• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4R44E Help - Valve Body?

ihatemybike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Back in 2000 my wife bought a 1997 Ranger, nice truck treated her well. Last year we sold it to a friend and we've been teaching them basic maintenance on it. Last week while performing a trans service when I wasn't watching this friend broke the bolt that holds the filter in the valve body. It's driving us nut trying to get it back out. I'm thinking about pulling the valve body so we can use my drill press on this bolt and finally get an extractor to work on it. Problem is I can't find any instructions on 4R44E valve body removal. I don't want springs or balls or anything flying away. Anybody have suggestions or know where I can find good instructions online?

Last edited:

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The bolt for the filter goes all the way thru valve body into the case, once you pull valve body bolt should easily come out. Pulling the valve body not to bad, there is nothing that will come flying out at you or that can be lost. There is 4 different length bolts in valve body so pay close attention to them, you will have to also remove reverse servo cover in which servo may have a spring under it and it will come out no biggie though.

Torque on valve body bolts is about 100 inch pounds and it is imperative(at least to me)that bolts be torqued properly since the valve body is aluminum.

Good luck

Last edited:

ihatemybike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
OK, confidence is rising. There are a lot of bolt heads, do these all have to come out?

Would still love an exploded view. I wonder if the Library has the Mitchell's.

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
OK, confidence is rising. There are a lot of bolt heads, do these all have to come out?
Yep all them 10 mm head bolts have to com out..except for the silver colored ones and they just hold the brackets that that retain the solenoids.

ihatemybike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Fail!

Well, I pulled 30 bolts and removed the broken filter bolt. Then put everything back the way I found it, or so I thought. I guess I messed something up, cause now reverse and neutral cause the truck to go forward.

What did I do wrong? :icon_confused:

ihatemybike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic

RANGER 07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I´m going to go out on a limb on this one , I'm not an expert on tranny's I 'm still learning , but could it be ..?, you messed up the DTR sensor when installing ? a.k.a as the Manual Lever Position Sensor ,(mlps), this one should be installed/disinstalled on neutral
with the neutral mark , on the inside ring , coinciding with the outer ring , and the internal ridges of it go aligned withthe keyways on the shaft.hope this helps !!

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
You probably missed the manual valve into the shift linkage.

mfp4073

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, its probably the main selector valve. There is a spot for the selector shaft to go into.

the manual valve is on the bottom, just to the left of the solenoid with the * on it. The shaft has to go in that first groove closest to the end of the valve.

Does anyone have a better pic? I dont think I am helping.

mfp4073

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I dont see it listed, but that is fordboys writeup.. the image that will help describe what I am talking about is here:

ihatemybike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Excellent, I'll drop the pan again tonight. Hopefully that will get it fixed and I can have my spot on the driveway back.

ihatemybike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
its probably the main selector valve. There is a spot for the selector shaft to go into.
Thanks everyone soooo much! I just got done fixing it and this is exactly what it was. Took it out for a test drive and it works great.
:headbang:

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4

rober546

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
looking at the pic of the valve body the first solenoid is the epc solenoid the two after what are they i know the last of the four is tcc solenoid the other two on the other side what are they i have delayed shifting which one do i need to change the late shifting is thru all gears including reverse. i found a 2001 ranger trans will this be the same as my 1995 trans or the years too far apart

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals