• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B3200 PreRunner Build.

Shawn@BMS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. 6.2 no sweat, each to there own. I was a little leery at first but its growing on me. So far good feed back.

Stickshift, Still have the 7.5 373 open.... Its not terrible but its the weakest part on my truck. Im working on a good deal on a explorer 8.8. with 410s and a factor LSD. Should do the trick.

Picked up all my parts to convert to all heim steering. Should have that knocked out this weekend. Also got a and adjustable camber kit. Have it aligned and im good to go.

Shawn@BMS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Well i finally got around to building my steering. I went with a stock heim set up. The steering is so much tighter than before. The steering cost me about $150. I think it was a good bang for buck. I used 3/4 heims with 33deg high alignments reduced to 5/8. I drilled out my pitman arm and spindles 5/8". And used 5/8" grade 8 hardware with locking nuts. I used 1.25" 120 wall tubing with weld in right and left hand bungs. Over all a pretty easy task. I also installed my much needed camber kit.

I picked up a 8.8 out of a 98 ranger. Nice thing that it has 4.10s with a trac lock. The guy i bought it from was going to use it for a turbo ranger and had the rear end powder coated. Also because it's from a ranger as i only have to modify the passenger side shock mount and flip it around. I also picked up some 12" travel fox shock. So ill be moving my 10"s to the front and getting rid of my 8"s. Im going to try to knock out the rear end and shocks this weekend.

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
Awesome! Glad to see you are still working on this thing!

Shawn@BMS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Thanks DD. Still chip'n away....

Long day working on the truck. I pulled the bed off to get good access of everything. I pulled the 7.5 out. I thought i had 373 gears. Found out i read the tag wrong. I ended up having 345 gears. When i had the 8.8 and 7.5 next to each other i noticed the drums were a lot bigger on the 8.8. I flipped the passenger side shock mount backwards so both shocks ran to the back. While i welded the shock mount on i welded the axle tubes to the pumpkin. I read to do that as they are just pressed and glued together. I made a cross brace that i welded to the frame to hold the top shock mounts. Ill have to say the stuffing 12" travel shocks under the bed with a good shock angle/travel was pretty difficult but i think i got it set up pretty good. Im happy with how everything turned out. Its been a long time since i was able to drive up a hill with the AC on. The 4.10s defiantly help. I was an all day event doing all of the work by myself.

I feel like i finally have my suspension/steering/drivetrain in a good place.I think ill be looking into coilovers and a engine cage next. I desperately need to finish my radius arms and make some radius arm boxes as i know my modified stock arms are not cutting it. Id still like to make a light rack. I forgot to bring my camera home. Pics soon. She's getting there....

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Why didn't you mount the tie rods [terminology] above the spindle arms? Wouldn't that give slightly better geometry?
Any way, great work,

Richard

Shawn@BMS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hey Richard,

The drivers side top mount is turned to "swing" The drivers side could handle almost any angle as it would be near impossible for the heims to bind. The Passenger side on the other hand could eventually bind but its and a more gradual angle, but i still think it would out preform my current shock set up. I also plan to get a drop pitman arm. That will make for better geometry.

"Why didn't you mount the tie rods [terminology] above the spindle arms?"

To be honest i did a lot of research on single swing and stock style heim steering and iv always seen it mounted on the bottom. For what reason i have no idea. Seems to work well though.

CodyXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 1999 2006
Make / Model
Ford
Lincoln
Engine Size
4.0 V6, 5.4 V8 Supercharged, 5.4 V8 Triton
Transmission
Automatic
Where in florida do u go off roading at?

Shawn@BMS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Cody,

I see your in orlando. If your familiar with 414 (new toll road). There is an old dirt excavating area (about 40-50 acres) that is pretty fun to play in. Its all sand and has some cool elevation and places to jump. Also just after Sanford area just off i4 there are lots of sandy fire roads. Up in Jacksonville there is a bunch of good spots too.

FFparker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just read your whole build. Awesome progress man. I live in apopka And I swear I have seen your truck before. Last time was on I4 in the maitland area. I'm more of an active member on FRF but I troll on here every now and then. We are having a meet july 14th you should come out!

Shawn@BMS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hey FF Parker. I live in Maitland. I own a business in Apopka. Im sure it was my truck. Not to many "prerunner" style trucks around here.

FRF (Raptor forums?)

Thanks

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Just read through this, very good job! Its nice to see a well built truck, the hackjobs can be pretty scary! i wanna trim my bedsides, just cant bring my self to do it... their so nice and rust free!

I want those grabbers so bad, but with my truck seeing 80% pavement, they just dont work for me. 12" shocks will work nice for ya, they make a big improvement on ride. If your still running an overload, remove it... you'll thank me :)

Keep the updates coming, im excited to see whats next for you.

FFparker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey FF Parker. I live in Maitland. I own a business in Apopka. Im sure it was my truck. Not to many "prerunner" style trucks around here.

FRF (Raptor forums?)

Thanks
FordRangerForum.com
Really what business?

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
dont remove the overloads becuase youll ruin your leaf packs from sagging

Shawn@BMS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
06RangerXLT,
Thanks for the comments. When i did the 64" swap i removed the overload. I weaved some ranger leafs in and had them re-arched. They work pretty good. A national pack is in the future.

FFParker,
I own a Carbon Fiber company. We specialize in high quality one-offs, prototyping, exotics, fire arms, etc. You name it. www.Composite-Art.com

Rose2300,
I dont haul much in the bed of my truck. They overload is not great for articulation. most off road guys remove them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals