• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing a 27ft camper....

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If my credit goes through ill be the owner of a brand new 2012 27 ft travel trailer.

I guess the trailer weighs about 6500-7000lbs. Im planning on towing it with a 1977 F250 Camper special with a Stock 400 (that runs like new) and a Auto trans.....im getting a new trailer brake controller along with the camper...heres my question...

I dont forsee needing sway control...but do you think it might be nesacary? Also...do you think the stock frame mounted hitch will be ok with the weight? Its the weight distribution type, frame mounted, and looks as solid as the day it was put on....

Im not to worried about the truck actually pulling it, other the the fact it has 3.07 gears i think it will do just fine, its rated for 9,000 i belive. Plus being the camper special it has all the oil and trans coolers along with the heaiver alternator.

Any tips or help will be appreciated.

later,
Dustin

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A WD hitch will help it handle better. Yes, you could get by without it, but they're about 400 bucks, and just make towing that much better. Many times a WD hitch helps prevent sway by itself.

krazyafterall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I think you'll be fine. it it does sway you can just let off the throttle and it will more often than no stop swaying. plus a lot of new brake controlers have an anti sway function on them

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think you'll be fine. it it does sway you can just let off the throttle and it will more often than no stop swaying. plus a lot of new brake controlers have an anti sway function on them
If it's swaying the trailer is loaded incorrectly. I don't know what anti-sway function a brake controller would have.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Ditto on a good WD hitch set up properly.

I tow a 30ft 2012 Prowler Shadow Edition travel trailer with my 08 Superduty. The trailer weighs in at 7900lbs dry weight.

I use a Husky Centerline WD hitch that has a built in sway control, it is an awesome hitch.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I bought sway control and the whole setup off craigslist for 250 bucks, it didnt handle it bad but it did get a lil hairy in a crosswind....i havent got it hooked up yet but will shortly.

One more question....is a tranny cooler nessacary on a C6?

I have the tekonsha "voyager" brake controller.

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I would put an extra cooler on it for sure.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Oh yeah.......... i would run the one raptor transmission sells with the fan and temp guage....... or find one from a 6.0l powerstroke..... although that might be overkill...... if I were you I would consider a manual swap or an E4OD (so you have torque converter lock up capabilities) ....... I would definetly get a trans temp guage though.

I like the voyager brake controller...... I used to haul a 23,000 pound boat with a 2000 International 9400 and thats what I used for the brake controler..... its also what i got in my dually.

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
An easier way to hook up the chains for the weight distribution set up is to have the trailer hooked to the ball of hitch, THEN raise the front of trailer with trailer tongue jack. This takes the pressure off of the chains & allows you to have them tighter & make the truck/trailer more level.

What size tires are you running on the truck?

May want to regear to a 3.54 or 3.73.

3.54should be fine for both towing & fuel economy. 3.73 better for hauling & towing ,but will effect your fuel economy much more.

My mom & dad had a 24 ft 1972 Prowler trailer that they bought brand new & in 74, Dad bought a new Dodge truck 1/2 ton & it had 3.23 gears. He had the 440 engine & A/T. Truck alone he got 14-16mpg, pulling the trailer it dropped down to 12mpg.

Around 86 some ass ran a stop sign & T-boned the bed of the truck & also bent the rear end. We located a 3/4 frame & running gear & swapped all the front & rear suspension & that gave him a Dana 60 with 4.10 gears.

Now he could pull or haul damn near anything & had the power to do so,BUT he then got 9-10 mpg empty or pulling to hauling.

Tire size makes a difference as he went from 29" to 33" & he then was getting 13mpg truck alone.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
It just has the stock tires on it. I can actually get away from a stop with it pretty quick even with the 3.07's, on steep hills i can still keep 45-50 without to much trouble.

Ill put a cooler on it, never towed that much with an automatic so im just a lil nervous about it. I would use my 78 1 ton to pull it around (its a lot more capable being a Dually with 4.30 gears and a 4sp :) ) but the ol lady desnt like it that much.

later,
Dustin

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I'll sell you my dually....... it rides like a starship....... well it did before I got the bags.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The C6 is physically strong but the shifting is garbage. I'd recommend letting off a little before it shifts to reduce the shock load while towing. Basically it releases a band and then quickly grabs a clutch as opposed to grabbing the clutch with the band engaged and then releasing the band. There's nothing you can do about the converter heat unless you swap in the E40D and then set up a way to manual control the converter clutch. I'd just make sure the rpms were up near peak hp on hills. Torque makes heat and heat kills. Holding it in second and letting the rpms do the work will mean a much easier life for the tranny and cooling system. The current tranny cooler is in the radiator and if the engine is running easier the tranny will be cooler too. I've never put an auxiliary tranny cooler on anything, I just don't beat on it.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I bought the biggest cooler o reileys had, its designed for over 10,000 lbs :)

Still havent got the sway control hooked up....definatly need it though....thanks for the tips on the C6 though will, it seems to be ok but im going to put the cooler on it anyways...

heres a question....with a trans cooler will it let the engine run cooler cause the radiator isnt trying to eat up the heat from the engine and trans?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals