• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bent or extended beams?

hutch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
would bent or extended beams be better for a mild prerunner thats still gunna be my dd? i was looking at autofabs bent beams but today i saw a listing on craigslist that threat motorsports was having a sale on extended beams. either way would be about the same price now. i have heard nothing but good stuff about threat but i havent heard much about autofab. im not planning on running coilovers yet either but defintialy some non-coilover remote resi shocks with shock hoops. what do you guys think....should i go bent or extended?

ckblum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
How much were the Threat Motorsports beams going for? Was it just the beams?

Autofab makes an econo kit that is pretty good, never used it but never heard any complaints. It comes with basically everything you need.

What else did Threat Motorsports include? Just beams? Could you post a link to the ad?

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The Threat kit owns Autofab....If you can afford it, I'd take the Threat kit in a heart beat.

-andrew

bmxryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just a question. whats the upside to the bent beams? are they extended at all? i dont see why you would go with bent beams just for a lift when you could put drop down brackets on stock beams and get the same effect.

btw 1,600 bucks for that suspension looks like a good price

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
No drop bracketry means a stronger more reliable suspension. Usually (not always) bent beams are extended for a larger track width as well, giving stability and more wheel travel.

-andrew

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
drop brackets are prone to breaking. the extension of the brackets multiplies the force on the frame.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
alll depends on how far you want to go with it.and how much money you have to spend.

if you looking to gain some height as cheap as possible, the autofab econo kit is hard the beat. add shocks,brakes lines and bumpstops and your pretty well set for as cheap as you can go with new parts.

IF you have the extra bucks for the Threat kit right off the bat, you can't beat the price you get with Threat.

IMO, if you can affrod the threat kit,shock hoops,and smoth body's beg borrow or pawn, for the few extra bucks and go with coil overs.

hutch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im leaning towards threats extended beams now cause it seems that the majority of prerunners end up going with extended beams anyhow so i might as well start out with them. will i need a drop pitman or anything like that if im going from stock to extended beams? an with 32" tires and fiberglass fenders how big of a coil should i be looking for?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I don't have any information on Threat Motorsports. I think I checked one time and their site was under construction.

I'd like to see them added here:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2wdlifts.html

And maybe here:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/WheelTravel.html

I'd like to get someone to submit a write up with photos on installing an extended beam and definitely one on an equal length beam long travel suspension kit. Would also like to see some articles on steering kits.

Dave, if you wanted to contribute some articles to the site it would give Threat Motorsports a ton of FREE publicity. Our primary focus may not be prerunners, but we get a crap load of off-road Ranger owners that visit this site

Plus we have magazines like Fourwheeler telling readers to come here for Ranger tech information.

Just something to think about.

hutch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for all the info dave. i emailed you through the craigslist posting. i look forward to hearing from you. and thanks to everyone else for all their input aswell.

marcehboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Threat's kit is the best i've seen out there and I plan on getting one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals