• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

brake light/rear antilock light on

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced in the sensor in the rear diff but have been trying to figure out where everything else is at to at least disconnect it and reconnect it to see if it's just a connection issue.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't know if this wil help ya'll but I just installed an 8.8 in my 87 this weekend and put all new brake lines on it. My brake fluid was way nasty so while I was bleeding the brakes I replaced the fluid and bled all 4 wheels till I got clear fluid on all 4 corners. My RABS light is no longer on but I have not driven the truck any distance yet, just to turn it around for the front lift kit so it may come back but I'm hoping not. But the fluid that came out was black as night and cruddy. I also had to replace a bleeder valve on the right front as it would not pass fluid at all. Hope this helps.:dntknw:

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Will try with the connector on the frame rail under the driver's side. Plus will try with the brake fluid this week as I'm gonna throw new shoes at it with self adjuster kit. Bugs me everytime I see it come on once I hit 40 mph.

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Plus where is the abs module? It says for 89-90 B2s, It's located in the dash under IP Panel mount on a brace, center of panel area. Any ideas exactly?

Don't know if this wil help ya'll but I just installed an 8.8 in my 87 this weekend and put all new brake lines on it. My brake fluid was way nasty so while I was bleeding the brakes I replaced the fluid and bled all 4 wheels till I got clear fluid on all 4 corners. My RABS light is no longer on but I have not driven the truck any distance yet, just to turn it around for the front lift kit so it may come back but I'm hoping not. But the fluid that came out was black as night and cruddy. I also had to replace a bleeder valve on the right front as it would not pass fluid at all. Hope this helps.:dntknw:

The fluid coming from the back brakes looked good, but when bleeding the front ones it was kinda dirty and nasty. How long did it take you to bleed til it was all clear? Went and drove it afterwards and still got Anti-Rear lock light once I hit 40mph. This is getting annoying. I think ABS Module is next

Last edited:

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ohhh I hate quick TRS times me out!!!! Let's see if I can recall what I wrote.

Okay, I was lamenting wrenching all weekend when the weather was just gorgeous, oh well...

On the 2nd gen the ABS module control box is under the dash just to the left of the tranny tunnel. It’s a gold box about 1'X 4"X6" and the connector faces the firewall. I had changed that on mine too, to no avail. I also shot all the wiring to the ABS valve and all seemed to be correct. Mine was still on until I changed the fluid. :dunno: maybe I jarred loose some gunk. I have read in the past someone fixed either an ABS issue or not fluid to rear wheels by changing out the "coupler" in the brake line just under the driver’s door. Also on the 2nd gen the ABS valve is on the frame rail below the master cylinder, all others is back by the left rear wheel.

Oh yeah, the bleeding. Took about 15 or so pumps for the rear and 10 for the front to start getting clear fluid. I used a cool little one way bleed valve I got from NAPA for $4.00. Worked like a champ and no killing my hand using a vacuum pump or one of the kids and open, down, close, up, etc. Just pump the brakes and the oneway took care of the rest. Cheers!

Last edited:

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ohhh I hate quick TRS times me out!!!! Let's see if I can recall what I wrote.

Okay, I was lamenting wrenching all weekend when the weather was just gorgeous, oh well...

On the 2nd gen the ABS module control box is under the dash just to the left of the tranny tunnel. It’s a gold box about 1'X 4"X6" and the connector faces the firewall. I had changed that on mine too, to no avail. I also shot all the wiring to the ABS valve and all seemed to be correct. Mine was still on until I changed the fluid. :dunno: maybe I jarred loose some gunk. I have read in the past someone fixed either an ABS issue or not fluid to rear wheels by changing out the "coupler" in the brake line just under the driver’s door. Also on the 2nd gen the ABS valve is on the frame rail below the master cylinder, all others is back by the left rear wheel.

Oh yeah, the bleeding. Took about 15 or so pumps for the rear and 10 for the front to start getting clear fluid. I used a cool little one way bleed valve I got from NAPA for $4.00. Worked like a champ and no killing my hand using a vacuum pump or one of the kids and open, down, close, up, etc. Just pump the brakes and the oneway took care of the rest. Cheers!

Might go get this speed bleeder tomorrow, need more info on it if you have any.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's a simple item really. It was on the same rack as the gear pullers, brake pliers, things like that, and up here was $4.85. Don't know if would fit every bleed valve but it worked great on my BIIs and Explorer. It has a spring that keeps it from flying off. Just gotta check the fluid level in the reservoir every couple pumps to keep from draining it. I really need a larger reservoir to attach to the master cylinder to hold more fluid. I know I have seen them around, just have to do some research.

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My abs module is in the mail. Got those speed bleeders and hopefully that'll help more along with the abs module.

But with the module, I can get to it without having to take any part of the dash out?

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just slaved another box to the harness but IIRC it is just held in by a bracket you can get to kinda easily, didn't look like any disassembly of the dash was needed though.

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just changed it out last night. Putting the dash back together now since I ended up putting LED's in my instrument panel last night. But now I'm having a issue with the 4x4 button as stated in the other thread. Hoping this fixes the ABS problem and am gonna throw in the speed bleeders in the front calipers this weekend and try to get all of that nasty old fluid out and see if that helps out as well.

EDIT: Well took it on a test drive and still "Rear Anti-lock" light comes on now at 40mph instead of 35mph. So hoping this bleeding the brakes works and if not then ABS Proportioning Valve is the next part getting changed out.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals