• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BUCKING ranger

beater ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Well the cylinder head is on and the truck runs for the most part. when driving trying to pick up speed, unless done very delicately, the engine falls flat on its face and acts like it doesnt want to start after it stalls. Ive been over it twice and everything is hooked up and hooked up right. wondering which sensors are the most likely culprits or if there might be another trick for diagnosing this problem that you fellow ranger people have come up with. I really need to have this truck finished and running so I would really appreciate some insight here, thanks

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Unplug the MAF on the intake, if thats makes it a little better your problem is either o2 sensor or the MAF itself. Otherwise, check your timing, and tps.

beater ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I guess I should have mentioned that this is a D I S engine. when i unpluged the maf sensor, the idle went down a little bit. when i open the throttle, the motor tries to die, but if I take it up slow sitting in neutral it seems ok. Hope this helps point the way, thanks again

beater ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm thinking of checking the fuel lines as they were disconnected when the head came out. playing it over and over in my head, it seems to fit with whats happening as before the fix, the engine ran as good as it could ... with a burnt exhaust valve. I would think that the lines are not interchangeable, but i cant swear to it as i just slid under the truck and reattached them without giving it much thought. Well, here goes nothing

beater ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, the fuel lines are not interchangeable, which is what i would expect so thats not it. Now the truck wont even start and it was running well yesterday, at an idle anyway. now the motor kicks violently a couple of times and quits. this really sucks:icon_confused::pissedoff:

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Did you plug the maf back in? Clean your IAC and TPS, EGR and anything else you can think of. Check your trouble shooting guide in our tech section up top.

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
how is your fuel pressure? one of you fuel pumps could have died (if it has the duel pumps) or it could be the internal fuel strainer? they do clog up causing the motor to not get enough gas.

beater ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Appreciate the input and will check the aforementioned items. Im just really getting stressed about this thing cause as stated previously, it ran reasonable before the head came off, well, as reasonable as an engine with a burnt valve can run. really puzzled as to what could have happened.:icon_confused: thanks again for input. Also looking for testing procedures for whatever components I can test in the electronics area of the truck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals