• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 intake manifold and carb options?

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mark, that is the underside of the 2.0 round port 2bbl intake (the aluminum looks nice after it's been glass beadded doen't it).

chilsam, the fuel injectors shoot the fuel right at the intake valve when it's open in a very fine mist so the intake runners don't need to be heated. The computer simply gives it more, or less fuel from the information sent from all the sensors (water temp, air temp, throttle position, etc).

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Knowledge

Mark, that is the underside of the 2.0 round port 2bbl intake (the aluminum looks nice after it's been glass beadded doen't it).

chilsam, the fuel injectors shoot the fuel right at the intake valve when it's open in a very fine mist so the intake runners don't need to be heated. The computer simply gives it more, or less fuel from the information sent from all the sensors (water temp, air temp, throttle position, etc).
Is Power!:icon_thumby:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes...might have mine done some day...I know it's aluminum...

We've been tossing around the idea here lately about disconnecting the hose to the intake because it has the reverse effect on performance in warm weather as opposed to smooth running in the winter. I think upinsmoke was going to go ahead with it but not sure if he has accomplished that yet...

Do you have any experience with that particular mod either from personal or knowing someone who has done it? I would imagine that racing would be a whole different ball of wax from a street/DD application...and I know my truck runs rough until the engine has warmed up...

I have recently installed a block heater and it makes a huge difference on startup...my truck simply won't start if the temperature drops below -10 without the block heater...

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Hot water from head?

Yes...might have mine done some day...I know it's aluminum...

We've been tossing around the idea here lately about disconnecting the hose to the intake because it has the reverse effect on performance in warm weather as opposed to smooth running in the winter. I think upinsmoke was going to go ahead with it but not sure if he has accomplished that yet...

Do you have any experience with that particular mod either from personal or knowing someone who has done it? I would imagine that racing would be a whole different ball of wax from a street/DD application...and I know my truck runs rough until the engine has warmed up...

I have recently installed a block heater and it makes a huge difference on startup...my truck simply won't start if the temperature drops below -10 without the block heater...
to eliminate the hot water wouldn't you have to also make a block off plate for the coolant passage from head to intake? It seems to me unhooking the hose would raise the temp:icon_confused:

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes,with the carb on your 88 ,you would want to keep your water going thur the manifold to help starts.You must have something in your choke circuit to hinder starts as they usually start pretty good with a carb abit of black smoke from a over abundance of fuel(isn't EFI wonderful)from cold start carbs.The block heater is a good idea,saves on cranking over thick cold oil and like you said,starts better.For what lttle bit it hurts performance from warm water,it just isn't worth it to block it off.

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mark, chilsam, I haven't tried blocking off the water to the regular 2.3 intake during the warm months. Idealy you would need to pull the intake, and put a thin piece of stanless steel between the intake gasket, and the intake manifold at the water passage to keep any hot water out of the intake (along with removing the heater hose from the intake). Personally I just don't think it's worth doing on a daily driver, but it would be good to do if you were doing some sort of racing to get every ounce of power you can. If your daily driver had a set of forged pistons, a 50-75 hp nitrous kit would do the trick :D .

On another note I had a 72 Pinto with the EAO 2.0 S.O.H.C. engine with a pair of 45 DCOE Weber carbs, with the very short intake runners it had it didn't need any water in the winter months.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Nice!

Where did you get the chrome valve cover?:dunno:

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My sisters ex-husband chromed it for me where he worked making custom high-end lighting fixtures.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey Kenneth, or anyone, can you give the number for the rochester 2 bbl that fits the OMC d-port intake. also like the idea of the 350 Holley on it, but wouldn't know how to make an adapter. Maybe someone has one for sale?
Maybe a list of carbs that will fit would be good?

Thanks Drew for letting go of your intake for me!

John Smith

Reaction score
I actually have one...

If you are interested...It's a Rochester 2GC you can pm me I actually have the carb, and the OMC Cobra spark arrester air.cleaner..

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes,with the carb on your 88 ,you would want to keep your water going thur the manifold to help starts.You must have something in your choke circuit to hinder starts as they usually start pretty good with a carb abit of black smoke from a over abundance of fuel(isn't EFI wonderful)from cold start carbs.The block heater is a good idea,saves on cranking over thick cold oil and like you said,starts better.For what lttle bit it hurts performance from warm water,it just isn't worth it to block it off.
Mark, chilsam, I haven't tried blocking off the water to the regular 2.3 intake during the warm months. Idealy you would need to pull the intake, and put a thin piece of stanless steel between the intake gasket, and the intake manifold at the water passage to keep any hot water out of the intake (along with removing the heater hose from the intake). Personally I just don't think it's worth doing on a daily driver, but it would be good to do if you were doing some sort of racing to get every ounce of power you can. If your daily driver had a set of forged pistons, a 50-75 hp nitrous kit would do the trick :D .

On another note I had a 72 Pinto with the EAO 2.0 S.O.H.C. engine with a pair of 45 DCOE Weber carbs, with the very short intake runners it had it didn't need any water in the winter months.

It's been pretty warm lately but I've been plugging in the block heater when it dips to around freezing...starts usually first crank.

My current carb has never had a choke and has not needed one. I was parking it inside a garage when I was driving it five or six years ago but since have been parking outside (due to my moving away from the garage). Last winter I didn't have the block heater and starting was extremely difficult...it was much colder last year winter though...fried one battery last winter.

As for the hot water to the intake...upnsmoke was looking into doing it and I was considering it...but...it wouldn't be too much to undo it for the winter months...still...it does make a difference in my truck because the engine runs rough until it is properly warmed up...and I'm pretty sure that the carb would be affected because I can't see anything else that would cause rough running.

Thanks for the input...

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Drew- I got the intake. Thanks buddy! Now to find the carb....

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Wouldn't by chance

My sisters ex-husband chromed it for me where he worked making custom high-end lighting fixtures.
still get along with em EH? :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals