• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lifted 4 Door Crew Cab Ranger Build

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I'm far enough with my build, that I figure I'll post a build thread.

I've had a crew cab Ranger dream for a quite a few years now, and creeps back into my mind fairly often. With a few changes to life, I now work 3/4-12's (alternating 3 and 4 days off in a row!!) and no longer have someone to tell me to come inside from the garage! So, I decided to start my dream truck.

It's starting out with a 94 Mazda B4000, that I bought from a friend after it was rolled over, and thoroughly abused. Then I have a 95 or 96 regular cab parts truck that is donating the rear cab, and probably dash/ a few interior parts. The rest of the parts, excluding the extended cab parts truck I still need to find, are just parts I have laying around. I have a few parts, since the Mazda is my 10th RBV. I have another plan/ idea up my sleeve for later on, but I'm going to let everybody wonder (if you know me, and know what it is, don't spill the beans!) if somebody guesses it, I'll say it.
I've always told myself I'd never have a lifted street truck, but here I am building one... My "goal" is 3" body lift, 4-5" suspension, and 35's, and if funds allow it, it will get an 04+ nose to round off the "mini Superduty" look.

On to the pictures!!

Here's my photoshop of the goal, minus the color, and it will be a little lower

The starter truck:

one parts truck

I started by cutting up 2 doors a couple months ago, just to make sure it was going to work.

Then I brought the Mazda in, and started pulling it apart, and getting the cab off

I realized I would be in the garage a lot, so I bought a mini fridge from a friend, to keep barly pop in

I pulled the trigger on the air hammer and sawzall a few times, and started getting the cab rough trimmed.

Next came the regular cab parts truck cab, which was already off the frame.

Then came rough trimming the front off of that cab, which leaves me with a core support for another Ranger, and the dash, which I'm going to try and put into the 4 door. If it doesn't work, its not the end of the world, I'd just like to have the newer dash and airbag/s.

I scored a d30 for free from the same friend I bought the Mazda from. He said it blew up the spiders gears, but the cover hasn't been off yet. there's definitely something broke or striped, but it doesn't seem like an axle.

The cabs were rough trimmed enough to start sliding them together, and start further trimming.

And finally, where it sits as of today! The back door is justing held up with tie downs, so that I could tell how far the rear cab needed to come forward.
I'm not sure yet, for the gap at the top of the doors (3-4" at the top, narrowing to nothing around the body line), if I'm going to extend the front door like the photoshop, extend the rear door, or do a filler panel like a 90's 4 door F-250 would have. I'm leaning towards the filler panel.

I'm almost to a stopping point until I find a cheap extended cab parts truck, because I need the rear part of the door jam, to for the back edge of the new B-pillar. I will also need the seats, possible the frame, and a few misc. interior parts. the Mazda frame is bent, but fixable, I'd just rather start with a straight one through.

Last edited:

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
subscribed for sure, thats a lot more progress than ive seen from other attempts. keep up the work and finish it already PLEASE

FordRanger89

05/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
wow this is going to be so sick!!!!
I will be watching.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Awesome!
What's your plan for rear door glass? Explorer windows might be an option.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I looked into custom glass, but the one company I found with a price online, was $1200 I think for 2 windows...
I'll probably use plexi glass, or lexan. I've heard lexan looks more like glass, but scratches easier, but it's probably what I'll use.

jhammel85

So far so good! Extra bracing wasn't needed to hold the cab's structure as you work?

Mudstomper99

Law Enforcement
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So far so good! Extra bracing wasn't needed to hold the cab's structure as you work?
Not really, no. The floor is really the most flimsy part. I'm kind of surprised how sturdy the regular cab section is, with the firewall and windshield cut out!
The cab is actually 13mm out of square from being rolled, which I didn't notice until I started cutting it. It should come out with a good shove once the floors are welded together.

The truck will be getting sliders like I did on my ex girlfriend's Ranger.
The rocker will get cut out, and 2x4 box will get put in its place. I have a thread about them already, somewhere.

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I like the rocker panels.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
) if somebody guesses it, I'll say it... it will get an 04+ nose to round off the "mini Superduty" look.
I'm guessing dually.

Nice start, I hope this one gets finished. There have been a few unfinished attempts over the years.

jhammel85

Not really, no. The floor is really the most flimsy part. I'm kind of surprised how sturdy the regular cab section is, with the firewall and windshield cut out!
The cab is actually 13mm out of square from being rolled, which I didn't notice until I started cutting it. It should come out with a good shove once the floors are welded together.

The truck will be getting sliders like I did on my ex girlfriend's Ranger.
The rocker will get cut out, and 2x4 box will get put in its place. I have a thread about them already, somewhere.

Nice! That sure makes it easier. Looking forward to seeing the rest (and yeah, those rocksliders are pretty sweet!)

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm guessing dually.

Nice start, I hope this one gets finished. There have been a few unfinished attempts over the years.
No, that would be interesting but pointless.
Since you're the one that guessed, I guess I'll just say it. To top the truck off, my plan is a 4BT.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Just saw a 4bt on cl last week. Wish I had the money I would of bought it for my rig!
Super cool build man! I'm subin!

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals