• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

daily doubler build

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm putting a doubler in my daily driver, I'll post all progress/pics in this thread. I hope to be done and crawlin by next weekend. I got started tonight by taking my bed off and prepping the new gas tank.

tank taped up

coated with rubberized undercoating

and yep that's right, 20* outside and I'm workin in a t-shirt, thanks to this baby:

350,000btu

stay tuned, more progress to come

EDIT: I get way too many PM's asking me where I got my tank from. I got my tank from these guys. http://recycler.car-part.com/AlphaAuto/ Call them.

Last edited:

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
So the doubler is already built? What did you go with? Where did you get the sector shaft?

I am looking forward to the long term outcome of this. How many miles do you put on your truck each year?

97BlackBetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im interested too, i would really like to do a doubler as part of my build, but it is a dd.

:woot: 350,000 btu's! LUCKY!!!

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it's a doubler kit made by D.D. machine. good luck getting ahold of him though. I bought a manual t-case from a TRS member hoping to build one with the D.D. kit. I got ahold of him once and he said the shafts were at the heat treaters and it would be 2-3 weeks before he could ship em out. he put me on a list and said if he didn't call me back in the 3 weeks to give him a call. everyone was posting on other forums saying they've been waiting for up to 6 months and he keeps giving the same excuse. the 3 weeks came, and there was no call.

in the meantime, I saw in a thread at pirate where a guy was selling his doubler that he got from D.D.'s first batch back in 06. I PMed him right away and a week later it was sitting on my doorstep. the doubler I got from that member was already assembled (the crawl box) and ready to be installed. I'm relocating the breather hose as well as the fluid fill location to allow for better lubrication in the crawl box (thanks for the info junkie).

so to sum it all up it's a used D.D. kit, complete with clocking ring and sector shaft (one piece heat treated chromo). I put on 250-300 miles per week. I've talked to guys that have over 10k on this doubler so I'm fairly confident in its daily driving capabilities. and if for some reason I do grenade the internals, I've still got the stock case I bought from the TRS member to swap in. as far as I know I'm one of the few, if not only, people to install this doubler in a DD. we'll see what happens

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
more progress :headbang:

got my old tank out and the new one mocked up

before pic:

had to give the crossmember a little love

mocking the tank in for crossmember placement

it only hangs down ~6" (I know it's not level)

all the crap outta the old tank

I think my old tank was ready to come out-this is one of the old straps that held it in

an after pic with the crossmember bolted up and the old tank out

and to wrap up the night I put a coat on the top of the new tank

Last edited:

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I know I'm one of the few, if not only, people to install this doubler in a DD.

I DD'd my home brew doubler for about 3 weeks till I stripped the splines off the stub shaft.

So far looks good. Need to find a skid plate for that tank. I don't know how many times I was glad to have one on mine. And mine is pretty beat/scratched up already.

Ranger Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
is that a B2 tank??? im doing a doubler but with a divorced 205

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So far looks good. Need to find a skid plate for that tank. I don't know how many times I was glad to have one on mine. And mine is pretty beat/scratched up already.
it's the rear tank from an 85 ranger. in 88 and earlier rangers there was a dual tank option, so I got the factory tank, and AllanD hooked me up with the factory front crossmember. IIRC the BII tank hangs down ~9" so I'm tucked up a little tighter than that, I will be making a skid in the future though (probably not in this thread)

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Are you reusing the old sending unit in the new tank? The only reason I ask is because I'm putting a B2 tank into my 85 Ranger.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you reusing the old sending unit in the new tank? The only reason I ask is because I'm putting a B2 tank into my 85 Ranger.
that's the plan. I'm gonna have to shorten the unit and pump quite a bit though. pics to come

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I DD'ed my home fabbed doubler for about a half year before It became a trail only rig. If everything is lined up right they have no problems at highway speeds.

And you are damn lucky with that heater. The past few weeks I have been working with a 55,000 BTU heater in a drafty garage at –10* F, this winter has been cold.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I also used my home brew doubler in a DD for over a year. Still runs perfect, and has held up fine on the trail.

Ranger Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
can you still buy the rear tank??

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dave-yes, there's a company that sells them new. I'll PM you their web address.

Evan and Todd-I didn't know you guys DD'ed your rigs for a while. I enjoy hearing all the success stories, it helps reassure my decision to DD mine.

didn't make a whole lot of progress tonight. spent like 2 hours bending up the tank straps. that set me back pretty good. my bro's g/f is turning 21 tomorrow so I'm gonna take the day off :icon_cheers:. if I can get the pump/sending unit shortened up and installed thursday I'll still be in pretty good shape as far as getting the doubler in this weekend. here's a pic to keep ya interested ha

and this is the crawl box

Last edited:

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals