• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 Motor with 5.7 rods

birdmanslopy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
intresting... im curious on how much more stroke it has and what size it is afterwards, plus if the cheby parts fit without mods... im about to buy a spare 2.3 for my truck and plan on doing some mods for a wee bit more power without turbo, theres no replacement for displacement :) plus chevy parts are cheap around here.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Never happened, Bro. The bore would be too large for the block and that would weaken the block or ruin the water jackets. The rods would be too log to fit. They would have to had a one off crank made or custom rods made up and I don't think they would spend the money to have done that. Enjoy the stories, he may not be around too long.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
The 350 has a 4 inch bore and the 2.3 has a 3.52 inch bore. That'd way to take from the cylinder walls, if that much is even there.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I believe when they say 5.7 rods, it actually means 5.7" like THESE

birdmanslopy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Never happened, Bro. The bore would be too large for the block and that would weaken the block or ruin the water jackets. The rods would be too log to fit. They would have to had a one off crank made or custom rods made up and I don't think they would spend the money to have done that. Enjoy the stories, he may not be around too long.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/23L-Ford-Super-Stock-Rods-57-Inch,1795.html

theres multiple sites selling them rods, thats one of em. i havent found anything about pistons yet

birdmanslopy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok found out its a 2.3 piston thats .30 over on one setup

Last edited:

birdmanslopy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
now seeing this i can only now imagine the possibilities, 2.3 or 2.5 block, 5.7 rods with .30 or .40 over on the pistons throw a volvo b123f head on it :O that would be a nasty 4cyl n/a!!

birdmanslopy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
just found a writeup online about a setup

I am running a 4 cylinder ford 2.3 OHV (not OHC) motor. I am wanting to grind the crankshaft down and put different longer rods, and lightweight pistons.

Stock crankshaft weighs about 28 pounds.
Stock Main Journl Diameter is: 2.24985
Stock Rod Journal Diameter is: 2.1236
Stock Stroke is: 3.3"
Stock Deck Height is: 8.7"

I want to have it ground down to 2.0" on the rod journals. I just checked, and the rod journals on the crank are SOLID. no holes drilled through the rod journal.

now the question I have is actually about the rods. the rods I want to use have a big end width of .990

My stock rods have a big end width of .991

Is that going to be an issue???

Wanting to use the 5.7 crower or manley rods for the 2.3 ford OHC motor ( http://www.marketworks.com/StoreFrontPr ... i=16291202 ) with some Keith Black flat top chevy 305 pistons std. size for a 6 inch rod(.056 overbore for my motor, though). Doing the math, this gets me pretty close to deck height and I can just have the block zero decked after that.

I thought of having it offset ground to get a little more stroke out of it as well.

this is in a racing application, turning the motor at a max of 6500-7000 RPM.

Any thoughts or concerns I should be looking at??

thoughts on cost???

thanks
mlburgoon

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
2.3 OHV, must be the 2.3 HSC(high swirl combustion)... the HSC is based on the ford falcon strait 6, with 2 cylinders whacked off. it was used in the ford tempo, early fleet tarus(2.5L), and mercury topaz. i was thinking of these motors recently but there seems to be no market for upgrades for them... Anyone know the 2.3 HSC well and how good it was?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
now seeing this i can only now imagine the possibilities, 2.3 or 2.5 block, 5.7 rods with .30 or .40 over on the pistons throw a volvo b123f head on it :O that would be a nasty 4cyl n/a!!
I've always thought the Volvo head on the ford was kinda dumbass compared to simply using the whole volvo engine... in fact why bother with a DOHC 4cyl Volvo when a Volvo 2.5 5cylinder would fit just as easily...

What trans you ask? why not the Rear wheel drive Volvo trans?

It's not like you are going to put a revvy turbo engine into a 4x4 ranger so at the cost of a custom driveshaft, exhaust, etc...

at stock boost some varients of the Volvo 2.5 5cyl make as much power as some of the most heavily modded 2.3's that aren't really "streetable" anymore...

birdmanslopy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've always thought the Volvo head on the ford was kinda dumbass compared to simply using the whole volvo engine... in fact why bother with a DOHC 4cyl Volvo when a Volvo 2.5 5cylinder would fit just as easily...

What trans you ask? why not the Rear wheel drive Volvo trans?

It's not like you are going to put a revvy turbo engine into a 4x4 ranger so at the cost of a custom driveshaft, exhaust, etc...

at stock boost some varients of the Volvo 2.5 5cyl make as much power as some of the most heavily modded 2.3's that aren't really "streetable" anymore...
anythings streetable, just cool to know theres new doors to hybrid 2.3 to 2.5 motors. id rather see a high hp n/a 4 banger before i see a turbo on the side of it

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
All I can think of is to check Esslinger engineering for horsepower building stuff for the 2.3.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals