• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My alignment experience

larrybjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok this has been a joke. The cams I bought wont work. The ball joint doesnt fit snug with the cam whatsoever. So from my experience stay away from Moog part # K80109. And i had to completely take my knuckle off to get my old cams out. so yeah its been an awesome day.

wakingtowinter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I feel your pain. I've been through 3 sets of camber sleeves since I got my truck, including the ones that were on when I got it. All started when I did my ball joints. The 3rd pair, (+4 -4) finally worked, and the first place I went to get it aligned didn't know how to adjust those ones (the two-way adjustable ones). Had to go to a specialty alignment/frame shop to get it done. They took two hours to do it, but it's pretty damn near perfect. Fortunately changing those bushings is a pretty easy job

Edit: didn't see you had to take the knuckle off. that sucks, I guess we have different front ends

Last edited:

larrybjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
here maybe these pics will show you what im talking about. One of the pics you will see how snug the old bushing fits, the next 2 you will see how sloppy the new one fit. This has been a nightmare.

Attachments

wakingtowinter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah that's garbage. Looks like whoever sold you that part didn't get the right one. What the hell happened to the old bushing? Is it possible the parts you're getting are incorrect because maybe the ball joints or steering knuckle are not OE?

larrybjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the bushing number crossed over to a D28 camber bushing. Good to know though.

larrybjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just replaced all the ball joints i figured while I was doing the lift might as well do everything. The bushing looks so bad because it wouldnt come out quietly. Yeah it was rough. The passenger side wont come out either. So will be tearing that apart. I put the bushing in and I was thinking well the catalog couldnt be wrong, so i put the castle nut and then i knew it wasnt right. Good ol Moog.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a set of these for my 28 sitting on a shelf had to buy new ones for my 35 there not the same.The 0-4 only goes that far on a 2 wheel drive they go to 3 1/4 degrees on a 4 wheel drive[the ball joints are further apart].Ive managed to take the old adjuster out by driving it with a punch from the bottom to get it started then pry it out.

I'm told how it's supposed to work is its put on the alignment rack you put a number on how far the camber is off.Then you take the stock fixed adjuster out reading the number on it[mine were zeros].Lastly you put the number the alignment rack told you on the chart that came with the adjusters and finally put that combo in with the adjusters.I have an old friend that used to own an alignment shop he did this for me and it really worked good.

larrybjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanx for the help. somethig i learned the hard way i guess. I had never experienced a ball joint spinning like it did while i was trying to tighten it and then i knew for sure this wasnt right. I work in parts too and when the catalog says it will fit and not ever doing camber bushings i took the catalog at face value. oh well at least i learned something today. gotta stay positive. But hey from what i learned today maybe someone will read this and will help save the next guy. :icon_thumby:

wakingtowinter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just replaced all the ball joints i figured while I was doing the lift might as well do everything. The bushing looks so bad because it wouldnt come out quietly. Yeah it was rough. The passenger side wont come out either. So will be tearing that apart. I put the bushing in and I was thinking well the catalog couldnt be wrong, so i put the castle nut and then i knew it wasnt right. Good ol Moog.
Yeah I know how that goes. When I did my ball joints, the bushing on the passenger side was pretty much locked onto the ball joint. After a lot of PB blaster and prying, I just got out the sawzall and sawed through the ball joint.

xBLAKEx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
What was the right bushing? I'm looking for D28 camber/caster bushings right now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals