• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

33x12.50 on a 7 inch rim ???

dirtracer81_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just ordered a set of 33x12.50's because they were so much cheaper then a 10.50 but the problem occurs that the tire place recommended atleast an 8 inch rim. The guy working there told me they have put them on 7 inch rims and if I run a few psi lower then recommended they will wear fine. Im currently looking for a set of wheels now but I sure do love my mickey thompson classics. What do yall guys think?

fordboi415

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Manual
Lower psi might help a little but they are going to balloon out and definatly wear unevenly, its do able though

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
for a 33 a 8inch MINIMUM.... i have 4 mounted on 8s are their wearing great.. i have my spare mounted on a 7 its definitely ballooned out

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I mounted my 11.50s on 7" and they looked bad. I went to 8". I have mounted a lot of 12.50s on 8" though.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I was running a setup like that and I was using 25 psi and it was still too much as it wore out the center pretty quick. So you'd be looking at around 20-23 psi per tire to have them wear evenly. Also depends on the weight of the truck. Most time you may get away with the setup if you are rotating your tires often and checking for wear. Sometimes if you don't check often it may be too late and the tires could pick up a bad wear pattern and it's hard to correct.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
By mounting a wide tire on a narrow rim, it will not only effect the wear of the tire... but also effect the handling too. When a wide tire is mounted on a narrow wheel, it sucks the side walls in causing the tire to "roll under" the vehicle more easily. With a wider wheel on a wide tire being used, the side walls of the tire are more perpendicular thus allowing the tire to support it's self better on a side load. An optimal wheel will actually stretch the sidewall out a little. With that being said, that idea of stretching the side wall out is great for a "road handling" idea... but not so great for off road applications where you want the tire to flex and absorb. If you go to the manufacturers web site, they will list an "optimal" wheel width for that specific tire. I would go with that spec..... but if you go with the 15 X 8" wheel, you should be in the ball park.

Last edited:

dirtracer81_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok thanks...
I guess im looking for some wheels if anyone has any for sale let me know.
My tires are supposed to be in tuesday and I start back to college the 12th so time is running short. Id run the tires i got now but tire defect and the belts are splitting in the back ones and still have a lot of tread left.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You never said what diameter, I got a set of stock ranger rims, I have a set of chrome 17 inch rims. (Possibly both are 7.5 and wont work for you, I'll have to measure.

dirtracer81_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have 15 inch and thats what size i ordered.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals