• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My backyard build (56K warning)

RANGERROD

November 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet build pretty similar to mine. Ive seen the trannys break like that when the crossmember or motor mounts arnt mounted in a similar manner. Like stock rubber motor mounts and stiff poly tranny mount transmission mount. Good luck!

jhammel85

Wow that's a huge break! What's next? Another auto or will you swap for a 5 spd?

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet build pretty similar to mine. Ive seen the trannys break like that when the crossmember or motor mounts arnt mounted in a similar manner. Like stock rubber motor mounts and stiff poly tranny mount transmission mount. Good luck!
The motor mounts are new and the transmount and crossmember is fine and bolted in solid. I will try replacing the rubber mount as a precaution tho thanks for the tip. The only thing I could think to do is to build a cage around the transmission like an exo-skeleton. But thats a little extreme for a stock engine setup.

Wow that's a huge break! What's next? Another auto or will you swap for a 5 spd?
Another auto. I just happen to have another AOD in the garage that I bought for the throttle valve cable and brackets for $60. Im glad I held onto it instead of scrap it. If it breaks again I will go to a mazda trans from an f-150.

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Broke another 2 bell housings and the only thing left to blame now is the driveshaft.

So. Now that the ranger has sufficiently pissed me off... Its time to gut it! I never thought that I would be able to do it. But I think I am going to break it down and tear it apart after all that work!

I picked up a 2003 Sport Trac that I am going to swap the axles and such into. I am undecided if I want to swap the 5.0 into it also. Or get the ODB2 system and engine from an explorer. For now I need to clean the new truck and get the tree branch dent out of the roof.

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ranger replacement... Sport Trac Stealth Edition

haha

and this is the day after i picked it up...

tags: matte black sport trac, vinyl wrap, flat black wrap

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If anyone is still watching this... the ranger replacement is almost fully wrapped in matte black vinyl. Its looking great!

jhammel85

That looks really good! I think that's the 1st time that i've ever seen that done on a Sport Trac.

Did you spray it yourself?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals