View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
Will
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle Make: Toyota
Vehicle Model: FJ Cruiser
I use this vehicle for: When I can't ride a motorcycle.
Will has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud of

Stroke means nothing when you are talking torque. I know lots of people think it does. The only important thing is how much fuel you can burn in a single combustion. Stroke doesn't help that, only displacement and airflow efficiency matters on a naturally aspirated gas motor.

What stroke does do is increase the airspeed at lower rpms, which helps fill the cylinder more quickly at low engine speeds. That's great for a truck motor like a 300-6, or a 5.4 or a 6.8. Stroke is not about leverage, it's about controlling piston speed. Most of the push of the piston is done near the top of the combustion chamber. A short stroke with a long rod would be the best at getting good leverage on the crank.

A stroker kit is good for adding displacement when you are out of room to overbore.

The 4.6 in the 2009 Mustang makes 1.14 ft# per cubic inch--as installed in the car. If you are going to take a 40 year-old technology and think you can come close to that, you are greatly mistaken. And that would only be 340ft#. The best the fuel injected 300 did was .88ft# per inch as installed, and the carbed ones were around .75 per inch.

'07 FJ Cruiser

'09 Mazdaspeed

'14 Ninja 1000
Will is offline   Reply With Quote