• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing a Camshaft Position Synchro

lorenambrose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have searched all the "Ranger" forums and I can not find any really clear instructions for replacing the CPS. I do have the allignment tool on order.

There are numerous threads detailing the woes of the CPS, but not the replacement. The ones talking about the replacement have no real detail. There is also some conflicting info out there. Some talk about 26* ATDC or TDC. Using the tool or not using the tool. Removing the plugs or not removing the plugs.

So exactly how do you replace the CPS?

lorenambrose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
?????????anyone??????

atlsud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Here is my post from RPS.

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265629

The process was easy. You don't need the tool or need to find TDC if your current synchro is not damaged (missing gears) or if you have not already removed the synchro. I used a camera to record the position of the synchro and the trigger and made sure it was in the same position once the new synchro was seated.

The synchro is a bitch to get to but it is managable. Good luck.

lorenambrose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
Here is my post from RPS.

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265629

The process was easy. You don't need the tool or need to find TDC if your current synchro is not damaged (missing gears) or if you have not already removed the synchro. I used a camera to record the position of the synchro and the trigger and made sure it was in the same position once the new synchro was seated.

The synchro is a bitch to get to but it is managable. Good luck.

My intention is to install this thing as if it were the first time. I want to ensure the timing is right. If the tining is off now due to all the work performed on it then installing it the way it comes out would not help. The CMP is probably in there right, but I am not going to chance it and do this job twice.

As you insert the CMP, does it twist slightly as the gears engage or will it drop straight in?

dorman68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2003 Ford Truck Ranger V6-3.0L
Vehicle Level Powertrain Management Computers and Control Systems Camshaft Position Sensor Service and Repair Camshaft Synchronizer Removal

Camshaft Synchronizer Removal
Notes

NOTE: Ford does not provide a TDC (Top Dead Center) mark or determination procedure for this engine in this vehicle.
ALLDATA users have reported success using aftermarket tools to determine TDC on this engine.

Alignment Gauge, Synchronizer

SPECIAL TOOL(S)

REMOVAL

Rotate the crankshaft until the No.1 cylinder is at Top Dead Center (TDC) of the compression stroke and the TDC mark lines up with the timing mark. CAUTION: Do not turn the crankshaft or the camshaft during the removal and installation procedure or the fuel system timing will be out of time with the engine and possibly cause engine damage.
Remove the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor. NOTE: Prior to the removal of the camshaft position (CMP) sensor, note the position of the CMP sensor electrical connector. The installation procedure requires that the electrical connector be located in the same position.

Remove the bolt.

Remove the camshaft synchronizer. NOTE: The oil pump driveshaft might come out with the camshaft synchronizer. If so, retrieve the oil pump driveshaft before proceeding.
INSTALLATION

Install the special tool on the camshaft synchronizer by rotating the tool until it engages the notch in the camshaft synchronizer housing and the armature. CAUTION:
A special tool must be used during the installation of the new synchronizer assembly. Failure to follow this procedure will result in the fuel system being out of time with the engine, possibly causing engine damage.
It is very important to coat the gear on the camshaft synchronizer with engine oil prior to installation. Failure to do so could result in gear failure.

Install the camshaft synchronizer housing assembly so the arrow on the special tool is 38 degrees from the centerline of the engine. NOTE: During installation, the arrow on the special tool will rotate clockwise until the oil pump intermediate shaft and the camshaft gear engages.

Install the bolt.
Install the camshaft position (CMP) sensor.

atlsud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My intention is to install this thing as if it were the first time. I want to ensure the timing is right. If the tining is off now due to all the work performed on it then installing it the way it comes out would not help. The CMP is probably in there right, but I am not going to chance it and do this job twice.

As you insert the CMP, does it twist slightly as the gears engage or will it drop straight in?
Take a photo before taking the synchro out. The trigger does rotate counterclockwise as it comes out. I set the trigger in the similar position on the new synchro. As I place it in, the gears engage and turn the trigger clockwise. It took me a few times re-setting the trigger and seating the synchro to get it right.

Here is a pic I took before I took it out.

If your truck is running fine now, it is safe to say that your timing is fine as well. Good luck with your replacement.

FYI I used genuine Motorcraft parts so I should be good for another 100K.

Last edited:

lorenambrose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks.....One question though. If I remove all the plugs, I would think the engine would be very easy to turn over. Would this be correct?

atlsud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks.....One question though. If I remove all the plugs, I would think the engine would be very easy to turn over. Would this be correct?
Put it in neutral.

lorenambrose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
How long would it take a mechanic to do this? I can not buy the tool. They are on backorder everywhere. I no not feel like waiting. So I guess I have no chioce but to pay someone to install it.

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
You DO NOT need the tool I did mine myself for the first time ever and didn't use the tool and I got it the first try, its not even a tool its a dumb little piece of plastic with an arrow on it. I know there is info out there on this site, I have explained in detail four or five times to different people and I found the info on how to do it on this site so I know its there you just have to sift through the BS for awhile. I found the best write up in the middle of an 8 page discussion its the one I used. Do your research and do it yourself its an easy job and you will realize it when its over, use the 200 dollars that you would have spent on a shop to do some fun stuff with the truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals