• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

STX and High Rider Info!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sport Rider replaced the high rider then?

I found a second gen at the JY, the engine is pulled out of it so I could see square tubing between the radius arm brackets and the frame, looked factory. Had the STX style stripes but didn't say STX anywhere, split bench seat, angular alloy wheels. What made it really unique was that it was also a std cab shortbox with a 4cyl 5 speed and a manual t-case.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sport Rider replaced the high rider then?

I found a second gen at the JY, the engine is pulled out of it so I could see square tubing between the radius arm brackets and the frame, looked factory. Had the STX style stripes but didn't say STX anywhere, split bench seat, angular alloy wheels. What made it really unique was that it was also a std cab shortbox with a 4cyl 5 speed and a manual t-case.
:shok:

Grab a bunch of pictures of it! And a picture of the door tag. If the motor mount brackets that bolt to the frame are still there grab those too.

My '89 brochure says that the "Sport Rider" package could have been ordered on any 4wd that year if so requested. It was just standard for all '89 STXs. I have yet to come across any other non-STX '89 4wd ranger to have said package though...

For it to be factory both the radius arm crossmember & passenger beam pivot bracket under thats under the engine would have to be riveted in. And the drivers beam bracket will be two pieces riveted together.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Edit, seems the 2.9l engine was mandatory in order to spec out the Sport Rider package (see pictures). You sure it wasn't a 2.9 truck originally? My guess is that ford made it an available option across the 4wd ranger lineup that year to use up excess inventory of those parts.

If you crawl under the truck there should be a fix yoke 1350 transfer case & a massive 1 3/16 in front sway bar under there as part of the Sport Rider package :icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It had the 2.3 emissions label

It had been there for awhile (I didn't pay much attention when I was there a few weeks before to the suspension) so it is probably gone now. Phone battery had died so no pics at the time.

Second gens don't have a whole lot of stuff for my first gen so I generally don't pay them a whole lot of attention.

It had mounts bolted to the frame, one had been torn apart and the other one didn't look too hot.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I just purchased an 88 high rider, running and moving for 100 bucks, it's a rotten pile but I'll take pics of all the brackets and upload them here before I take it apart, it seems that many of the images posted here are hosted on photobucket, hence the not working... Has all of the factory radius arm and axle pivot drop brackets with the massive sway bar, has some weird frame brackets also, not sure if they're specific to the high rider but I've never seen them on any other truck before. Rear sway bar appears to be similar or identical in design to the rear sway bars used in all rangers but I'll document that also. No brush guard or roll bar, I wish the seats were in better shape as they are the lowback bucket seats with the lumbar and thigh support

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals