• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New here and need some info

rs50fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am currently buying a 1996 Ford Ranger 4x4 3.0 160k miles with a lift with 35inch tires. I have a few questions. One how many mpg do you think i should get? I am going to hopfully get 32inch tires for DD? It needs a wheel bearing on the rf it grinds when 4wd is engaged. does this sound rite or could it be somthing else. Also is there anything else I should look for?
Thanks in advance
Brian.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
it ONLY grinds when it is in 4WD?? sounds like it could be a drvieshaft issue or in the front diff. i would think that if it were a wheel bearing it would do it in 2wd also. check for oil leaks also

rs50fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks here is what the guy said:(the wheel bearing is in the hub and its bindin when the hub is engaged) does this sound like it could be the bearing? I talked to another guy who had it before and thats what hesaid it needed.

R***A**N**G**E***R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am currently buying a 1996 Ford Ranger 4x4 3.0 160k miles with a lift with 35inch tires. I have a few questions. One how many mpg do you think i should get? I am going to hopfully get 32inch tires for DD? It needs a wheel bearing on the rf it grinds when 4wd is engaged. does this sound rite or could it be somthing else. Also is there anything else I should look for?
Thanks in advance
Brian.
Here are some videos of GRINDING auto hubs that are bad , there is also a popping sound in 1 of the videos. This is on a 1996 ranger 4x4 with auto hubs BEFORE I fixed them.

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
lol your bearing are not bad its the locking hubs that are causing that because that happens to me when the hubs did not unlock all the way!!!! try locking and unlocking the hubs and see if t goes away!!!!

rs50fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
how did you fix them? thanks for the help

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I just put the truck and in park and cycle the 4wd to 2wd until you hear the hub unlock!!

rs50fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the guy i'm buying it from says it only does it on the rf when the 4wd is locked. anymore help will be great thanks again

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
the guy i'm buying it from says it only does it on the rf when the 4wd is locked. anymore help will be great thanks again
my is the driver side tire but i think it is the hub is not locking all the way so that cause that noise!!

rs50fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
k cool thanks Il look into it when I get it. how hard is it to install new manual hubs if it already has them?

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
i can't imagine that it wouldn't be to hard but i know you need a special socket for the nut!!!

spnlthaxton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1 peice drive line swap

hey all i got a ? i have a 93 ranger supercab i read bout gbuys with 4wd lifted rangers swapping there 2pc drive shaft out for a 1pc to do away with the carrier bearing and vibration well mine is 2wd and slammed with a djm 4 inch flip kit and i have a 2 pc driveshaft and have the carrier bearing shim kit and all and still have vibration at about 15-20 mph my ? is can i do the 1pc shaft swap even though i am 2wd and would it be best to cut away the cross member that holds the carrier bearing or just the bracket off of the c member its self..i have 3 inch djm dream beams for the front but havent got them put on yet so yeah lol im riding bulldog style:headbang:

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
hey all i got a ? i have a 93 ranger supercab i read bout gbuys with 4wd lifted rangers swapping there 2pc drive shaft out for a 1pc to do away with the carrier bearing and vibration well mine is 2wd and slammed with a djm 4 inch flip kit and i have a 2 pc driveshaft and have the carrier bearing shim kit and all and still have vibration at about 15-20 mph my ? is can i do the 1pc shaft swap even though i am 2wd and would it be best to cut away the cross member that holds the carrier bearing or just the bracket off of the c member its self..i have 3 inch djm dream beams for the front but havent got them put on yet so yeah lol im riding bulldog style:headbang:
YO start a new thread man
:threadjacked:

rs50fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the help. any guess what the mpg will be on this thing with 35's?

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Has it been re-geared?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals