• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need help getting the bronco running

IlovemybroncII

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Chev
For
Engine Size
350/2.9/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
yay very happy you found problem way to go

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well today after running good for 30 minutes it started doing its bucking and dieing thing again! grr.

IlovemybroncII

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Chev
For
Engine Size
350/2.9/2.9
Transmission
Automatic

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
do the o2 sensor seriously everything sounds identical to what mine was experiencing i would fix one thing and it would seem to work good but then i would notice it about 15-30 mins after driving it.

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
about what I said =(
ran another ground from battery to frame. going to add a air/fuel ratio gauge tomorrow if I have time.
have to watch and see if the voltage meter goes to 0 also next time. doesn't seem to affect the starting circuit. so it is in the electrical or fuel circuit. Need to start reading the electrical diagrams

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I dont know if it has been asked about the computer you say the harness was changed with the engine is the computer different also. I know it is a stupid question but sometimes things get overlooked

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
believe the computer was changed with the dash swap. the swap was done in 2000 according to BAR sticker on door. So this is a new issue.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I know this is a bit off topic, but you know that those air/fuel exhaust meters are just glorified O2 sensors, right?

R+R your O2, see if it fixes anything, it really does sound exactly like an O2 sensor issue.

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know this is a bit off topic, but you know that those air/fuel exhaust meters are just glorified O2 sensors, right?

R+R your O2, see if it fixes anything, it really does sound exactly like an O2 sensor issue.
well the o2 meter that Im putting on is really a glorified volt meter. it plugs into the hot signal wire and shows a graphic output of what the voltage going back to the computer is.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's even worse :icon_rofl:

At least it will tell you if the O2 sensor it bad.

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's even worse :icon_rofl:

At least it will tell you if the O2 sensor it bad.
basically any O2 Gauge without a sensor is just a glorified Voltmeter.

trying to decide if I want to spend $120 for 2 O2 Sensors at Autozone. will probably hook up O2 sensor first as that will tell me if they are bad. course one of the best thing you can do to a modern motor is replace the O2 sensors once they are worn out.

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok - still bucking and stumbling even more after replacing O2 sensors. drivers side O2 sensor was pretty dirty. passenger side was about what you would expect.

took the hood off and hooked up my fuel pressure gauge to see if it is fuel system. Fuel pressure held at 30-32 psi the whole time the engine was bucking and stumbling. So that rules out the fuel pump, fuel strainer, fuel filter, fuel regulator.

Hooked up my timing light to number 2 spark plug wire to see if it would tell me something. The light was not consistent in flashing it would skip everything once in a while. however when it was dieing the most the timing light was still flashing 90% of the time. need to try the rest of the spark plugs to see if they are better or worse.

Last edited:

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh yeah still getting code 522 and 565 565 code((O) Canister Purge 1 solenoid/circuit failure) plus 528 for run time error.

I pull the engine harness and verified that the their is connectivity between the plug for the EGR purge cannister connector and the connector on the fender. Also verified that the purge cannister solenoid works correctly when 12volt is applied to it and does not pass vacuum when it is closed. however, when I checked for resistance across the solenoid it shows open.

the 522 and 528 speak to the clutch position switch being bad. so I might go replace that and see what happens

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Run it when it is dark out with no lights and see if you see arcing in any of the plug wires or coil wire sounds like a intermittent fault somewhere I allways hook my light up to the coil wire and look for breaks whenever timing. did you pull the plugs and check the gaps and for fouling. does the purge solenoid click when power is applied if it is bad but the studder is all about the spark the purge solenoid is just for fuel vapor not leaking into the atmosphere

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no blue arcs when it is running in the dark.

will pull plug wires and check them with ohm meter, plus pull plugs and check compression

the purge valve does click when power is applied. only reason chasing the codes as the scanner will not go beyond the KOEO codes

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals