• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What REALLY is considered lift height?

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So a buddy and I were talking today about lift height.

When you're describing a lifted truck, does the increase in height gained SOLELY by bigger tires count towards the height of 'the lift'?

Increasing tires from a 28" to a 35" has a total difference of 7 inches, split the difference, for 3.5 inches of increased truck height (And, no, we're not getting technical about the bottom of the tire having a lower profile due to vehicle weight...its not significant in this case)

Assuming said truck has a 3 inch body lift, and a 6 inch suspension lift, should this truck be referred to as being lifted 9 inches, or 12.5"? And if you deem that the tire lift should count towards the total lifted height, would it then be safe to say that, 'That truck is lifted 12.5"'? (Where lifted 12.5 inches is an adjective?)

THEN, could you also say, 'That truck has a 12.5" lift!", or would be be then said that, 'That truck has a 9" lift!'? (Where 'the lift' is a noun, and tires are not actually a part of the lift)

Yes I have too much time on my hands.

Anxiously awaiting replies.

:icon_cheers:

Redneck Cowgirl

Reaction score
:stop: the total lift that can be counted is for example:

3" body lift, and a 6" suspention lift = 9"

One could say they have 9" lift.... the size of the tire does not count towards the "lift" ones truck has... Its could count towards clearance looking at the diff.... or frame hight, but does not count as part of there total "lift"

This is why in almost every converstation everyone who wheels has includes both of theses questions:
Is it lifted? How much?
AND
What size of tires you running???

:icon_cheers:

TRUNK_MONKEY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep
Transmission
Automatic
meh

i'd call it,from where it was (stock) to where it is now.by any means. and it really matters not anyway,as long as your parts dont rub and cut tires up,you are fine.
lift means nothing anyway.
how many lifted rigs do you see with 2 inches of u bolts pointing to the ground?seriously,i think people need to devote some time to "de-horning" the bottom of the trucks. lots of junk down there waiting to grab a rock or log and make ya really mad!!

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
tires don't count...you need the lift to fit bigger tires (usually, although that could mean my stock BII was lifted 1" from the 31's on it...lol)
the lift gives you height to run bigger tires and give you a better approach, departure, and break-over angle, and the tires give you more clearance under the diffs...

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I would count the suspension and/or bodylift but not anything gained by the tires alone. .02.

DK27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I would count the tires as gained ground clearance I believe.

High Desert Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It is the height of the suspension lift and the body lift and not icluding the height of the tires. Namely because the first 2 increases in height are structural changes to the the truck and tires a dress up change. One could put 12" of lift in the suspension and body of a truck and go smaller on the tire size. Would that mena that the decrease in the tire size counteracts the amount of the lift nope. Namely because wheels are very easy to change and I could quite literally change tire size every 30 minutes and have upwards of 30+ tires put on the vehicle in one day but that still doesn't count towards lift height.

Besides if you this about it; it is suspension Lift and body Lift and you never say tire Lift so in Lift height it is only suspension and body that counts.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The tires change the clearance and the bumper height. They do not change the lift.

Note that some "lift laws" really regulate the bumper height.

Honestly, when designing a truck for the trail, the lift doesn't matter. Only the clearance (and a few other issues like overhang and wheelbase).

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You can't use the tire because the flex IS significant. If you're measuring in half inch increments, certainly your tires compress 1/2" at the bottom at 28psi. And if you put less air into them that number can change to 1.5" quickly.

Note that some "lift laws" really regulate the bumper height
Yup. 30" for the horizontal parts of the bumpers to the ground, body lifts no bigger than 3", and the tires tucked into fenders are the only real requirements in PA.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've generally always excluded the tires from "lift" also.

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats what I thought too....Tires dont count

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Honestly, when designing a truck for the trail, the lift doesn't matter. Only the clearance (and a few other issues like overhang and wheelbase).

exactly...funtionality...

zuki

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
suzuki
Transmission
Automatic
Thats what I thought too....Tires dont count
yep, tires don't coun't -- unless you are selling your vehical on ebay, then for some reason it is ok.

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I have never counted tires. As already stated a LIFT is structural changes made to the trucks suspension or body.

But is tires where counted my truck would have air bags:icon_thumby: It changes a good few inches in height during and after snow wheelin, sssshhhhhhhhhhhh

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals