• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

P0443 evaporative emissions control system purge-control valve circuit malfunction

98mazdaman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had my code for the cel read today and it said p0443 "evaporative emissions control system purge-control valve circuit malfunction." Where should I start on fixing this issue? All my truck info is to the left, and it now has 140 thousand miles. I've read it can be an evap cansister, or evap canister purge valve. I need to start with the most likely cause of the light (besides fuel cap not functioning. already tried that one lol). Any help appreciated!

98mazdaman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok. I took the purge control valve off the driver side fender side under the hood, and it looked ok. I know the charcoal canister is located above the spare tire. Does anyone know if there is a sensor or solenoid attached to the charcoal canister that needs to be checked? I looked at the charcoal canister, and it looked like there was some sort of sensor attached to it.

98mazdaman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well after replacing the canister purge valve/solenoid, a mechanic told me the likely problem is a bad pcm. I guess I'll get one of those.

LBPete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The code is for the purge valve circuit. Odds are you have a pinched wire not a bad PCM.
How is the purge control valve wired? Does the PCM just ground it to turn it on? If so, a pinched wire on the ground side of the circuit would keep it on all the time. Does it click when you unplug it?

- Pete

LBPete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here's what it says in the service manual for my 2000 Ranger 3.0. It should be the same for yours.
HX2 DTC P0443: CHECK VPWR VOLTAGE TO EVAP CANISTER PURGE VALVE
Key off.
Disconnect EVAP canister purge valve.
Key on, engine off.
Measure voltage between VPWR circuit at the EVAP canister purge valve harness connector and battery negative post.
Is voltage greater than 10.5 volts?
Yes No
KEY OFF. GO to HX3 . REPAIR open circuit.

- Pete

98mazdaman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Pete! The purge valve is connected by a quick connect set of electrical wires. I'm no sure how many wires are in the little connector. I don't here any clicking sound whenever I disconnect the connector, aside from the quick-connect coming apart. Are you speaking of the evap thing on the driver side fender under the hood? The thing that I have replaced is the purge valve solenoid that connect to the canister under the truck by the spare tire.

Last edited:

98mazdaman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok. I tested the voltage going to the evap thing on the left fender, and got about 11 volts with my cheap meter. Is this good or bad? And if bad, how to I distinguish between computer problem or wire problem? Thanks!

LBPete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you have power to it, next you have to check the wire between the PCM and the solenoid. It would really help you to have the service manual. Here's a diagram. Quick check would be to disconnect the connector from the PCM and ground pin 56. That should turn the valve on.

- Pete

Attachments

98mazdaman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks again Pete. You're right. I need to get a manual. Now you're talking about the solenoid at the back of the truck right?

LBPete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The purge control valve is usually on the carbon canister. I'm not sure where it is on your truck. You said you checked the power to it. Was it the connector on the purge control valve that you checked?

- Pete

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals