• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bottom end "knock", what could be the issue?

2000Ranger3.slo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alright, so this is not a new issue with my truck just something i figured i would ask about on here. My Ranger has bout 133k miles, still running strong, I love my little truck! But, ever since I can remember there has been this annoying knocking sound or kind of like marbles in my engine(ive heard that expression before thought id use it). When i first crank it its not very noticeable, once it warms up and is idling it is very noticeable. If i rev the engine up you can still hear it if you know what youre listening for but its alot louder when your next to it just lettin it idle. Any ideas would be awesome.
ONe other thing, my truck seems like it is slightly misfiring. I dont have any codes or nothing it just idles very rough, any ideas what could be causing that i thank ya!:beer:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm thinking you should better define the noise. A KNOCK usually sounds somewhat like a person KNOCKING on a door. A click sounds like marbles, cue balls hitting or snapping of fingers.
Knocking is usually a heavy sound form the crank or rod. WHile clicking is usually a top end sound.
Big JIm

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
agreed

i agree, the type of sound you have would be very helpful. knocking rods sound very different from lifters.

sometimes a cracked piston skirt can mimic a rod nocking.

exhaust leaks can take the sound of a lifter clicking.

the frequency of the knock relative to engine speed, say half speed or at speed can also be helpful.

:icon_thumby: :icon_thumby: :icon_thumby:

Rob

2000Ranger3.slo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hmm. A loud clicking sounds like a good description of the noise i'm hearing. My truck idles at about 600-700 rpm, thats when the noise is most noticeable. When i rev up my truck say 2000-2500 rpm the engine and fan noise drown out the clicking sound so you dont hear it is bad but its still there a little. Its the loudest or most noticeable just idling. I have listened under the hood and the noise seems to be coming from the underside somewhere from the crank back to the oil pan, i just cant localize it. When i rev the engine the clicking increases in speed but does not get louder, when it is idling the speed of the clicking slows down but the noise is louder and/or more noticable. I dont get it, but like i said it has not got worse over the 2 or 3 years ive been drivin it, its just there and if i can make it stop that would be awesome.

What should my truck idle at, is 600-700 normal? And what kind of spark plugs do you guys suggest, maybe thats why my truck kind of rocks when it idles? Liek the timing is wrong or theres a misfire, i dont know any suggestions appreciated..

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmm. A loud clicking sounds like a good description of the noise i'm hearing. My truck idles at about 600-700 rpm, thats when the noise is most noticeable. When i rev up my truck say 2000-2500 rpm the engine and fan noise drown out the clicking sound so you dont hear it is bad but its still there a little. Its the loudest or most noticeable just idling. I have listened under the hood and the noise seems to be coming from the underside somewhere from the crank back to the oil pan, i just cant localize it. When i rev the engine the clicking increases in speed but does not get louder, when it is idling the speed of the clicking slows down but the noise is louder and/or more noticable. I dont get it, but like i said it has not got worse over the 2 or 3 years ive been drivin it, its just there and if i can make it stop that would be awesome.

What should my truck idle at, is 600-700 normal? And what kind of spark plugs do you guys suggest, maybe thats why my truck kind of rocks when it idles? Liek the timing is wrong or theres a misfire, i dont know any suggestions appreciated..
Sounds like a top end noise! A rocker arm or lifter makes the click sound you describe. To find the location of the noise take a long screwdriver of a piece of wood dowel and place one end tightly against your ear and the other end on the engine while it is idleing.. By moving the end on the engine around you will be able to find the nearest place on the engine to the origin of the noise..

Yep! 6 or 700 is normal. No spark plug is EVER better than the one the factory put in there in the first place. Always find the factory plug when changing worn out plugs. Even if you must go back to Ford to get them. All other brand plugs are simply trying to do the same thing the factory ones do. As long as your factory plugs are working they are as good as new..
Big JIm:wub::hottubfun:

2000Ranger3.slo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I replaced the plugs n wires around 100k- i probably bought cheap parts then cuz of money situation. I think i should just buy some new OEM plugs n wires. Back to this noise though, it has been making this noise for atleast 2years...it hasnt got worse and doesnt seem to affect the performance. But i'll try listening a little closer and get back to ya.

What do you think might be casuing such a rough idle. Would my cam synchro cause any of my problems, bad coil pack or just crappy plugs and wires?

2000Ranger3.slo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'll check it and clean it if its dirty... What kind of issues does the cam synchronizer cause if its going bad? Hmm, i dont know. Anyone else who may have some suggestions of things to check either for the clicking noise i have described or why my truck idles so dang rough, it would greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone for the help!

2000Ranger3.slo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yea, i think i actually put some junk autolite plugs in it...shame on me!! So if the CPS is not squeking or making noise i dont need to worry with it? I wish i could localize or verify what exaclty that clicking noise is coming from, it hasnt got any worse and now i think about about it its been probably closer to 3 years its been makin that noise...uggh, its just annoying. thanks for the ideas

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
My truck does the same stupid thing, I cannot find it and it pisses me off. Mine has 104k on it and ticks from the bottom end. I have used a stethoscope on every part of the motor and have not been able to narrow it down. Just like your truck it doesn't seem to get worse nor does it hurt performance. My only theory is that one of the injectors is noisy enough to reverborate through the motor. My tick seems to be the same speed as the injectors when I rev it up. If you do happen to figure it out please let me know so I can figure this out. I can't hear it from under the hood only from the side of the truck.

Also the cps is not the part that starts squeeking it is the shaft itself. At the mileage you have on the truck I would replace the thing soon because it can also fail with no warning at all and grenade your motor. Not trying to freak you out but it is the reality of these motor. I have done just about every kind of maintanence on mine and the only thing I can't find is the noise.

Last edited:

GMWIGGS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 & 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I notice yours is the same year and engine as mine. I have the same sound coming from my engine almost exactly the way you described it. Was like that when I bought it. Its been looked at by several mechanics, had the tranny pulled, changed torque converter, pulled oil pan inspected bolts for main bearings and such. No one can figure out where the sound is coming from because it seems to resonate through the engine. I bought this truck with 72,000 miles on it. It now had 194,000 miles runs fine and still makes the same noise. At a hot idle, oil pressure is 20psi. I just forgot about it and drove it.

2000Ranger3.slo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My truck does the same stupid thing, I cannot find it and it pisses me off. Mine has 104k on it and ticks from the bottom end. I have used a stethoscope on every part of the motor and have not been able to narrow it down. Just like your truck it doesn't seem to get worse nor does it hurt performance. My only theory is that one of the injectors is noisy enough to reverborate through the motor. My tick seems to be the same speed as the injectors when I rev it up. If you do happen to figure it out please let me know so I can figure this out. I can't hear it from under the hood only from the side of the truck.

Also the cps is not the part that starts squeeking it is the shaft itself. At the mileage you have on the truck I would replace the thing soon because it can also fail with no warning at all and grenade your motor. Not trying to freak you out but it is the reality of these motor. I have done just about every kind of maintanence on mine and the only thing I can't find is the noise.
Right, i have been reading on replacing the shaft and sensor. the shaft is around 120 from auto aprts store. Do you reccomend any particular brand to go with or not go with or go OEM? And can you possibly tell me where i could find a good write up on replacing it or if you have an easy walk through to do it? Thanks for your help and i guess that noise is just something we gotta deal with, maybe one day someone will have an answer...:icon_cheers:

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
I was told to buy OEM and I went to the ford dealership to get it. I think it was a little under 150 bucks from them but I don't remember. There is an incredible write up inside one of the posts about this on this site. I don't remember where but I stumbled on it when I was researching it, it sounds worse than it is I can give you a quick step by step but I have only done mine so if you want me to send me a PM and I will write it up for you. Its good to know that other people have the exact same problem and it never got worse, stupid fords always tick.

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 and I have that same sound. I got under the truck and it almost sounds like it is coming from where the tranny mates to the engine. As you guys said though it must be resonating cause I can move around and it doesnt get quieter or louder. I always figured it was from the 2 time I drag raced it at the track and locked my transmission gears out. that sucked and i got a 19.9

GMWIGGS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 & 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 and I have that same sound. I got under the truck and it almost sounds like it is coming from where the tranny mates to the engine.
Thats exactly where the sound was coming from in mine. Its interesting and somewhat relieving to see that others with the 2000 3.0 are having the exact same problem. I thought it was just a fluke with my truck. I gotta tell you though, it drove me absolutely nuts for a couple of months. I had EVERYTHING checked out, and no one could figure it out. Like I said before, I quit worrying about it and just drive it.

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah me too, I have used a stethoscope on every part of the motor and can't narrow it down, the one thing all of you guys can try is checking to make sure your torque converter bolts are all tight, mine was missing one when I changed my oil pan gasket so I replaced it. Im wondering if that may be a cause of it somehow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals