The least expensive DB/DV/CR I've seen is the ALINCO DR-635T ($340 at www.hamradio.com). I have been using my Kenwood for years but have no personal experience with Alinco.

73's N5HMJ

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
I use the Yaesu FT-7800, now the FT-7900. Great radio, I've got 6, one in each rig.

eham.net lots of reviews and info

hro.com radio store I use

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've yet to come across a mobile radio with a receive as intermod-resistant as the Yaesu FT-8800R's. This will matter if you live in (or frequently travel through) a large urban area. The 8800R is a true-dual-band radio with cross-band repeat, though these days unfortunately it is a little bit above that $400 price point you mentioned (new anyway).

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I've yet to come across a mobile radio with a receive as intermod-resistant as the Yaesu FT-8800R's. This will matter if you live in (or frequently travel through) a large urban area. The 8800R is a true-dual-band radio with cross-band repeat, though these days unfortunately it is a little bit above that $400 price point you mentioned (new anyway).
That's a really nice radio, i'll have to keep my eye out for a used one or when my budget allows for it

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I talked to the guy, I help from time to time. he has 4 radios for sale

Alinco DR570
Alinco DR590
Kenwood TM732a
Kenwood TM733a

There mint in the box.
How would I find fair market value? For one of them?
I tried ebay, but all I found was the TM733a it ended for 200$

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Milton

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
These are all old, out of production, radios so I do not know what "mint" in the box means in this case. To me mint means essentially never used, which I would have problems believing.

What's a fair price? Well let's start with being able to get a new dual band Alinco for $340. To me I could not begin to pay more than $170 for a used dual band Alinco. and then I would have to think hard about it. Electronic parts go out of production fairly quickly, so odds are you are buying a radio with a significant number of parts that can not be replaced.

My advice:
- Make you first radio a solid reliable performer. A flaky first radio can quickly sour you on the hobby.
- UHF ability is not "required" that often. I work 10-12 ham radio events a year (bike rides, emergency communications, etc.) and only once ran into an event where you had to have UHF to participate.
- Crossband is neat, but not used that often. I look for situations to use it and can go two years without using it. Also remember that you need the handheld unit to make use of crossband, so that is another expense.
- Remember installation expenses. You will need an antenna and some 8-10 gauge wire too.

So for your first radio get:
** $165 YAESU FT-2900R (75 watts) @ www.hamradio.com
** $29 HUSTLER RX-2 2 METER 5/8 WAVE MAG MOUNT @www.hamradio.com
** $15 ATC Style Fuse Holder 10 GA with Ring Terminals and Powerpoles @www.powerwerx.com
** $28 10 gauge 10 foot Powerpole extension cable @www.powerwerx.com
TOTAL is under $240 for a rocking brand new 2 meter rig that will give you many years of reliable performance.

The "ATC Style Fuse Holder 10 GA with Ring Terminals and Powerpoles" is used to make a power connection off the battery (the only way to connect a ham radio).
The "10 gauge 10 foot Powerpole extension cable" is them used bring the power into the cab to your radio.

Connect up with a local ham club, you'll find someone that can put Anderson Powerpole connectors on the Yaesu. In fact when you call Ham Radio Outlet to order the Yaesu you can probably get them to send it to you with anderson powerpole connectors installed.

Good Luck,
Milton - N5HMJ

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
thanks for all the recommendation

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I took my test and got my General. we will see how long my call will show up :)

Milton

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_cheers:

06_FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yaesu for sure

I used to run all over the state of Missouri during the first week in April for the MO QSO party. I used an Icom 706 for HF, but for 2m/70cm the trusty FT-7800 did a great job. Lots of memories and loud / clear audio. The old 98 Ranger was also equipped with a laptop mount and i had my whole system automated with contesting software. I could also program up either radio using the CAT interface. Most of the contest was spent pushing buttons from inside the cab while parked at some of the most beautiful countryside in the state.
While working the HF I would talk to my buddies back in ST Louis via a rural 2m repeater, which allowed them to log the MO counties I traveled. (along with the thousands of other hams around the country)
The Ft-7800 has a remote head which allows you to put it anywhere in the cab, just like the Icom 706.
I also recommend the FT-8800 if you need crossband repeat. I had one at my house that would crossband my 70cm mobile signal over to a 2meter beam on top my house. The beam pointed at a repeater system some 25 miles away, but I could hear it and be heard perfectly within 10 miles any direction of my house over 70cm.
Good luck. (Try HF mobile contesting if you love to travel from county to county.)

Last edited:

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I used to run all over the state of Missouri during the first week in April for the MO QSO party. I used an Icom 706 for HF, but for 2m/70cm the trusty FT-7800 did a great job. Lots of memories and loud / clear audio. The old 98 Ranger was also equipped with a laptop mount and i had my whole system automated with contesting software. I could also program up either radio using the CAT interface. Most of the contest was spent pushing buttons from inside the cab while parked at some of the most beautiful countryside in the state.
While working the HF I would talk to my buddies back in ST Louis via a rural 2m repeater, which allowed them to log the MO counties I traveled. (along with the thousands of other hams around the country)
The Ft-7800 has a remote head which allows you to put it anywhere in the cab, just like the Icom 706.
I also recommend the FT-8800 if you need crossband repeat. I had one at my house that would crossband my 70cm mobile signal over to a 2meter beam on top my house. The beam pointed at a repeater system some 25 miles away, but I could hear it and be heard perfectly within 10 miles any direction of my house over 70cm.
Good luck. (Try HF mobile contesting if you love to travel from county to county.)
Sounds like lots of fun stuff, but equipment sure adds up fast.
HF really seems to cost the big bucks.

I am hoping to make a Ham fest in June, maybe some deals there :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals