• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DIY: Ford Ranger Double DIN Install

TheTwanksta

09/12 07/13 STOTM
Article Contributor
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I created this article for my build thread and figured I would go ahead and make a thread for those looking to do their own install as well. This was the first time I have ever installed my own radio, but Im not a complete newb when it comes to overall car mechanics. The install was actually fairly easy after gathering all the info I needed from various ranger and audio forums. After a few days of research and viewing sveral other members installs, the American International dash kit seemed like the best kit. I believe its the only one that allows for a "flush" mount installation out of the three major kits (AI, Metra, Scosche).

Parts Need For Double Din / Navigation Installation:
American International FM-K552 Dash Kit - Double Din Dash Kit

Metra 70-1771 Wiring Harness - To Connect your factory 98-up Ranger harness to the Pioneer harness.

Scosche DIN Factory Radio Removal Tool - Not necessary, but recommended to remove factory radio.

Dremel W/ Various Bits - To cut your bezel to allow for double DIN to slide in. I actually bought a $10 off-brand kit from Harbor Freight. It was way under-powered, but it got the job done. Took about 30 minutes to complete mine. If you have a real Dremel, it will go MUCH faster for you.

Pioneer F90BT w/ Back-Up Camera & iPod Cable

This is my Stock Double DIN MP3 Radio

I used the Metra radio removal tool to get my stock unit out. These arent necessary, but they sure made is VERY easy!

Stock Radio Removed from Bezel

You have to do some trimming to the bezel for most aftermarket double DINs to fit. Simply remove the two screws shown, and the whole thing pops out pretty easily. I found it easier to pull from the top near the AC vents.

To fit the new head unit, you will need to trim the top and bottom ridges as shown below. DO NOT trim the vertical sides of the bezel opening, the dash kit uses these to clip in.

I was extra precautious, so I used 3m tape to protect the surround from getting scratched or gouged by the dremel.

After using a dremel tool, this is the finished product and what yours should look like before you can install the new head unit.

The American International Dash Kit was very straight forward. Just attach the two side pieces to the unit with the supplied screws. Then slide it into the bezel until it "clicks" into place. You have some adjustability with this kit, I preferred the "flush" look. Once you get the desired look, tighten everything down and snap the trim surround piece over the front and your done!

Then you will need to take the supplied head unit harness and match it up with the Metra harness made for your vehicle. At this time, I hardwired the video "bypass" so I could have full functions while driving also.
For the Pioneer "F" Series, you just need to move the mute wire pin in the harness, and then ground it with the green wire. I used the following diagram to bypass my Pionner unit.
AVIC "F" Series Bypass (Picture Guide) - CLICK HERE

*Before you put everything back in the truck, you will need to run the GPS Antenna, Bluetooth Mic, Reverse Camera, iPod hookups, etc.

I did not want to run any wires outside of the truck(nor put the magnet on my paint), so I decided to mount the GPS antenna on the dash near the defrost vents. The black defrost trim simply snaps up and then you can feed the wire through the dash to the head unit. I am very happy with the location and on the way home and even in my garage I had full GPS signal.

Next I ran the Bluetooth Mic up to the sun visor. I removed the visor to run the wire through the headliner, then down the A-pillar(behind the trim), through the defrost trim just like the GPS and finally through the dash to the head unit. You cant any wires at all except where it comes out in the visor.

I got my head unit used and it was missing the mic clip, so I just let the visor hold it for now.

Next I ran the iPod hookups to the glove box.

I then plugged in all the wires and re-installed the bezel. Here is the finished product!

I added a little custom touch to the start up screen to give it a little more "OEM" feel.. This is the loading screen in all the new Ford vehicles with "Sync". :D

You can also adjust the illumination of the head unit to match the rest of your factory controls and cluster. So I made mine green to match the rest of my displays.

Playing through the iPod with full control from the head unit.

And GPS.

Last edited:

TheTwanksta

09/12 07/13 STOTM
Article Contributor
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I still need to run a wire to the VSS sensor and reverse signal, but ran out of time and had to do some research to find the location of these wires. Someone correct me if I am wrong but this is what I have found:

Ford Ranger Vehicle Speed Sensor(VSS) Wire:
There is a GEM harness right behind the radio with a grey/black wire in it for VSS.
OR
There is a wire coming out of the pcm under the hood, also grey/black for VSS.

Ford Ranger Reverse Signal Wire:
The Reverse signal Wire is located above the fuse box kick plate on the passenger's side under the glove box. It is Green w/ Yellow Stripe.

Last edited:

TheTwanksta

09/12 07/13 STOTM
Article Contributor
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

Hooligan2c

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Great work, great write up!!

TheTwanksta

09/12 07/13 STOTM
Article Contributor
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Great work, great write up!!
Thanks, hopefully it will be useful for other members on the fence about doing their own double DIN.

TheTwanksta

09/12 07/13 STOTM
Article Contributor
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
It makes it even more satisfying knowing that I also installed it and it turned out as well as it did. I could only imagine what an audio shop would have done to my poor STX bezel! It only cost me about $35 for the dash kit, radio tool, wiring harness and the dremel kit.

The complete install from start to finish took me about 4 hours since I had never done anything like it before. Most of that time was spent trimming the bezel, had I owned a real Dremel tool with more power, I could have cut that in half. Once it was installed, I played around with the settings and EQ's for about an hour and made sure everything was working correctly.

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
That actually looks pretty darn good if i do say so myself. If i had any kind of money (heck ill even take Monopoly money) I'd be all over one of those head units

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
It makes it even more satisfying knowing that I also installed it and it turned out as well as it did. I could only imagine what an audio shop would have done to my poor STX bezel!
I've had bad luck with people working on my vehicles..... most notably audio/alarm shops. This is why I seldom take a vehicle anywhere.

I really like your install job. I wouldn't mind having a double din in the F150 someday.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Awesome job... how much did the HU run you?

TheTwanksta

09/12 07/13 STOTM
Article Contributor
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Awesome job... how much did the HU run you?
Thanks! I am a professional detailer,I specialize in paint correction. I had a guy contact me for a detail and it was a little out of his reach. Then he brought up the HU and we ended up working out a deal for a straight trade. I spent 13 hours on his car and took home the HU! This specific one can be picked up for about 500 now though I think.

Sent from my computer phone.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Very similar to mine. Nice right up though.

AmericanPride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do you have an iphone, or ever plan to get one? If you do I would suggest moving your cable to floor console. I'm a MECP Installer and I get asked a lot for it not in the box. Before everybody had iPhones they wanted in the box. Now it's "out of sight, out of mind"...people flip out these days if they left their phone in the car. "OMG! My iPhone! I might have a heart attack"...those kind of people, that's right...the ones you wish you could punch in the head.

Anyway...started ranting there.

That's what I would have done if the customer requested I use the kit. Rather than charge a customer the $20-$40 for a dash kit, I would charge a $5-$10 materials charge and use some ABS and backstraps. Obviously not something an average guy can do. Tools and techniques similar though.

If you've got any questions for the Pro just ask. Nice work

TheTwanksta

09/12 07/13 STOTM
Article Contributor
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
No, I dont use an iphone(and dont plan to get one, whole different topic there haha), so not completely necessary to have the ipod accessible. If the world freezes over and I go to an iPhone, Ill move the cable to the center console, Thanks for the tips! :icon_cheers:

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome write up, this is exactly what I want to do with my truck. I like the clean look of the double DIN, It makes it look factory.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals