• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wellsville oh. May be closing

huntin_muddin_91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0/302 v8
Transmission
Manual
Yup another one down the shidder was there last weekend still open but clean coal bullshit company may be buyin it just figured any one that goes there might wanna check this out www.wellsvilletrails.com work on trucks not computers link prob wont work but type it in your browser its in the forums in the rumer central catagorie...just cant win!

joshnlsn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
This has been talked about for years. I sure hope it's not really gonna happen!!!!!

huntin_muddin_91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0/302 v8
Transmission
Manual
yea me to but some amish guy bought forbidden zone few weeks ago and supposedly oak tree is goin to coal company on first of the year guess we find out next spring

93 Ohio Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wellsville will never close. I go there frequently with my buddy that has an obsession to take hid bike up the biggest hills and nastiest hills he can find. They can try and block it off but people will still ride. They have said the same about hillsville. We still ride there and have NEVER been hassled about it.

joshnlsn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey, 93 Ranger. I have been going to Hillsville for over 28 years. And i spend alot of time there. There have been plenty of years that the police have cracked down on people there. My point is Never say Never. If they want to keep people away they will.

93 Ohio Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, 93 Ranger. I have been going to Hillsville for over 28 years. And i spend alot of time there. There have been plenty of years that the police have cracked down on people there. My point is Never say Never. If they want to keep people away they will.
I have heard rumors of the cops having cj7's with 383 strokers out there. But i spent one summer day out there and nothing same with a couple other days. I just dont know it too good yet. Ive heard rumors that a trail back there leads all the way to bessemer pa?

joshnlsn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Yea there are trails that go to bessemer.

huntin_muddin_91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0/302 v8
Transmission
Manual
they supposed to level a good part in spring ive heard the same rumors for years to but these ones are gettin a lil more in the press. guess ill give it hell till they chase me out n find a new spot to ride?

joshnlsn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
they supposed to level a good part in spring ive heard the same rumors for years to but these ones are gettin a lil more in the press. guess ill give it hell till they chase me out n find a new spot to ride?
Come to Hillsville... Good for Trucks,buggys,dirtbikes, and anything else you can ride.

huntin_muddin_91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0/302 v8
Transmission
Manual
aint been there since i was probly twelve q#1 is there any were to park a few hualing rigs and trailers Q#2 they gonna chase me out or tow my shit at all? Q#3 gonna need directions wasn aloud to drive wen i was twelve i got gps so if you could get me a local addy sure i can figure it from there Thanks for the help. i really dont wanna get stuck goin to yankee lake for a little fun!!!

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
if wellsville closes idk what i would do. it would be like loosing a leg. i hope that doesnt happen. hopefully that old guy doesnt sell it. and hillsville is like 5.5 hours from columbus, oh and wellsville is only 3 hours.... attica/badlands is only 4 hours. and when you are driving your rig there and getting 14 mpg i will take w/e is closest lol

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
did a little research on the wellsville forum.... i think some of us will like this info

A recently published report has cast some doubt into the massive coal to liquid energy project Columbiana County.
Baard Energy plans a coal conversion plant in Wellsville. The $6.5 billion project is so large that its economic impact would be felt here in Trumbull County.
But the Columbus Dispatch late last month uncovered some disturbing information about the future of Baard's proposal. Here are some of the basics from the Dispatch report:
- The state spent $800,000, including $175,000 to buy property from a landowner later convicted of running a methamphetamine lab there, yet after four years, the project is not yet under way. This has caused some misgivings among movers and shakers in state government.
- An engineering company sued Baard for failing to pay a $155,000 bill.
- Two attorneys stopped representing Baard because the company did not pay their fees.
- Seventeen coal conversion plants have been proposed in 10 states, but none has been built.
A significant breakthrough occurred recently when a Florida investment company pledged $2.5 billion to get the Baard project through its first of three phases. Since financing is a critical element, a long-term military commitment, secured with the help of U.S. Rep. Tim Ryan, D-Niles, and U.S. Rep-elect Bill Johnson, a Republican who will represent Columbiana County and parts of Mahoning, would whet the appetites of more investors.
The economic impact from a military commitment could be large in the Mahoning Valley and a game changer for Columbiana County. At its peak, the plant would convert seven million tons of coal per year to 35,000 barrels of ultra-clean diesel and jet fuel per day under a 24/7 operation. The plant would create hundreds of temporary construction jobs then hundreds of permanent jobs, including a vast support network in sectors such as the transportation industry.
There are many indications that a military commitment would be well justified, especially in terms of alleviating dependence on foreign oil.
The Gasification Technologies Council, created in 1995 and based in Arlington, Va., claims, ''Gasification offers the cleanest, most efficient method available to produce synthesis gas (also known as syngas) from low or negative value carbon-based feedstocks such as coal, petroleum coke, high-sulfur fuel oil or materials that would otherwise be disposed of as waste. The gas can be used in place of natural gas to generate electricity, or as a basic raw material to produce chemicals and liquid fuels.''
The National Research Council, an arm of the National Academy of Sciences, has concluded that the U.S. has enough coal at current rates of consumption to meet needs through 2030, probably for 100 years and maybe even for 250 years.
The negative report from the Dispatch is a stinger for many leaders who have hopes that the coal project will blossom. Hopefully, Baard and local leaders work through the problems and complete this incredibly vast economic development project.

CLEVELAND — Baard Energy’s claims that it has lined up financing for its coal refinery in Columbiana County are highly questionable, based on an analysis of the timeline of recent events:
September 20 – Columbiana County Port Authority Director Tracy Drake reports that the Ohio Department of Development is likely to grant a three-month extension, to the end of the year, of a $4.5 million state loan for acquisition of the property for the coal refinery.
Week of September 21 – Wellsville Chamber of Commerce announces that Baard Energy CEO John Baardson will be the keynote speaker at their annual dinner on October 23 and will report to the community on the progress of his project.
September 27 – U.S. District Court in Cincinnati rules that Baard Energy has defaulted on over $220,000 owed to CH2MHill for consulting work on the coal refinery project.
October 4—Christopher Jones, former head of Ohio EPA, who had been hired by Baard in July after another law firm dropped the case, abruptly withdraws as Baard’s attorney at the Environmental Review Appeals Commission (ERAC). Baardson later admits to the Columbus Dispatch that the attorneys withdrew because he couldn’t pay them.
October 6 – Ohio Attorney General, representing Ohio EPA, asks ERAC for extension of the permit hearing schedule and states, “Due to the abrupt withdrawal of counsel, the status of the permit and the underlying need for the permit are unknown.”
October 6 – Ohio Department of Development sends Port Authority a letter extending the loan, not three months, but to October 31, saying “the closing date will not be further extended.”
October 18 – Columbiana County Port Authority Director Tracy Drake announces that Baard has a new investor, Planck Trading LLC, who will pay the required $220,000 to extend the purchase options on the property (which had expired on September 30), and that the Port Authority was entering into an agreement with Planck to buy the land “over the next year.” The agreement did not require Planck to purchase the land. Drake says the Port Authority will forgo the $4.5 million state loan/grant for the Baard project and ask the state to apply it to another local project.
October 23 – Baard Energy CEO John Baardson tells the Wellsville Chamber of Commerce that he has secured a commitment of $2.5 billion in investment and that he plans to start purchasing land in two weeks and begin construction in the spring.
Press coverage of the event features Baard supporters U.S. Congressman Charlie Wilson, and State Rep. Linda Bolon, who are in tough re-election campaigns, front and center.
October 25 – Baard misses an ERAC deadline to come up with a new legal counsel to replace Christopher Jones to defend the critically important air pollution permit (as of November 5, Baard has still not come up with an attorney)
November 2 – Governor Ted Strickland, Rep. Charlie Wilson, and Rep. Linda Bolon all lose their bids for re-election
It’s just common sense, and common practice, that if Mr. Baardson knew in late September or early October that he had an investor who was prepared to spend “$2.5 billion” on the project, or even the $5 million to acquire the land for the project, he would have been able to convince his attorney, Christopher Jones, former head of Ohio EPA, to remain on the case. The project will not be able to move forward if the air permit has expired, as attorneys for Natural Resources Defense Council and Sierra Club are contending in the legal case.
Mr. Baardson and Mr. Drake announced in mid-October that they would let the state loan expire. Of course, they had already been told it would expire by October 31 if Baard didn’t come up with financing by then. Since the state loan would have converted to a grant if a certain number of construction jobs were created, it seems quite unusual that either the Port Authority or Baard Energy would want to turn down $4.5 million in “free” taxpayer money. Perhaps they were just putting a good face on the fact that they were unable to meet the loan requirements. If Mr. Baardson really had funding lined up by October 23, wouldn’t he or his investors want to save $4.5 million?
One possible explanation for recent events is that Mr. Baardson does not intend to build a coal refinery, but may intend to build something else—perhaps a natural gas plant—on the land in question. If so, he wouldn’t need the coal refinery air permit and he might need much less land than would be required for a coal refinery. The timing of his Wellsville Chamber of Commerce appearance certainly seems to have been geared toward bolstering the re-election campaigns of Baard’s staunch supporters, but that effort was unsuccessful.
— Sandy Buchanan, Executive Director, Ohio Citizen Action

CINCINNATI — Contractor CH2MHill has filed with the U.S. District Court in Cincinnati a plaintiff’s motion and affidavit for default judgment seeking $229,466.75 from Baard Energy. The contractor is suing for payment of bills dating back to 2008, for work performed on the proposed coal refinery in Wellsville, Ohio, known as the “Ohio River Clean Fuels” facility. Ohio River Clean Fuels is wholly owned by Baard Energy. Baard has not responded to the substance of the case and has not filed to have an attorney represent it. The Court has already found Baard to be in default. Baard has a court deadline of December 27 to respond to CH2MHill’s motion. Sandy Buchanan, Executive Director of Ohio Citizen Action, said today, “Baard Energy announced in October that it finally found financial backers, including Planck Trading in Boca Raton, Florida, and another undisclosed investor. If so, why hasn’t it paid this debt to CH2MHill, hired a lawyer to dispute the debt, or even responded to any of the filings in this case?”
— Paul Ryder, Organizing Director, Ohio Citizen Action

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I use to go down there, but I stopped inviting people because of all this crap. I don't want people to drive several hours and then get hassled or turned away. I wish it would go back to the way it was.

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
you dont get hassled. you roll up. pay the old man there and enjoy the weekend. i am going in may for sure. first time since i fixed my truck with gears and lockers :). but we had 0 issues back in july

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Where you going, Oak Tree?

I miss the days when you went over the tracks any time day or night.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals